3 replies to this topic

#1 TiffersAnn

TiffersAnn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:33 AM

My husband and I are moving to South Korea for a year to teach english. I've been doing some research and it is very discouraging. Most everything I find is made of soy sauce, bean paste... and even most of their rice noodles contain wheat.

Anyone have any advice... suggestions?
Tiffany
Gluten-free since Oct '05
Livin', Lovin' and cookin' up a storm...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 missy'smom

missy'smom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:47 AM

I hope you have a great year. I taught English in Japan for a year and it was one of the best things I've ever done. My advice would be to get in touch with some missions organizations and ask about resources. Often they have connections to supply their missionaries with things from home. In Japan, there is the Foreign Buyers Club and many missionaries, other expats living there as well as maybe military buy and ship together-that's how I got a turkey for Thanksgiving. The missions in Korea may be aware of and use resources like that. FBC in Japan even offers gluten-free items that we are familiar with. Learn to make some simple Korean dishes using their fresh ingredients. I wasn't gluten-free at the time but learned how to make a hotpot with water and a piece of kelp for the broth and added fish and regional veg. and side of rice for a simple meal. I also enjoyed seasonal fresh fruits and veg. and simply prepared meats. I brought along the JoY of Cooking cookbook that has instructions for making many simple dishes with fresh ingredients and often made simple soups, baked apples and such.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#3 TiffersAnn

TiffersAnn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:25 PM

Thank you, I hadn't even thought about missions or anything like that. Thank goodness I enjoy cooking. :P
Tiffany
Gluten-free since Oct '05
Livin', Lovin' and cookin' up a storm...

#4 duckface2

duckface2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:49 PM

Hi Tiffers,
Hope you had a great year in Korea! I'm just about to start my year there in a couple months and was wondering if you would have any advice for me. I'm a celiac too and am also dairy and egg intolerant and am concerned about what I'll be able to eat in Korea. I'll probably be in Daegu, Seoul or Busan. I wonder if you have any experiences eating in these cities. If there are any brands or stores I can look out for I would be so greatful!
Really anything you could tell me would be hugely appreciated!

Thank you so much,
Caro!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: