This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Away From Home For A Whole Month!

Guest TerpyTaylor

Guest TerpyTaylor

Hi everyone :) I was just recently accepted to work at a camp in North Carolina for a month with horses this summer, which I am very excited about! However, I'm worried about the food situation of course. I've talked to the camp about my condition and they are going to do their best to feed me, but I'm still a little concerned. I am going to bring a lot of my own food, but I'm going to need things that won't need to be refridgerated and stuff. I'm mostly just worried about staying healthy and getting all the nutrients I need. I know I'm going to be so hesitant to eat anything there, because it can be so hard for people to understand how careful I need them to be, and I dread getting sick while sharing a bunkroom and bathroom with so many other people. My mom will send me care packages, and I know that the camp will have lots of fresh fruit, but has anyone else had a situation similiar to this one? If anyone has some ideas, I would love to hear them! I have a feeling I'm going to end up living on trail mix that month!!!

Blessings!

Taylor :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Try to find out, if there's a health food store or a giants near you. Giants has several sections with glutenfree noodles and cereals and so would the health food store. Do you have the possibility to make something on your own, like in a self-cooking kitchen or something?

Hugs, Stef

minibabe Contributor

I would def. bring alot of your own non-perishable items.....like gluten-free pretzels, envirokids bars, trailmix etc. I know what you are going to be going through, when i go to school, I do not eat anything there because I am so afraid of what might happen. I used to ride horses, and my sister goes to horse camp in the summer, what camp are you going to be going to? I wish you the best of luck :)

Guest TerpyTaylor

Thanks for the quick feedback! I didn't even think of gluten-free pretzels, I love those! The camp is a Young Life camp outside of Ashville, NC. I didn't think of checking for health food stores either, but I have a friend who goes to an environmentally concentrated college called Warren Wilson in that area and she talks about the health food options she has there, so I'm sure it won't be hard to find one! I feel less worried already!!! :D

Blessings,

Taylor

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Maybe the camp would furnish or allow you to have a small refrigerator in your cabin/room. Then you could buy things like gluten-free lunchmeat, cheese, some amy's meals to eat. If they won't go for that, then possibly they would allow you to have a small portion of the fridge in their big kitchen to keep some perishable items.

Otherwise things such as:

*nuts (cashews, pistachios, peanuts)

*peanut butter and gluten-free rice/popcorn cakes

*envirokidz bars

*genisoy bars

*glutino blueberry breakfast bars (like nutrigrain breakfast bars but gluten-free)

*fresh fruits

*think thin low carb bars

*pudding in togo cups

*take some plastic silverware with you

*paper plates

*dry cereal (i'm sure you could use their milk)

* Fresh veggies (maybe take a bottle of your own salad dressing)

*corn tortillas (those keep for a long time, can melt cheese in them)

*canned foods (such as hormel tamales, veggies, hash, little weenies)

*Mrs May's Snacks (nuts)

*candy bars like snickers, those are pretty filling

Hope that gives you a few ideas

-Jessica :rolleyes:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

TerpyTaylor-You will like the Young Life camp. Have you been there before? I went for a week to a Young Life camp about 3 or 4 years ago and I had so much fun. I would bring alot of on the go snacks. Little bags of chips or pretzels, envirokidz bars, snickers bars(not the heathiest choice but still good), cereals,and things that will last a while. Also maybe things like tuna that are easy to make but nutritious. I would look into health food stores near there though because they probably have a selection of gluten free foods in there. Have fun :D

astyanax Rookie

ensure

they say it's best chilled but i've found it's still pretty good at a cool room temp (like when i leave it in my locker at school, an area that stays pretty cool)

that's a great way to get vitamins and fill you up with some calories!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
wildkitty Newbie

We always take instant grits to eat for breakfast with us when we travel (individual packages..just add hot water).

Tillamook Country Smoker Old-Fashioned Beef Steak Nuggets are great for lunch or snack. Order them through www.tcsjerky.com

And our latest favorite available from our "regular" grocery store are Thai Kitchen products. (www.thaikitchen.com) Stir a raw egg into their Rice Noodle Bowls (the egg will cook in the hot soup) and you have a delicious meal! :D

Trish Strat

gluten-free since 2002

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

The camp should at least have fruits and veggies to supply you with. Those are always great to eat.

I like the idea about the instant grits. I am sure there are other foods like that,too.

Have fun and good luck!

lovegrov Collaborator

Vienna sausage, tuna and chicken in foil packages (even have flavors now), nuts, beef jerky,.

richard

Guest TerpyTaylor

Those ideas are great! I really needed some protein ideas. My biggest concern is actually protein. I'll be doing a lot of physical work with the horses but I won't want to eat the meat at the camp as it all has a lot of seasonings and the chicken is probably injected with chicken broth- it's not the greatest quality stuff in the world! And all of those things I can bring with me and have my mom mail more of if it's hard for me to get to a grocery store.

I'm so much less worried now, eating won't be nearly as hard as I thought! :D

Blessings,

Taylor

lpellegr Collaborator

Some other options: Individually wrapped cheddar cheese sticks, peanut butter in individual tubes (or a jar that you don't share with anyone), those flat packs of tuna, small cans of Bush's baked beans that you can just pop open and microwave or even eat at room temp (these are all good when you have to pack lunches because you're out on the trail). Some brands of chili are safe. Microwave popcorn for a snack. Can somebody ship you care packages midway through your stay? Before you go make a batch of gluten-free granola from one of the Gluten-Free Gourmet cookbooks and that should last you through a week or two of breakfasts.

• 1 month later...
princessfuzzball Rookie

If you are worried about protein, I found a great VEG based protein powder, it works wonders. When I went gluten-free, I noted that I was not getting enough and did my homework, the one I use is a vegterian powder that's soy free (I find I have reactions to soy), and gets the protein from ptoatoes, rice and peas. It's good if you can get your hands on frozen fruit and put it in a smoothie, it covers up the small bit of the chalky tase you find with any protein powder.

• 7 months later...
hipretty Apprentice

princessfuzzball,

What's it called....this protein powder?

• 2 months later...
cultureslayer Rookie

When I'm late for work, I have whey protein powder and a banana for breakfast. I found mine in with the other body builder type supplements at wally world (although I bought IronTek cookies and cream from vitaglo this time, we'll see how that goes but the company says it is gluten free and I love cookie flavor). The container has a ripped male torso on it, very easy to spot :lol: Most of the lactose has been removed, but I have no idea if it would bother someone with a lactose problem.

Most of the protein powders I looked into are fine. When I run out of milk, I mix some up and put it on my cereal. I found powdered soymilk from NOW (also ordered from vitaglo) that I'm going to try. Supposedly no heat needed, just mix into water so I'll try that too.

I'm going to be trapped in airports and planes for over 13 hours with no provided meals, so I'll probably just bring cereal and protein and soymilk powder with a few cheese sticks and some fruit.

Archived