Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Guten Free Crispy Battered Seafood

6 posts in this topic

Announced yesterday, Starfish (subsidiary of Pacific Seafoods) has introduced a new line of all-natural & gluten-free crispy battered wild harvested seafood products. They include a gluten-free version of halibut, cod & haddock crispy battered offerings. I haven't tried them yet but they say they are available nationally at Whole Foods & numerous indepedent grocers. Yeah - fish & chips again!

Thanks for sharing this info!

You are welcome & I want to let you know, I did check them out on cross-contaimination issues. Here is their letter:

Thank you for message regarding our Starfish Gluten Free Battered Fish portions. The question you ask is a very good one and has been a concern of ours as we developed our Gluten Free products. We have been in development of our Gluten Free batter for nearly 3 years. Three years ago we saw a need for a Gluten Free seafood batter that those suffering with Celiac Disease would not need to compromise quality, taste or texture. This turned out to be more challenging than we had first thought, but after 3 years and dozens of formulas we have introduced a batter that many have claimed is better than our wheat based products. I for one agree with that assessment.

But quality, texture and taste would be of no use to those suffering with Celiac Disease if it was not verifiably Gluten Free. This was another challenge for us. As you know, the FDA standard for Gluten Free is 20 PPM (parts per million) of Gluten. Our goal is 10 PPM (which is the Celiac Sprue Association target) or less and we have accomplished this by strict and tough standards created in our US-FDA HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points) plan. Our plan tracks the process from the making of the batter until the final packing of the battered fish portions. Our processing areas are thoroughly sanitized before and after each production. First we use litmus test of all machinery to assure there are no traces of Gluten on the machinery. All Gluten Free batter is stored and wrapped in separate location than any other batters or breading.

After each production we do a full lab test of Gluten particles in our final packaged products. No product leaves our cold storage to the stores before we receive a full and final lab analysis. To date all of our tests have passed with flying colors. We have not only met the standard requirements set by FDA but have exceeded them. Each lab test has been returned as

That is awesome that this company "gets it" and is so forthright about its testing procedures! Definitely a company I will support.

Thank you for taking the time to find this information out and share it with the rest of us.

My daughter is 3. We having been batteling her celiacs since she has been born. We did not find out until just after her 1st birthday. It has been a rough struggle with finding foods and making gluten free foods to her liking. I was shopping today and stumbled upon this in the seafood section of my local groceries. It was honestly the best fish we have had. My daughter loved it. I'm so thankful for this. Keep stuff like this coming... yours truly Gabby's Mom.

My daughter is 3. We having been batteling her celiacs since she has been born. We did not find out until just after her 1st birthday. It has been a rough struggle with finding foods and making gluten free foods to her liking. I was shopping today and stumbled upon this in the seafood section of my local groceries. It was honestly the best fish we have had. My daughter loved it. I'm so thankful for this. Keep stuff like this coming... yours truly Gabby's Mom.

Just an FYI, the original info is about 5 years old. Products can change in that time but I bet you checked the product to see if it was still gluten-free?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• artificial sweeteners?
      Some artificial sweeteners give me a stomach ache/bloating.  some do not.   Its pretty immediate.  I have never heard of a food intolerance that manifests like the flu or a virus.  Maybe your bars were bad/food poisoning?
    • Gluten free diet, positive celiac screen...what should I eat now?
      I think it might be worthwhile to call the GI's office and talk about their plan now.  Find out if they can setup the endoscopy now, rather than wait until your appointment.  Tell them what your positive result was, or make sure they have a copy of the test done and the result.  If they want another celiac antibody test panel, you might be able to get that done ahead of time.
    • Pins And Needles
      Just came back to update! There was a cancellation at the neuro so I got in this past Tuesday. Physical exam normal and he didn't suspect a neuro disease. Plan was to run some bloods & then MRI if nothing & then EMG if nothing in the first two. He said he sees autoimmune folks every now & again and sometimes they get to the end of the testing & nothing is found. Told him it wouldn't be the worst thing. So bloods for vitamin deficiencies, MS and Lupus were run. I also went to family dr and adrenal testing was going to start. Got bloods back yesterday and it was NOTHING I expected. All was normal but the B6. I am toxic! Look up those symptoms & I'm the poster child! It started 10 days into gluten-free diet. Just not sure why. Stopped my multi vitamin & feel the twitches are way less in the past 24+ hours. I just knew this was something I added or took away. B6 is water soluble so I should flush it but I'm not. Why? That's the next round. Thanks Cristiana and everyone else for your replies and eyes to read my freak out a few weeks ago. 
    • artificial sweeteners?
      A few weeks ago I ate a quest bar and ended up feeling a bit sick for the rest of the day, and that night I started feeling nauseous and had the chills, shortness of breath, and ended up staying up all night because I just didn't feel well. I thought maybe it was too much fiber or protein, I definitely don't get enough of either (working on it) so I thought perhaps going from barely any to quite a bit could be it. Then I scrapped that idea, thought it was corn. I've heard that corn can cause symptoms similar to gluten.. but I eat other things with corn in them on a regular basis, so nope. Finally, I thought maybe it could be artificial sweeteners. I'm not a big fan and generally try to avoid them so I haven't had them in a while. Well, yesterday I had another quest bar left so I opened it and took the smallest bite in the world.. I mean it was practically a crumb. I also happened to eat a piece of sugar free gum so it could have been either one. But shortly after I started to feel kind of 'off', which turned into the same overall bad feeling that I had last time and I didn't sleep until 7am because of it. The reaction wasn't as bad as last time, but it definitely wasn't pleasant. But whether it was the gum or the bar it seems hard to believe that such a small amount would make me feel that sick.. Though if I had that much gluten I would be dead to the world for days, so maybe not THAT unlikely. However, I then noticed that the antacid that I sometimes take if I get glutened or something has sorbitol in it and I've never felt sick from that. So does it just happen that sorbitol doesn't make me sick but other sweeteners do? Also, I've never liked drinking diet soda because for as long as I can remember it has made my stomach upset. Not like this, but just that 'off' feeling for a couple hours after drinking it. Does anyone else get sick from artificial sweeteners? I'm hoping this is it, otherwise I'm kind of at a loss. I can't think of anything else in those bars that would make me sick and it doesn't seem like a coincidence that I got sick both times I tried eating them. I know it wasn't gluten either because I ate pretty plain things both days, nothing out of the ordinary that would do that. Plus the reaction is different. It's similar to gluten but not the same, with gluten it's (at first) just my stomach and with this like I said it's just a general sick feeling. What do you think? 
    • Mcdonald's French Fries
      Great discussion! These are my take-aways in researching this site and several others (not just for McD's but other items like beer & wine for a friend who crafts his own, but I am very sensitive +other digestive issues) 1. Cross contamination is always a possibility so be aware, be prepared & be safe. 2. Gov't regs regarding gluten-free claims are not great. Plus they deal in Parts Per Million (ppm) so as long as it is below the threshold, it can claim gluten-free. Your allergy & my sensitivity will be triggered at different levels, so we may react to to something that is less than 0.001ppm & is labeled as gluten-free. 3. Some cooking/processing procedures can destroy the offending allergen  (this case, gluten). I got this from 2 sources. One when I was trying to learn about gluten-free alcohol products. The other from a friend whose daughter is severely allergic to peanuts, coconut & a few other items. She spoke to the Allergist about a food item her daughter was exposed to but did not react as expected (thankfully!). After looking into it, the doctor explained that even though the allergen is listed, it may not have been the part of the food that she is allergic to (I know I am explaining this poorly, sorry) &/or the processing of the ingredient can alter it on a molecular level so as to not cause a reaction. Apparently the opposite is true: processing changes can cause us to react to things we otherwise wouldn't. 4. I don't find McD's to be greasy (you should see how I cook!). But it is so full of chemicals it's no wonder humans don't process it well. 5. COOK :-D   Certainly, I am not an expert & I know I probably didn't interpret everything correctly. So, if you have more info to help correct my "take-aways", it would be welcomed. Thank you!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    cookbookaddict1