6 replies to this topic

#1 clnewberry1

clnewberry1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:07 PM

I need to gain some weight - currently 87 pounds 5 foot 2 inches.

I need some high calorie foods besides avacados that I can eat that will help me gain some of the weight back.

Any suggestions? Everything I find on the net is dairy, whole grain crackers or bread.

Anything would be helpful.

Crystal

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:32 PM

Ice cream! :P

Also, coconuts (the oil is good for cooking, the milk is good in smoothies, Thai food, etc...), seeds, nuts, and nut butters. 1 cup of almonds has over 500 calories. These foods are not only high in calories, but good for you too... lots of trace minerals and antioxidants.
Gluten free 08/08
Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn
Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks
HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)
Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)
Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

#3 MELINE

MELINE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:23 PM

almond butter. It saved me. It gave me some heathy pounds + tastes good. But if you want yeast free nut butter, don't eat peanut butter cause it promotes yeast.
Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:56 PM

peanut/almond butter on gluten free bread (lots of nut butter!)
avocado mixed with a can of tuna served on a corn tortilla (or eaten with chips)
coconut milk based ice cream
coconut milk based curries
flax crackers
gluten free granola (like the one from trader joes)
hot cereal with chopped nuts and flax meal
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 Piccolo

Piccolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:30 AM

I agree with every one else. I'm like you I need to gain weight. I am down to about 70 pounds at 4'11". I eat a different nut butter on my toast every morning. Macadamia nut is my favorite. One can also get Brazil nut, Hazel Nut, Pecan, Walnut butter.

I just recently made up a trail mix. It has dried pineapple, cherries, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, apricots, and apples. I can tell the difference after only a few days. Dried fruit also packs the calories. I like them because they are sweet. :D

Good luck
Susan
Dairy/Cesain free Oct. 2005
Gluten free June 2006

#6 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 05:48 AM

I need to gain some weight - currently 87 pounds 5 foot 2 inches.

I need some high calorie foods besides avacados that I can eat that will help me gain some of the weight back.

Any suggestions? Everything I find on the net is dairy, whole grain crackers or bread.

Anything would be helpful.

Crystal

Eggs!!! Scrambled, over easy, omelets, whatever, I ate eggs every single day when I was trying to gain weight. I discovered that scrambled eggs with salsa and diced avocado is one of the yummiest foods ever.

Also, sweet potatos. They're very filling and so easy to bake. I like to eat them with chicken dinners because chicken doesn't fill me up very well, but sweet potatos do. And sweet potatos are good because once they're baked they don't need butter.

I'll try and think of some other stuff!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#7 gabby

gabby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:29 PM

I'm recommending homemade everything in my list below because I love to cook and make everything like this...but if you can find any of this ready made, go for it! When I call something 'safe' I mean gluten free. (like 'safe' mayo, etc)

-Homemade french fries (keep them in the fridge for snacks)
-homemade potato chips
-homemade popcorn fried in olive oil (not microwave stuff, but kind you make in a pot), then drizzled GENEROUSLY with olive oil, salted and a pinch of paprika and/or oregano. Eat it hot...it is great. Or let it cool, and keep in ziploc bags for constant snacking
-fresh avocado mashed up with olive oil and salt and finely chopped onions
-any kind of risotto (made with good chicken broth, chunks of chicken)
-homemade meatloaf (use ground buckwheat instead of breadcrumbs) with scalloped potatoes (thinly sliced potatoes baked with olive oil, a bit of broth, sliced onions)
-homemade egg salad
-cooked roast beef whizzed up in a blender with mayo/olive oil and salt. Really tasty.
-bananas!
-homemade apple or pear sauce (just peel, cut them up, add a bit of water and yes, a bit of olive oil, and slowly stir over low heat until mushy. add cinnamon, and enjoy)
-homemade polenta, refrigerated and sliced into pieces for quick snacks (1 part course corn meal added to 2 parts boiling water, pinch of salt, turn down heat to very low and stir for 45 minutes until thick and coats back of spoon. Then put in a dish, put in fridge and next morning, slice up and enjoy)
-bake potato, then slice open and put in a big dollop of avocado mashed with olive oil and salt and onion, crumble with safe bacon pieces.
-homemade squash/veggie soup: cut any kind of squash into pieces, chop a few carrots into big pieces, cut 2 onions in half, 2 leeks washed and chopped, 2 tomatoes: salt to your liking, add a couple coves garlic if you like. put all into a casserole dish, drizzle with olive oil, cover with lid or foil, bake at 400F for 30 minutes or until carrots are soft (firm, not mushy). Take out veggies when done, put in a big pot on stove, add enough water or safe chicken broth to cover the veggies. Boil for 2 minutes. Then use a hand blender to blend it all up. Season to taste. eat with roasted sunflower seeds and a drizzle of olive oil. Yummy. Also great cold (really)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'll add more if I think of anything...
Enjoy!

P.S. if this all looks overwhelming...try the popcorn first. It is fantastic! If you don't like oregano, just do salt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: