This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Canada Into Usa What Can I Bring Across The Border

honeybuzzed

honeybuzzed Rookie

I am driving across the boarder. I would like to pre-make a bunch of meals to go with me but I am not sure how the US border with like that? Do they accept veggies and fruit if it is like in a frozen casserole? I have looked at the websites and they do talk about fresh fruits and veggies but not if it is homemade pre-made stuff.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Meat will be problematic at the border. Citrus fruit can not be imported into the US under any circumstances, even if it originally came from the US. Food other than that in original factory-sealed packages will usually pass. I would not be optimistic about home-made food. You can't prove what it is, and the border agent can't verify it.

I know that this is not what you want to hear, but this is the reality I have encountered in crossing the border many times. I carry a US passport, and that does not make any difference when I try to bring agricultural products into the US.

honeybuzzed Rookie
Meat will be problematic at the border. Citrus fruit can not be imported into the US under any circumstances, even if it originally came from the US. Food other than that in original factory-sealed packages will usually pass. I would not be optimistic about home-made food. You can't prove what it is, and the border agent can't verify it.

I know that this is not what you want to hear, but this is the reality I have encountered in crossing the border many times. I carry a US passport, and that does not make any difference when I try to bring agricultural products into the US.

Thanks for getting back to me... no it might not be something I would like to hear but the truth is what I want. I would rather that then getting a fine or wasting a bunch of food at the border. Have they ever refused anything of yours? What do they do when that happens?

tarnalberry Community Regular

If they're going to refuse something, they confiscate it. And generally throw it away. (I've had a number of oranges thrown away because of this when driving back home from Whistler. ;) ) Things like bananas are ok, though. ;)

Lisa16 Collaborator

I live in MN and have crossed back and forth frequently. I am 2+ hours South of the border.

I have successfully crossed back into the US with jars of peanut butter, crackers, cans of tuna and other fish, cookies, bottled and canned drinks (including citrus juices in tetrapaks), candy, gum, chocolate, yogurt and cheese, fresh non citrus fruit (including bananas, plums, melons and berries,) dried fruit (there are these glazed apricot confections that you can buy from a specialty store in Vancouver that I love) and even a few fresh vegetables cut up (like carrots and celery and cucumber) and hard boiled eggs. When I go there I usually eat in grocery stores and make stuff to eat in my hotel room.

They have never fined me or taken anything away (but they are getting tougher all the time. When I was a kid they never even stopped us on either side-- if there was a border stop at all.) Oh yes-- you can bring medicines across too.

If you try to go across with stuff like that you should be okay-- plus you will have something to eat! And depending on wehere you cross, you can usually find stuff easily (and maybe even more cheaply, although with our dollar as it is you never know!)

I would not attempt a casserole or anything like that.

Good luck!

Archived