This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Foods For Healthy Weight Gain?

raisin

raisin Enthusiast

Are there any specific foods that tend to help celiacs gain weight?

I'd love specific plain food items, recipes, or prepackaged items!

Restrictions are; No oats, milk, soy, dairy, yeast, and minimal eggs. No non-dedicated-line products.

I have started gaining a little, but my system is just to eat as much as I can without feeling sick.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

efb416 Newbie
Are there any specific foods that tend to help celiacs gain weight?

I'd love specific plain food items, recipes, or prepackaged items!

Restrictions are; No oats, milk, soy, dairy, yeast, and minimal eggs. No non-dedicated-line products.

I have started gaining a little, but my system is just to eat as much as I can without feeling sick.

I'm in a similar situation, celiac (no oats either), lactose and fructose intolerant, with several undiagnosed sensitivities. Having seen several dieticians, the best advice I was given to date was to try to increase the amount of protein and fats in my diet (wether adding more olive oil to things or using it more in cooking, eating more high calorie foods, etc). Fiber was also important, however, I have yet to find one that I can use given my conditions. I don't know if it will help, so far I've just been able to maintain my weight after loosing so much prior to diagnosis. Hopefully someone else can offer more knowledge or their experience?

ShayFL Enthusiast

I was able to gain eating healthy oils (olive, flax, etc.), nuts and seeds and winter squash/sweet potatoes. I also eat all meats. It has taken a long time though. I have put on a good 8 much needed pounds over the last 8 months.

missy'smom Collaborator

I'm there with you both. It's hard work just maintaining my weight let alone gaining. I have to have limited carbs and little or no sugar. I've been told, in addition to what's been mentioned, to eat P.B. and avacados. My diet tends to be low in fats I think, because I don't like animal fat and I eat alot of natural unprocessed foods and don't like them swimming in butter or dressing etc. I have taken to putting Earthbalance on things even when I don't really want it, just for the few extra calories and fats. I know finding a soy-free spread is like finding a needle in a haystack though. I feel like I must be crazy sometimes, trying to train myself to eat the way the rest of unhealthy America eats. My bloodwork seems great, showing that my diet is healthy, it's just my weight that makes me seem not so. I would rather drink a spoonful of olive oil than drown my salad in it. I get frustrated with the avacados though and don't eat them as often, waiting for them to ripen and having them not be ready when I'm ready to make things that go with them. Just thinking aloud but maybe I should switch to oil packed tuna, instead of the water packed, don't know if it's the heart healthy oil though. BTW a banana has about 81 calories. A while back I sat down and kept a record of my meals and looked up added up the calories for each meal and added in simple natural things to each meal or those that were lacking in calories, like those bananas at breakfast and other things at other meals, that had more calories. I now have further restrictions so can't eat a whole banana, but at the time, it worked and I was able to gain some weight. Here is a list of the calories in foods. Open Original Shared Link I forget how many extra calories over how much time equals a gain of how many pounds but depending on where you're at, a few small steps, stuck with over time may make a difference. Good luck!

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Another high-calorie, nutrient-dense food is coconut. It makes a wonderful cooking oil. You can also use coconut milk to make smoothies instead of dairy. Depending on how sweet you like it, you might want to add a little bit of stevia, honey, real maple syrup, agave nectar, etc... If you can tolerate gluten-free baked goods like muffins you could even add shredded coconut to the batter.

Nuts are great because they're healthy (lots of minerals and antioxidants), but very high in calories. I've been eating almond butter on rice crackers and find it very satisfying.

Yam Enthusiast Newbie

As my name implies, I am enthusiastic about our friend the yam, or sweet potato. One of the healthiest foods out there, and almost no one on the planet is allergic to it.

Cooking them is so simple. Just slice them in half lengthwise, coat in a small amount of oil (whatever oil you choose... I use extra light olive oil), and put them in a shallow roasting plan with tin-foil draped over them loosely (let air ventilate). Roast slow at 350 degrees for 60-75 minutes. Remove, let cool, and remove skins.

Then do what you want with them. Can mash them with butter and pumpkin-pie spices. Or with fresh lime juice and a drop of hot chili oil (if you can handle a touch of heat). Add a pinch of salt to your desired degree.

I was extremely skinny -- as in "OMG is he okay?" skinny -- when first diagnosed with full blown celiac and intestinal damage. Mashed sweet potatoes were one of the only weight-gain foods I could handle in the early months. I have slowly gained 20-25 lbs over three years and am starting to look and feel much healthier now. Yam Power!

Treen Bean Apprentice

I too was one of those "oh my gosh! Is she okay!" skinny people. I have been gluten free for 2 years now. It took about one year before I was able to put on any significant weight. I found that baking various muffins and freezing them helped me. That way, I could eat 2-3 muffins a day as snacks. They were readily available, calorie dense, and allergen free! My favorites were the sour cream blueberry muffin recipe from www.glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com (Karina's Kitchen) and a peanut butter, banana, and chocolate chip muffin recipe that I just sort of made up. I used non-dairy sour cream and a dairy free baking and pancake mix for the blueberry recipe. For the PB recipe, I used soy nut butter and Enjoy Life allergen free chocolate chips (they are dairy free, soy free, nut free, gluten free, etc...). I also incorporated a good bit of extra virgin olive oil in my cooking. I also added a calorie dense snack each night before bed. (this ranged from a Lara bar to a gluten/casein free waffle smeared with soy nut butter and all natural fruit spread). I know it is frustrating, but the weight will come. Just be patient. I am know back up to 106 lbs. from 79lbs. I feel like I have my life back. It took a while but every tear and frustration was worth it.

Stay strong!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

efb416 Newbie
I too was one of those "oh my gosh! Is she okay!" skinny people. I have been gluten free for 2 years now. It took about one year before I was able to put on any significant weight. I found that baking various muffins and freezing them helped me. That way, I could eat 2-3 muffins a day as snacks. They were readily available, calorie dense, and allergen free! My favorites were the sour cream blueberry muffin recipe from www.glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com (Karina's Kitchen) and a peanut butter, banana, and chocolate chip muffin recipe that I just sort of made up. I used non-dairy sour cream and a dairy free baking and pancake mix for the blueberry recipe. For the PB recipe, I used soy nut butter and Enjoy Life allergen free chocolate chips (they are dairy free, soy free, nut free, gluten free, etc...). I also incorporated a good bit of extra virgin olive oil in my cooking. I also added a calorie dense snack each night before bed. (this ranged from a Lara bar to a gluten/casein free waffle smeared with soy nut butter and all natural fruit spread). I know it is frustrating, but the weight will come. Just be patient. I am know back up to 106 lbs. from 79lbs. I feel like I have my life back. It took a while but every tear and frustration was worth it.

Stay strong!

Thanks for the advice. I will take all the above into account.

• 3 weeks later...
raisin Enthusiast

I have added to my diet; Flax seeds, eggs, more olive oil, Bob's Red Mill muffins, and occasional rice.

It must be helping, because I've gained 4lbs! B)

I tried but can't stomach yams or sweet potatoes. Too sweet/rich. I have to look more into nuts.

I'm afraid caffeine is negating some of my calories.. :o Does it work that way?

efb416 Newbie
I have added to my diet; Flax seeds, eggs, more olive oil, Bob's Red Mill muffins, and occasional rice.

It must be helping, because I've gained 4lbs! B)

I tried but can't stomach yams or sweet potatoes. Too sweet/rich. I have to look more into nuts.

I'm afraid caffeine is negating some of my calories.. :o Does it work that way?

Thanks also! I don't have a lot of experience with flax seeds, do I need to cook them or are they okay to consume raw? (sprinkle on salads, etc.. ) Another question I have is what types of grains other than rice should I be consuming if I want to gain any weight? I know you mentioned you only eat rice occasionally, and I too have a problem with Sweet potatoes, yams, and other vegetables high in fructose (squash etc.). It's nice to hear it is possible to gain some weight after all this! And that other people have, even if it is only a little at a time!

raisin Enthusiast

I just eat flax in snack form - Foods Alive brand flax crackers, they are a common ingredient in many Enjoy Life foods, too.

I love casava (yuca root - tapioca flour) for weight gain. I only tried a little so far, but plan to make it a regular part of my diet.

I would eat rice more if I had a rice cooker, don't know if it helps me gain weight, but it sure is filling. I credit most of my wait gain to regular potatoes, and extra virgin olive oil. :o

Savoy cabbage is much more calorie-filled than regular cabbage. Raw broccoli has twice of calorie of cooked. Apples have a good bit more calories than most other fruits Black and Raspberries aren't too low in calorie, and watermelon, too. Helps a little.

Archived