88 replies to this topic

#1 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:49 PM

Day 5 for me on oil pulling for me. If you have never heard of it, google it "oil pulling". It is an ancient Ayurvedic form of detoxification and healing. It boasts many claims and I am primarily using it to improve my teeth and gums (something it supposedly excels at). It is inexpensive, perfectly safe and cannot hurt. So I am giving it a go and I know a few others are as well.

Day one I used Virgin Coconut Oil from "Coconut Oil Supreme". It is simply the BEST coconut oil money can buy. It smells like fresh coconuts and is pure white. Everything else I have ever tried smelled a bit of "toasted" coconut oil and had an off-white appearance. It was most evident when I bought Coconut Oil Supreme and compared it to my other supposedly virgin coconut oil. Not so, most coconut oils are heated and that makes it "toasted". I want the good stuff!!

Anyway, Day one and two were with coconut oil and I noticed nothing.

Day 3, 4 and 5 have been with cold pressed sesame oil. I can honestly say my teeth are much whiter (just as people all over the net claim). It does whiten your teeth. The coconut didnt whiten my teeth. The sesame did.

With this I have had some "healing" signs with an exacerbation of old symptoms for a few days. Hopefully they will clear up soon and I can get on with healing!
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mftnchn

mftnchn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:06 PM

I've been using sunflower oil, the other recommended oil. 3-4 days now. My teeth feel cleaner and even tingle after the oil pulling (afterward I rinse well and then brush my teeth). I also think my teeth are whiter. But have a ways to go. I will be delighted if this helps whiten my teeth.

I'm not sure about detox because I have some symptoms off and on from other treatments.

It has been awhile since I tried sesame but I've been allergic in the past. I'll stick with the sunflower for awhile and see.
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

#3 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:44 AM

This is an interesting topic, and something I've never heard of before.

I am wondering if the kinds of oil that work can be determined by their fatty acid and/or antioxidant profile.

Here's a chart of fatty acid composition for many common oils:
http://www.scientifi...attyacids1.html
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#4 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:05 AM

It stands to reason some of the fatty acids could be absorbed through the mucus membranes of the mouth. Sublingually if you will. And many oils have antimicrobial activities, so it makes sense that oil pulling could kill off bad guys in the mouth. Also the friction involved in swishing could certainly remove surface stains and debris.

It is an interesting experiment. Day 6 for me. No negative feeling today. I have a close eye on 2 areas of my gums that I would LOVE to see regenerate. 24 more days to go with his test!
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#5 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

I have been interested in trying this...so glad you are posting your results...Thanks!
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#6 Amber M

Amber M

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:11 PM

I have been interested in trying this...so glad you are posting your results...Thanks!

Shay, so glad you started the thread. Okay, I am using "Cold Pressed Virgin Sesame Oil" and I am on my fourth day. First 3 were a combination of whiter teeth, cleaner mouth, a mild sore throat and horseness. I spit up some mucus the 2nd day. (the book I bought said that could happen and even temporary larengitis) I was very achy the 3rd day, in general not great feeling. Today, (4th), feeling better than I have in 2 weeks, but still have my charlie horse in my calve, (been there for over 2 weeks again). Less achy,slight sore throat for awhile (very dry throat right after pulling for a few minutes). Ear fluids completly dried out, no plugged ear. Horse for a bit after. Not to be gross, but my bowel this morning was the most normal it has been in two months. (just wondering if it may be due to the oil perhaps pulling out bacteria from my colon?) My teeth are rid of stains and getting whiter and my mouth feels totally clean. I rinse, floss and brush after too. In general, I had a really good day compared to the last few weeks.
Amber Martin
Gluten Free since Mid July 2008 (except a few slips)
Soy Free for over 30 years, Corn free Jan. 2009
Allergic to Clams, legumes, Soy, Pine Pollen
Still can't digest all grains (except brown rice), processed sugar
Gene Test: HLA-DQB1-Allele 1 0301
HLA-DQB1-Allele 2 0603 (genes from both parents)
Serologic equivalent HLA-DQ 3,1 (subtype 7,6)
Imulogical Gluten Sensitivity
Gluten Ataxia
Tested negative for Celiac on Blood Test after being gluten free
Tested negative for Celiac on Single Biopsy-upper intest. after being gluten free for 3 months
Candida

#7 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:16 PM

Im am feeling better today too. I had a bit of mucus, but none today. Mostly I want to see those gums regenerate. If it does that, then I will be a BELIEVER!!

#8 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

Here is a link to questions and answers about OP...I haven't read them ALL...it's long. I think the reason why I never tried the OP is b/c of all my fillings <_<

http://www.earthclin..._questions.html
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#9 Amber M

Amber M

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

Im am feeling better today too. I had a bit of mucus, but none today. Mostly I want to see those gums regenerate. If it does that, then I will be a BELIEVER!!

Day 5 for me. I had stuff in my throat this mornings pull. I made it the 20 minutes and upon spitting the oil out, my gag reflex kicked in, yup!! Just a bit of mucus. I was headachy all afternoon and tired, could have cralwed into bed. My gums bled a bit when I brushed after, for the first time. Funny they bled at the dentists last week but I hadn't noticed any blood this last few months. I had read about the "healing crisis" in the book, so maybe that's whats up. It had also said it may bring out some skin things that you have had problems with. That was funny because on my right foot I have had one little area that breaks out every 6 or 8 months or so with what I assume is athlet's food or some kind of fungus. (because it burns and itches). Well, it surfaced last night with a vengence. When I read that part today I wondered if it could be the oil pulling that drew it out again. Very interesting. In general I had a good day yesterday, kinda sucky today. I figure by Christmas, I will be completely healed!! LOL!! Just kidding........
Amber Martin
Gluten Ataxia
Tested negative for Celiac on Single Biopsy-upper intest. after being gluten free for 3 months
Candida

#10 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:11 PM

Do y'all brush your teeth with regular toothpaste afterwards or a special toothpaste?

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#11 Amber M

Amber M

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:27 PM

Do y'all brush your teeth with regular toothpaste afterwards or a special toothpaste?

I use my regular Toms toothpaste, but I noticed it burns a bit. I got some "sensitive" Toms and will be trying that. The book just says to brush if you want after, but no mention of the type. So, I assume any you usually use.
Amber Martin
Gluten Ataxia
Candida

#12 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

I've been rinsing real good with warm water, sea salt and baking soda. Really feels super clean afterwards. :)

What am I....a week in. So far so good!

#13 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:16 PM

Glad for the comments about rinsing. I like the baking soda and salt idea. Been brushing with baking soda or salt. I like brushing well after, the whole mouth.

I think my teeth are whiter, but I have my eye on the color of a crown I have from years back that was at that time a good match. If my teeth get that white, I'll be a believer for sure. But if not, they at least feel much much cleaner.

Can't be sure about symptoms, yet. But I figure it will take time.
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

#14 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:59 AM

I tried it this morning after reading a bunch of literature last night. Like Shay said, can't hurt!! I have a horrible gag reflex, tried focusing on breathing thru my nose and did it while I was in the shower for another distration-I made it 10 minutes before I felt like I had to vomit, so I spit it out and had to use my minty toothpaste to stop the gagging. I only had the coconut oil at home, I will stop and get the recommended oil on my way home tonight. My teeth feel super clean like after you get your braces removed. ;) I'm really interested to see what happens in the next few weeks-if I can keep it down...

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#15 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:25 AM

I have read that some people really have to fight the "gag" reflex. I am thankfully I dont have that issue. I went 10 minutes the first time, but have discovered I have to do a full 15 to make it completely white and foamy like is recommended. I dont do 20 as that just seems overkill.

Mommy - maybe try with a smaller amount and build up to 1 Tlb. Or go for 5 minutes for awhile and build up to 15.

It is too early for me to declare victory (only 1 week) but I do believe my gums are looking better in my trouble area (bottom front have 2 spots where the gums need to fill in). I am so very hopeful!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: