arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anti-anxiety...short Term Medication- Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

#16 harp1

harp1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

I forgot to mention Doxepin - it's an antidepressant (almost certain) that's also good for itching related to DH (not that you have that). I take it before I go to sleep along with the Formula 303- works really well. Just an idea. Susan :P
Diagnosed by Doctor (w/o tests) Celiac, Soy Diary 2001
Major Peripheral Neuropathy/DH/Tremor Meltdown 2002 Hands
2008 B12 and Magnesium shots
Extraordinary/brilliant nutritionist made all the difference
Much better today 2009

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 coldnight

coldnight

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:16 AM

I forgot to mention Doxepin - it's an antidepressant (almost certain) that's also good for itching related to DH (not that you have that). I take it before I go to sleep along with the Formula 303- works really well. Just an idea. Susan :P

Yea, you are right. It is a very old anti-depressant, they don't use it much for just that purpose these days. It slows motility and is pretty good for itching.

If anyone starts that though, start on a weekend. The first time I took it, I think I slept for about 16 hours. =) That wears off pretty quickly though.

#18 bjn555

bjn555

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:37 AM

I've battled depression most of my life, but am thrilled to be taking fish oil every morning (2tbs) and take 100mg of 5HTP (a dietary supplement found in most health food stores) at bedtime. You may need only 50 mg to start. This combination keeps me upbeat and not so bothered by everyday stresses. One time I went off of the 5HTP and within 5 days crashed into a deep depression....so it works. Xanax makes me tired, which leads to depression, because I just don't feel good. I highly recommend going the holistic route. Best wishes!

#19 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:00 PM

be aware that it is contraindicated to be on 5htp and an antidepressant at the same time. (not saying anyone here is - I was on 5htp before starting an antidepressant (cymbalta, for fibromyalgia), and had to discontinue the 5htp. good to know about these things ahead of time.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#20 bjn555

bjn555

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

be aware that it is contraindicated to be on 5htp and an antidepressant at the same time. (not saying anyone here is - I was on 5htp before starting an antidepressant (cymbalta, for fibromyalgia), and had to discontinue the 5htp. good to know about these things ahead of time.)

You are so right about the antidepressants.......and I totally forgot that one should wait 6 hours to space out 5HTP if any alcohol has been consumed. Sorry for the memory lapse! :)

#21 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:24 AM

I have mild depression, especially seasonally, and I take St. Jon's Wort for that. It works well for me to take that edge off.

#22 jetiduncan

jetiduncan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:04 AM

I'd suggest a sublingual methylcobalamin form of B12, 3mg or more per day. Preferably spread out in three doses. Most B12 supplements are inferior to this type, but here's one which I know of, and it's gluten-free: https://www.webvitam...t.aspx?id=13888 [/quote]

Good Afternoon:

I can't get my son to do the sublingual form of B12.. Is there another way to do this for a child?

Thanks for any suggestions,

#23 A long journey

A long journey

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

I had my doubts as to my celiac diagnosis because I didn't get all the tests. (I was diagnosed Celiac as a baby but they said I 'grew out of it' (that was the theory at the time.

Coming off the Effexor was a nightmare. Anxiety 24/7. insomnia, multiple panic attacks daily. I am committed to supplements for this reason.

I definitely get alot more anxiety/panic attacks/insomnia from being glutenned. It depends alot on my overall situation and stress in my life, but my body reaction to Gluten is the biggest stress of all.
I was eating Gluten in June without even knowing it (someone elses cooking) and I was layed out with anxiety I could barely make it throught the day and was heavily meditating and practicing my breathing exercises to get through work. Scary.

Here's what is working for me now: Gluten free, no sugar, cut the coffee back (even one cup is noticeable. Exercise, breathing and meditation. I take a liquid form of Magnesium with Calcium, 5 HTP 50mg x3 a day, and, believe it or not NIACIN!, which was a wonderfull discovery. I take the Fish OIL, and multi-vitamins religiously. And its working, knock on wood. I sleep through the night, and although I wake early.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: