Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

celiac disease Against Nuts And Vitamin D ?

7 posts in this topic

:( Can someone explain how nuts amd vitamin D deficiency tend to occur in people with Celiac Disease? I don't really know why,but I had a problem first with peanuts ,then ALL nuts,now I can eat a few Cashews,Walnuts and Almonds again,but for a long time they all made me kinda sick.

:rolleyes: Personally I don't worry about trace amounts of wheat-I just don't knowingly eat big slabs of wheat.

;) Vitamin D also made me sick for about I year and I wouldn't take it. But lately I've felt the need for it again so I take a MultiVitamin with Minerals(centrum) and a 400 IU of vitamin D,because my bones feel kinda soft , like I'm made out of cartilage. So far I haven't felt sick from the Nuts or Vitamin D but ,berfore they made me ill and I haven't had any for a year !

Ads by Google:

Nuts are VERY high in fat and Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin. Active Celiac can hinder the absorption of fats and certain vitamins. It could have easily made you feel sick to eat them. You know if you do have true Celiac, not worrying about little bits of gluten/wheat here and there could really be harming you.

I agree with Shay that fat absorption could be an issue but another problem with nuts is that they often carry molds - especially shelled ones and peanuts can be the worst offenders.

If Candida is an issue for you then you would likely get a reaction to the nuts. By far the majority with Celiac/Gluten Intolerance seem to have issues with Candida and other rogue bacteria due to gut dysbiosis.

Many things can put the flora out of balance but one of the most common culprits seems to be antibiotics which destroy the good guys along with the bad - the good bacteria is there to protect the gut from pathogens and support the immune system - without them we are open to infestation from anything.

It may have been something with the vitamin D you were taking that was the problem. Many of the proprietary brands contain other substances, any one of which could have been problematic - they might have even contained gluten in some obscure form. Have you tried getting your vitamin D through cod liver oil to see if it makes any difference?

So many with gluten intolerance are also intolerant of other foods. Quite a few of us have been following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), which is a healing diet, and have been getting good results. Because it removes the foods that feed the rogue bacteria, yeasts and/or parasites and concentrates on the replenishment of the good flora and the consumption of good wholesome foods that help the healing process, it helps the gut, and the body, to heal properly.

Many gluten-free foods are typically high in the types of carbs that can actually keep the damage going - not necessarily the villi that can be seen through biopsy but deep down in the gut wall where leaky gut may be allowing molecules through into the bloodstream that shouldn't be there, triggering all sorts of reactions anywhere in the body.

There is an SCD thread in the 'Other Food Intolerances' section if you are interested.

Since I've been gluten free (almost 3 years), roasted nuts now make me sick... I don't understand it, because this never happened before.

I just cannot eat roasted nuts... I can eat peanut butter, no problem. I can eat all the nuts I want straight from the shell or fresh-shelled nuts in a big bag meant for recipes, baking, etc. But one handful of any roasted nuts or peanuts and I'm sick for a while.

Weird. I don't understand it.

Roasted nuts are "rancid". The oils in nuts go "rancid" very quickly even without heat. But roasting accelerates that process. Now that you dont have gluten mucking up your system, your body lets you know that they are toxic.

Nuts are VERY high in fat and Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin. Active Celiac can hinder the absorption of fats and certain vitamins. It could have easily made you feel sick to eat them. You know if you do have true Celiac, not worrying about little bits of gluten/wheat here and there could really be harming you.

Thanks ShayFL, for the greasy nut info. I'm not an idiot,and I know nuts are oily,but after I came down with this celiac disease around the age of 28 every thing changed ;suddenly I couldn't eat nuts,or squash, yams, or soy. I even had a few months when I couldn't drink milk,but it went away after two bottles of Lactaid ,and now I drink milk often. I figured it might be nut protein,since many people seemingly suddenly couldn't eat peanuts and tree nuts. If I ever become wealthy I'll try and figure out why I can't eat something-nothing is better than proof.I'd get one of those food tests where they test for up to 500 kinds of foods that most people and some Celiacs have a reaction to.

Even regular rice makes me kinda sick too-I just don't don't eat it all the time. I'm mainly meat and vegetables.

(Also nuts are like a side accessory-I never ate tons of them just a few occassionally.)

This condition certainly makes you special. You can't have it and do what everybody else does or wants .You have to do what you need, when you need to, and it helps to be financially and physically independent-no slave here. I feel like an exotic bird from a far-away place that has special dietary needs-or else it'll die. Only a very kind and wealthy person would care for a pet like this.

Or maybe everyone just has to be tolerant and yield to some of the Celiacs' needs.

OH,BY THE WAY .HOW IS IT THAT THE FAT IN MEAT AND EGGS DOES NOT SICKEN ME ? MAYBE ANIMAL FAT IS A DIFFERENT KIND OF FAT FROM THE KIND IN NUTS OR VEGETABLE FATS. I'M GOOD WITH SOYBEAN OIL TOO,ALTHOUGH FOR A WHILE IT MADE ME SICK,THEN I SWITCHED TO CANOLA OIL ,NOW THAT MAKES ME SICK AND I'M BACK ON SOYBEAN OIL.