This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Exposure From Other People In Your Life.....

Ellenor Whitty

Ellenor Whitty Newbie

(This is a re-post from a reply I made to someone in another part of this forum.....)

GREETINGS, FELLOW CELIACS:

WOW, I wish I was dating a Celiac llike me (or married to one)! This kind of situation would make life SO MUCH EASIER for Girls Like Me, rather than beng with some slob who drinks BEER or SCOTCH every day! (Been There, Done That.)

I now point-blank tell guys that if they want to date me, kiss me, and/or get all silly & romantic with me physically, then they CANNOT drink beer or grain-based alcohol when we are together. I am DEAD SERIOUS about this, too!

They can drink all of the wine, tequila and potato-based vodka they want (like the fabulous "CHOPIN" vodka, which is both potato-based AND organic), but nothing else, otherwise they will make me have a gluten reaction.

I simply will not make out with or have sex with a man that will cause me to have a gluten reaction, due to what HE consumes and retains in his body.....

I am totally allergic to men that drink beer, scotch, and any other grain-based alcohol (adult beverages). Celiac girls (like me) ESPECIALLY cannot even tolerate exposure to the saliva and the semen from guys like this either, which I will explain more about after you continue reading this......

No kidding, I finally discovered this after YEARS of trying to figure out WHY I STILL had DH all over my face and these outrageous rashes all over my body while dating/being with macho beer & scotch drinkers.

My discovery happened because my (former) live-in/out boyfriend of 10 years was drinking beer and/or scotch daily.

Here's how it works for me..... this may not be the same for everyone, but still, I would like you to consider this as a possibility for you if you have celiac problems and date a man or woman who drinks beer and grain alcohol beverages on a regular basis.....

If I make out with a guy, or get all physically silly & romantic with a man who has been drinking beer or grain-based booze, I will later on (usually within 24-72 hours later) break out in a weird splotchy rash on my arms, legs and torso, AND get all kinds of quasi-DH eruptions all over my face. The more continuous exposure I had with guys like this made my celiac problems worse.

Believe me, it took me YEARS to finally figure this situation out. I know of no official medical or scientific studies to back up my claims, but listen to me anyway.....

I am a seriously CAREFUL celiac, and do not make mistakes when it comes to any exposure to gluten that I would be personally responsible for.

Still, I kept having gluten skin problems for many years while I was dating this fellow who drank beer/scotch daily.....

It just NEVER occurred to me that being with someone- as in romantically- who indulges in gluten products will also cause ME to have a "reaction." But this happened to me!

Without going into personal details that would make you blush, I will now state that..... I "know a girl" who is also a Celiac, and "she" gets a "problem" whenever she makes out with a guy that drinks beer or grain-based alcohol. Her system will go totally haywire whenever she is exposed to the saliva or semen of any man that drinks beer and/or grain alcohol. "This girl" will experience next-day PIV (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease), along with horrible cystitis, if she has sexual relations with a man who drinks beer/grain alcohol liquids.

OK, this is just me confessing here, but all of you other girls & guys out there...... consider this as a possibility if you do not feel well, and your partner is guzzling beer or grain alcohol.

I would NOT waste my time writing this message to the general public unless I was mega-serious in sharing this information with Celiacs Like Us.

The prevention of gluten exposure is a pain in the @ss to regulate, and I want to help ease the pain we all suffer by asking you to consider that those around you may be a possible gluten exposure factor in your life..... especially when you make out with them, or have sex with them.

CONCLUSION: you may be doing the Right Thing, but is your spouse/significant other also doing the same?

LAY DOWN THE LAW and tell your partner to be considerate of you!

So far, I have met only ONE man who has agreed to my "No Gluten" dating & dietary laws, and he is a precious, adorable nerdy IT guy who also believes in organic foods. I am lucky, I guess. He acts like he is GOMEZ ADDAMS and/or PEPE LE PEW when he is with me, so I have no reason to complain, I suppose..... at least he is sincere.

And..... he does not make me break out with DH or a weird rash! (Oh la la!)

Ruth Ellenor Whitty

Houston, TEXAS

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sbj Rookie

Nominated for Post of the Year (comedy)

Archived