Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

High Calories Snack Suggestions

7 posts in this topic

I need to gain some weight - currently 87 pounds 5 foot 2 inches.

I need some high calorie foods besides avacados that I can eat that will help me gain some of the weight back.

Any suggestions? Everything I find on the net is dairy, whole grain crackers or bread.

Anything would be helpful.

Crystal

Ads by Google:

Ice cream! :P

Also, coconuts (the oil is good for cooking, the milk is good in smoothies, Thai food, etc...), seeds, nuts, and nut butters. 1 cup of almonds has over 500 calories. These foods are not only high in calories, but good for you too... lots of trace minerals and antioxidants.

almond butter. It saved me. It gave me some heathy pounds + tastes good. But if you want yeast free nut butter, don't eat peanut butter cause it promotes yeast.

peanut/almond butter on gluten free bread (lots of nut butter!)

avocado mixed with a can of tuna served on a corn tortilla (or eaten with chips)

coconut milk based ice cream

coconut milk based curries

flax crackers

gluten free granola (like the one from trader joes)

hot cereal with chopped nuts and flax meal

I agree with every one else. I'm like you I need to gain weight. I am down to about 70 pounds at 4'11". I eat a different nut butter on my toast every morning. Macadamia nut is my favorite. One can also get Brazil nut, Hazel Nut, Pecan, Walnut butter.

I just recently made up a trail mix. It has dried pineapple, cherries, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, apricots, and apples. I can tell the difference after only a few days. Dried fruit also packs the calories. I like them because they are sweet. :D

Good luck

Susan

I need to gain some weight - currently 87 pounds 5 foot 2 inches.

I need some high calorie foods besides avacados that I can eat that will help me gain some of the weight back.

Any suggestions? Everything I find on the net is dairy, whole grain crackers or bread.

Anything would be helpful.

Crystal

Eggs!!! Scrambled, over easy, omelets, whatever, I ate eggs every single day when I was trying to gain weight. I discovered that scrambled eggs with salsa and diced avocado is one of the yummiest foods ever.

Also, sweet potatos. They're very filling and so easy to bake. I like to eat them with chicken dinners because chicken doesn't fill me up very well, but sweet potatos do. And sweet potatos are good because once they're baked they don't need butter.

I'll try and think of some other stuff!

I'm recommending homemade everything in my list below because I love to cook and make everything like this...but if you can find any of this ready made, go for it! When I call something 'safe' I mean gluten free. (like 'safe' mayo, etc)

-Homemade french fries (keep them in the fridge for snacks)

-homemade potato chips

-homemade popcorn fried in olive oil (not microwave stuff, but kind you make in a pot), then drizzled GENEROUSLY with olive oil, salted and a pinch of paprika and/or oregano. Eat it hot...it is great. Or let it cool, and keep in ziploc bags for constant snacking

-fresh avocado mashed up with olive oil and salt and finely chopped onions

-any kind of risotto (made with good chicken broth, chunks of chicken)

-homemade meatloaf (use ground buckwheat instead of breadcrumbs) with scalloped potatoes (thinly sliced potatoes baked with olive oil, a bit of broth, sliced onions)

-homemade egg salad

-cooked roast beef whizzed up in a blender with mayo/olive oil and salt. Really tasty.

-bananas!

-homemade apple or pear sauce (just peel, cut them up, add a bit of water and yes, a bit of olive oil, and slowly stir over low heat until mushy. add cinnamon, and enjoy)

-homemade polenta, refrigerated and sliced into pieces for quick snacks (1 part course corn meal added to 2 parts boiling water, pinch of salt, turn down heat to very low and stir for 45 minutes until thick and coats back of spoon. Then put in a dish, put in fridge and next morning, slice up and enjoy)

-bake potato, then slice open and put in a big dollop of avocado mashed with olive oil and salt and onion, crumble with safe bacon pieces.

-homemade squash/veggie soup: cut any kind of squash into pieces, chop a few carrots into big pieces, cut 2 onions in half, 2 leeks washed and chopped, 2 tomatoes: salt to your liking, add a couple coves garlic if you like. put all into a casserole dish, drizzle with olive oil, cover with lid or foil, bake at 400F for 30 minutes or until carrots are soft (firm, not mushy). Take out veggies when done, put in a big pot on stove, add enough water or safe chicken broth to cover the veggies. Boil for 2 minutes. Then use a hand blender to blend it all up. Season to taste. eat with roasted sunflower seeds and a drizzle of olive oil. Yummy. Also great cold (really)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'll add more if I think of anything...

Enjoy!

P.S. if this all looks overwhelming...try the popcorn first. It is fantastic! If you don't like oregano, just do salt.