4 replies to this topic

#1 YankeeDB

YankeeDB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 09:35 AM

This topic terrifies me. My mother spent her last years suffering from rheumatoid arthritis and peripheral neuropathy (and bowel problems and dementia) and I strongly suspect she was an undiagnosed celiac. She was unable to walk the last five or so years of her life.

In the last few years as my fatigue has gotten worse and worse, I've developed painful feet that I'm afraid may be the beginnings of neuropathy.

An internet search uncovered many links that suggest an association between a certain type of neuropathy (a type that is hard to diagnosis by conventional means, reminiscent of my mother's situation) and celiac disease.

Is anyone here being treated for neuropathy? Has a gluten-free diet helped you with symptoms of the type I've described?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lily

Lily

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 03:02 AM

HI Yankee,

I've had problems with my feet and hands (and now my shoulders) for about 15 years. Since being completely gluten free I am feeling much better.

Good luck,

Lily

#3 judy04

judy04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 09:33 PM

Hi Yankee,

I also have had burning, tingling, and some numbness on the bottom
of my feet which is slowly going away after going gluten-free.
Every time I come to this board I find some one who has the
same prolems that I have, never thought these can all come from gluten...
judy

gluten-free since 11/03, neg biopsy, IGA elevated

#4 Naradowski

Naradowski

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:51 PM

Hi I was diagnosed with perepheral neuropathy in 1998 and was diagnosed with celiac's just one year ago. I have burning tingling and numbness from my toes to my knees on both legs-----my fingers have been ok so far. Since I have been on the gluten-free diet I have not had any relief from the neuropathy. I am hoping that with time I will. Everyone is different---good luck to you. Judy Naradowski

#5 txceliacmom

txceliacmom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 06:45 AM

I know a 13 year old undiagnosed celiac disease that had neuropathy so bad they had to pull her out of school. It was so painful she couldn't even lay a sheet on her legs. The dr. kept say it was stress/in her head. They tested her a second time for celiac disease, came back positive and she went gluten-free. Her neuropathy improved within weeks of going on a gluten-free diet.

Hope the diet will soon help you too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: