5 replies to this topic

#1 puffinlover

puffinlover

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:07 AM

Announced yesterday, Starfish (subsidiary of Pacific Seafoods) has introduced a new line of all-natural & gluten-free crispy battered wild harvested seafood products. They include a gluten-free version of halibut, cod & haddock crispy battered offerings. I haven't tried them yet but they say they are available nationally at Whole Foods & numerous indepedent grocers. Yeah - fish & chips again!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 happygirl

happygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for sharing this info!

#3 puffinlover

puffinlover

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

Thanks for sharing this info!

You are welcome & I want to let you know, I did check them out on cross-contaimination issues. Here is their letter:

Thank you for message regarding our Starfish Gluten Free Battered Fish portions. The question you ask is a very good one and has been a concern of ours as we developed our Gluten Free products. We have been in development of our Gluten Free batter for nearly 3 years. Three years ago we saw a need for a Gluten Free seafood batter that those suffering with Celiac Disease would not need to compromise quality, taste or texture. This turned out to be more challenging than we had first thought, but after 3 years and dozens of formulas we have introduced a batter that many have claimed is better than our wheat based products. I for one agree with that assessment.

But quality, texture and taste would be of no use to those suffering with Celiac Disease if it was not verifiably Gluten Free. This was another challenge for us. As you know, the FDA standard for Gluten Free is 20 PPM (parts per million) of Gluten. Our goal is 10 PPM (which is the Celiac Sprue Association target) or less and we have accomplished this by strict and tough standards created in our US-FDA HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points) plan. Our plan tracks the process from the making of the batter until the final packing of the battered fish portions. Our processing areas are thoroughly sanitized before and after each production. First we use litmus test of all machinery to assure there are no traces of Gluten on the machinery. All Gluten Free batter is stored and wrapped in separate location than any other batters or breading.

After each production we do a full lab test of Gluten particles in our final packaged products. No product leaves our cold storage to the stores before we receive a full and final lab analysis. To date all of our tests have passed with flying colors. We have not only met the standard requirements set by FDA but have exceeded them. Each lab test has been returned as “None Detected” meaning that less than 10 PPM of Gluten has been found in our products. (Our Gluten Free products are also Peanut Free, Milk Free, Soy Free, and Egg Free).

I appreciate the opportunity to explain our verification process. We are also filing for certification with the Celiac Sprue Association and hope to have this completed soon.

I hope you enjoy our Gluten Free Halibut, Cod and Haddock. We will introduce new items soon including some breaded items.

Thank you,

Bob O’Bryant

General Manager

Starfish Inc

A Pacific Seafood Group Company

#4 happygirl

happygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:14 AM

That is awesome that this company "gets it" and is so forthright about its testing procedures! Definitely a company I will support.

Thank you for taking the time to find this information out and share it with the rest of us.

#5 GabbysMommy

GabbysMommy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

My daughter is 3. We having been batteling her celiacs since she has been born. We did not find out until just after her 1st birthday. It has been a rough struggle with finding foods and making gluten free foods to her liking. I was shopping today and stumbled upon this in the seafood section of my local groceries. It was honestly the best fish we have had. My daughter loved it. I'm so thankful for this. Keep stuff like this coming... yours truly Gabby's Mom.

#6 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

My daughter is 3. We having been batteling her celiacs since she has been born. We did not find out until just after her 1st birthday. It has been a rough struggle with finding foods and making gluten free foods to her liking. I was shopping today and stumbled upon this in the seafood section of my local groceries. It was honestly the best fish we have had. My daughter loved it. I'm so thankful for this. Keep stuff like this coming... yours truly Gabby's Mom.

Just an FYI, the original info is about 5 years old. Products can change in that time but I bet you checked the product to see if it was still gluten-free?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: