6 replies to this topic

#1 JennyC

JennyC

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:41 PM

I called Ghirardelli today because I have read a couple of different places that they now produce a crispy milk chocolate bar (with barley :( ) on the same lines as their bar chocolates. I'm sad to say that it is true. All of their bar chocolate can possibly get cross contaminated. <_< They do clean the lines between batches and they throw away the first two batches after each switch. This seems like a really good manufacturing policy, but it's still disappointing that the chocolate is no longer made on gluten free lines. Their cocoa powders and chocolate chips are still made on dedicated lines.

I'm thinking about switching my bar chocolate to callebaut. It's way better chocolate, and it's actually about the same price as Girardelli. Does anyone have any experience with this chocolate? I am about to buy 3 pounds of it for truffles! :P
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 wschmucks

wschmucks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:09 AM

Hi!
I was just wondering the same thing. There is a wonderful post from Sees candy-- who have basically said that almost all of their chocolate is gluten free, with the exception of specialty holiday candy (that may have extra decorative ingredients that may include gluten)....So i am taking this to mean that the majority of their regularly stocked items are gluten-free. Also, there is a thread up from 2007 that has out dated info stating the Ghirardelli is gluten-free...dont be fooled! Make sure to check out the dates on posts.

Godiva, Ghirardelli, Rocky Moutain Chocolate Factory are out-- they arent safe, Hersey's is very unreliablel. Nestle is good about giving customers information I would run a search on them. But if youre looking for truffles I would go with Sees for sure! (yum, now i want some!). Here is the post:

http://www.celiac.co...showtopic=53444

Happy Holidays!
Diagnosed Celiac Oct' 08 (blood test and biopsy)
Starting SDC Feb'09

Just trying to figure it out with a smile :-)

#3 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:49 AM

Thanks, but I need to buy three pounds of chocolate. I'm making truffles as gifts. I buy See's chocolate candies, but I've never thought of them for chocolate for baking. :rolleyes:
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#4 alishell

alishell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:03 PM

Hey, if you goto the Ghirardelli site they list the possible sources of cross contamination. I usually eat the squares and they appear to be ok ;)

The following Ghirardelli® items contain soy. These items are manufactured on the same equipment that also makes products containing peanuts, tree nuts and milk:
•Dark Broken Chocolate
•Semi Sweet Baking Bar
•60% Cacao Bittersweet Baking Bar
•70% Cacao Extra Bittersweet Baking Bar
•100% Cacao Unsweetened Baking Bar
•Dark Chocolate with White Mint Filling SQUARES™ Chocolate
•Dark Chocolate with White Mint Filling Bar
•Dark Chocolate with White Mint Filling Squares on the Go
•Dark Chocolate with Raspberry Filling SQUARES™ Chocolate
•Dark Chocolate with Raspberry Filling Bar
•60% Cacao Dark Chocolate SQUARES™ Chocolate
•60% Cacao Dark Chocolate Bar
•60% Cacao Dark Squares on the Go
•72% Cacao Dark Chocolate Singles
•Intense Dark™ Espresso Escape™ Bar
•Intense Dark™ Mint Bliss™ Bar
•Intense Dark™ Evening Dream™ 60% Cacao Bar
•Intense Dark™ 72% Cacao Twilight Delight™ Bar
•Intense Dark™ 86% Cacao Midnight Reverie™ Bar
The following Ghirardelli® items contain soy. These items are manufactured on the same equipment that also makes products containing milk and are made in a facility that uses peanuts and tree nuts:
•Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip
•Barista Dark Chocolate Chip
•60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chip
•Queen Wafer
•Liquor Wafer
The following Ghirardelli® item contains soy. This item is manufactured on the same equipment that also makes products containing milk and are made in a facility that uses tree nuts and eggs:
•"Black Label" Chocolate Sauce
The following Ghirardelli® items contain soy. These items are made in a facility that uses peanuts, tree nuts and milk:
•Double Chocolate Hot Cocoa
•Mocha Chocolate Hot Cocoa
•Hazelnut Chocolate Hot Cocoa
•Sweet Ground Chocolate and Cocoa
The following Ghirardelli® items contain milk. These items are manufactured on the same equipment that also makes products containing soy and are made in a facility that uses tree nuts and eggs:
•Creamy Caramel Sauce
•Classic White Sauce
The following Ghirardelli® items contain milk and soy. These items are manufactured on the same equipment that also makes products containing peanuts and tree nuts:
•White Chocolate Baking Bar
•White Broken Chocolate
•Milk Chocolate Baking Bar
•Milk Broken Chocolate
•Milk Chocolate with Caramel Filling SQUARES™ Chocolate
•Milk Chocolate with Caramel Filling Bar
•Milk Chocolate with Caramel Filling Squares on the Go
•60% Cacao Dark Chocolate with Caramel Filling SQUARES™ Chocolate
•60% Cacao Dark Chocolate with Caramel Filling Bar
•60% Cacao Dark Chocolate with Caramel Filling Squares on the Go
•Milk Chocolate SQUARES™ Chocolate
•Milk Chocolate Bar
•Peppermint Bark SQUARES™ Chocolate
•Peppermint Bark Bar
•60% Cacao Peppermint Bark SQUARES™ Chocolate
•Egg Nog SQUARES™ Chocolate
•Sublime White Vanilla Dream™ Chocolate
•Intense Dark™ Citrus Sunset™ Bar
The following Ghirardelli® item contains milk and soy. This item is manufactured on the same equipment that also makes products containing peanuts and tree nuts and is made in a facility that uses wheat:
•Classic White Chip
The following Ghirardelli® items contain milk and soy. These items are made in a facility that uses peanuts and tree nuts:
•Milk Chocolate Chip
•Milk Chocolate Wafer
The following Ghirardelli® items contain milk and soy. These items are made in a facility that uses peanuts:
•White Chocolate Flavor Candy Making and Dipping Bar
•Dark Chocolate Candy Making and Dipping Bar
The following Ghirardelli® items contain tree nuts, milk and soy. These items are manufactured on the same equipment that also makes products containing peanuts:
•Cinnamon Spiced Almond SQUARES™ Chocolate
•Intense Dark™ Toffee Interlude™ Bar
The following Ghirardelli® item is manufactured on the same equipment that also makes products containing soy and milk and is made in a facility that uses tree nuts and eggs:
•Sweet Ground Chocolate & Cocoa Sauce
The following Ghirardelli® item is manufactured on the same equipment that also makes products containing soy and is made in a facility that uses peanuts, tree nuts and milk:
•Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
Items in our company-owned chocolate shops may contain trace amounts of peanuts, tree nuts, and milk

#5 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:48 AM

I called Ghirardelli today because I have read a couple of different places that they now produce a crispy milk chocolate bar (with barley :( ) on the same lines as their bar chocolates. I'm sad to say that it is true. All of their bar chocolate can possibly get cross contaminated. <_< They do clean the lines between batches and they throw away the first two batches after each switch. This seems like a really good manufacturing policy, but it's still disappointing that the chocolate is no longer made on gluten free lines. Their cocoa powders and chocolate chips are still made on dedicated lines.

I'm thinking about switching my bar chocolate to callebaut. It's way better chocolate, and it's actually about the same price as Girardelli. Does anyone have any experience with this chocolate? I am about to buy 3 pounds of it for truffles! :P

I stick to Dagoba and Endangered species for chocolate bars, and Enjoy Life for chocolate chips. Enjoy Life chips have amazing flavor. They also make a shell quite nicely, when covering something like strawberries or pretzels.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#6 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

Hi!
I was just wondering the same thing. There is a wonderful post from Sees candy-- who have basically said that almost all of their chocolate is gluten free, with the exception of specialty holiday candy (that may have extra decorative ingredients that may include gluten)....So i am taking this to mean that the majority of their regularly stocked items are gluten-free. Also, there is a thread up from 2007 that has out dated info stating the Ghirardelli is gluten-free...dont be fooled! Make sure to check out the dates on posts.

Godiva, Ghirardelli, Rocky Moutain Chocolate Factory are out-- they arent safe, Hersey's is very unreliablel. Nestle is good about giving customers information I would run a search on them. But if youre looking for truffles I would go with Sees for sure! (yum, now i want some!). Here is the post:

http://www.celiac.co...showtopic=53444

Happy Holidays!

I would dispute your statement that Ghirardelli and Rocky Mountain chocolates are not safe. I am about as sensitive a Celiac as they come and I eat Ghirardelli chocolates every single day. They have excellent manufacturing practices for a non-gluten-free facility.
I just had my repeat blood work done and in no way am I ingesting any gluten.....my numbers were very, very low. Ditto for Rocky Mountain chocolates although you have to be careful because they aren't all gluten-free.

I think people make too big of a deal about this. If you have done your homework in checking out facilities and their practices, do not become asymptomatic after ingesting their products and use your repeat blood work as a measurement tool (if you can), I don't know what else you can do to prove a product safe!

#7 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

I eat Ghirardelli chocolate squares everyday with no issues. The only product I see on their list that is made in the same facility as wheat products is Classic White Chip. All other products should be safe, as they are not in contact with machinery/equipment that shares wheat products.

Remember, the original thread here is a couple years old.
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: