This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question About Weight-watchers

Guest michneva

Guest michneva

Please help me

I desperately want to / need to lose weight!

I was on weight watchers just before going gluten-free about 2 yrs. ago and was losing gradually. I was still getting sick though. Since being gluten free I am having major weight issues!!!!!

I tried using someone elses point slide card and combining WW with gluten-free lifestyle and did well for two weeks then backslid and couldn't keep it together.

I would love some help with this if you have advice out there!

Can someone tell me what their experience with this is and what The Core is and FLex points...maybe even examples of what they ate etc....would you suggest joining and going to meetings and the whole deal??? Please help me out here!!!

thanks

-erica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest michneva

By the way I forgot to mention I have always struggled with my wieght.

I am 5'2 and was steadily size 11/12 throughout highschool.

Then size 14 in college and then and up till now at age 24 size 18/20 weighing 209 lbs.

I really want to do something like WW but could use advice and support with it being gluten-free please help me soon!!!!!

Guest barbara3675

Hello to you, Erica-----This is great....I tried to get this subject going a couple of weeks ago and it just didn't fly, hope it does this time. I am a WWatcher too. I think the Core plan was just made for us as it involves meat, veggies and fruit with SOME potatoes and rice---the way I see it, things we surely can have. I lost three pounds the first week on it, but then backslid big time after that. Do you think we could get something going regarding a buddy system of WWatcher friends that need to be gluten-free also? I also have to watch the dairy, can get away with some cheese and sour cream/highly processed dairy, but I use rice milk and soy ice cream. I come to this message board several times a day. I will watch for your answer. I have been a WWatcher for years, even got to goal once, but am so out of range now and want desparatly to get back to goal. I am going to be 60 very soon and know that it is in best interest of my health to get these unwanted pounds OFF. Barbara

plantime Contributor

So now we have three people on weight-watchers! Yay! I wouldn't mind a support thread on here. I have been doing flex, and not very well lately. The bean flours and flax are high-point foods, so I don't feel very full. I don't know what the core plan is, I ran out of money to pay for the plan right before it came out. WW is the only diet plan I could find that would let me avoid the foods I simply cannot have. I am on here at least once a day most days, so I will keep checking back on this thread. Btw, I am 40 years old, 5'1", and weigh 199.5 lbs.

lovegrov Collaborator

Don't forget exercise, even if it's just walking. Absolutely essential.

richard

tarnalberry Community Regular

I agree with richard - I'm 5'2", and was a 12/13/14 in college. Until senior year when I started exercising and reducing portion size (slowly!), and am now a 4ish. Exercise is a must! Try not to be hard on yourself when you do backslide a bit - it's going to happen every now and then. Just pick yourself up and start again.

Guest talsop

Hi WW buddies, I too was on WW. I started Jan. 04 and lost 59 lbs. ( I started at 264) Im 5'9 and right now I'm at 219. I gained some back after being diagnosed with CS and just gave up on WW. I was so used to eating cereal bars, sandwiches for breakfast and lunch that it all went to pot when I went gluten-free.

honestly I think WE could still lose weight on the points system. I know gluten-free is higher in points but there is alot of Free-bee points that we can use to fill ourselves up. I've been waiting for someone to bring this subject up. I would like to start our own WW forum. Maybe we could start weighing in on Wednesday at our homes then posting our loss/gain. And then discuss how we either lost it or gain it. have like our own WW meeting . :) Its only a suggestion if anyone is interested. I will get it started if anyone would like to jump in.

This might just be the kick in the hiny I need to get back on track.

Let me know what you all think. And thanks for bringing this up.

Terri

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest talsop

I forgot something, We could even post menu ideas and such . Just a thought

Guest michneva

WHOOOOA!

Hey sorry I have not checked in quite awhile...I thought that I had this set up to e-mail me when I got mail...but anyway I am glad I finally got a notice....

YES I am very interested in such a support system!

A co-worker actually said that she thought I would do great on WW today...doesn't have a clue in regards to the gluten-free thing but it was it was intresting to me...she is going to be bringing me info on THE CORE as well...she said that it is pretty simple.

Like I said I tried combining gluten-free with WW awhile ago and had trouble not only because of backsliding but also seeing as I struggled at times finding things gluten-free let alone within a pts range as well!

It is definitely a project...but I think it would be totally more helpful, encouraging, and do-able if we can chat about it and suggest stuff and such!

So let's talk about this!!

By the way I walked home from work today ....talk about excirsise ....talk about excirsise that hasn't happened for awhile! Well, it was about 2 miles I think and just near the end an aquaintence actually drove me the rest of the way...which was funny.

I was pleased with myself the first half of the walk and the second half the hills were getting to me and so was the messenger bag of work related stuff I had slung across me....needless to say I found God's intervention kind and humorous....

Anyway let me know what you think!!!!

I will check regularly now as well

Guest michneva

Oh and by the way someone mentioned having trouble with some dairy...I have to be careful with dairy as well. Like I can't go nutz...I don't ever drink straight regular milk anymore...I either drink vanilla soy or just recently saw on a maistream gluten-free list that Lactaid milk was on there so I have the 1% of that. Otherwise I just try to do things like yogurt/cheese/ or ice cream once a week ....like one of them once a week. I just recently started considering milk as in milk chocolate so added to my once in awhile list is something dark chocolate....the funny thing is as far as the milk goes...when I have had gluten I crave dairy stuff like crazy and on the other hand when I have a lot of dairy I feel stuff similar to having gluten ....so probably a real issue there so I am trying to be more careful as I said.....

Guest michneva

WOW

So I am really psyched now...can't wait for a response!

I was just talking to my husband about this the other day....

He is extremely loving and supportive and I have recently really been pushing the limit with acting embarrased and making comments about my wieght and such...

I am wondering how we would organize this...like just do our own gluten-free WW or like join seperately and just support eachother here and suggest things to eachother and share experiences????

Guest talsop

OK we could start of like this, Introduce yourself . My name is Terri and I need help losing weight since going gluten-free. I am 38 - 5'9 and weigh 219. I will start my weigh in on Wednesday March 23rd. with an actual weight. After that I will weigh in every wednesday and post the results in here. I can't afford WW right now so this will be my weekly meeting. I will discuss what went well & what went bad that week. And if I lost I will post my daily journey of what I ate.

The first weigh in if lets say you weigh 200lbs. your goal will be to lose 20lbs. that is 10% of your weigh. With a period of 10-12wks. Thats 2 lbs. a week which is a safe weight lost. We will only concentrate on that so we do not get over whelmed. After are goal has been met then we can set a new goal for ourself. My over all goal is to be at 160 by October for a cruise I am taking woo hoo.

Week #1 will begin on Wednesday March 23rd. I think I will start a new poll labeled WW buddies. Feel free to add any receipes to this. Keep a journal of what you eat and track those points. Drink at least 2 32oz. of water DAILY. PEE PEE PEE. OOPS sorry :o Over the weekend I will put together some low ponit food choices and post them. I am so excited to finally get back the feeling of wanting to lose and start caring again.

Terri

Guest talsop

I forgot the most important of all. EXCERISE. I'm not a big fan of excerise but I do like to walk. When i was on WW I would walk just alittle everyday, maybe a mile and my weigh just feel off. I just wanted to post my results from my last experience with WW

WK 1 - weigh in at 264.4

wk2-loss6.6 -257.8

wk3-loss2.6 - 255.2

wk4-loss2.8 -252.4

wk5-loss3 -249.4

wk6-loss3-246.4

wk7-loss1.6-244.8

wk8-loss1.6-243.2

wk9-loss3-240.2

wk10-loss.4-239.8

wk11-loss2.4-237.4 met 10% goal of 26lbs.

wk12-loss4.2-233.2

wk13-loss.6-232.6

wk14-loss1.2-231.4

wk15-loss2.6 - 228.8

wk16-loss2 - 226.8

wk17-loss 2.6 - 224.2

wk18- loss.6 - 223.6

wk19 - loss 2.4 - 221.2

wk20-loss1.4 - 219.8

wk 21-loss1.4 -218.4

wk22-loss 1 - 217.4

wk23 -loss .8 - 216.6

wk 24-loss1.2 - 215.4

wk 25 - loss 1.6 - 213.8

wk 26 - loss.4 - 213.4 with total loss of 51 lbs.

that was just one book from ww so I no I can do it again with alittle encouragement.

Guest talsop
OK we could start of like this, Introduce yourself . My name is Terri and I need help losing weight since going gluten-free. I am 38 - 5'9 and weigh 219.

I forgot to tell you I am married 16yrs to a wonderful supporting husband. I am from Indiana.

plantime Contributor

My name is Dessa, I am 40. Happily married for 18 years, with three kids. I live in southeast Kansas. WI on Wednesdays is good for me! I will start keeping track of what I eat and how much I exercise each day. I won't post it, it will drag down the thread, but I will post recipes and encouragement for everyone!

Guest michneva

Hi

Okay, I am sort of confused...I do not really have the funds to put out for joining WW either, but I do not have any tools then either...so I do not understand how I would or why I would record anything or what to measure my eating with or by....

I appreciate the responses ...just a little lost...sorry I am a litteral ...step by step kind of person...

Guest talsop

Points Target

Less than 150 lbs 20 points

150-174 lbs 22 points

175-199 lbs 24 points

200-224 lbs 26 points

225-249 lbs 28 points

250-274 lbs 30 points

275-299 lbs 31 points

300-324 lbs 32 points

325-349 lbs 33 points

350 lbs or more 34 points

i will post a site where you can download a point slider. I just have to find it. Check back later

Guest michneva

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK you!!!!!!!!!!!!1

You are awesome...okay ...now I feel like I can do this too...thank you so much, I look foward to having that point finder......

I have to do grocery shopping for my husband and I very soon....for next two weeks so I am anxious to get the point slider and slightly overwhelmed about how to shop for this....do you guys have any suggestion about low point gluten-free stuff already????

Thank you so very much!!

-erica

Guest michneva

Oh and by the way I am fine with wednesday as well :-)

I would most likely do my weigh -in in the morning...LOL I was just thinking that we have an advantage to doing this at home and alone....weighing in naked LOL

So, should whoever gets there first start the thread?

Guest michneva

Found a couple of the tools my grandma had sent me....I found the getting started book which displays the wieght chart mentioned above by talsop..........

And the point booster related to excirsise which I was never clear on how to use....but STILL NO POINT SLIDER :-(

NOR CAN I LOCATE THE SHOPPING GIUDE

-erica

Guest michneva

INTRODUCTION

My name is Erica

I am 24yrs. old, 5'2 and currently 209lbs. living in CT.

I have never been officially diagnosed for celiac disease but have a steep family med. history relating to common symptoms as well as personal symptoms relating and have been attempting to be gluten-free for two years now. I feel better on the diet and FUNCTION better on the gluten-free diet...that is good enough for my husband and I MOST of the time anyway...

I am coming up on my 25th birthday (May 12th) and 2 year wedding anniversery (May 17th)

My husband is incredibly encouraging and supportive.

Supposedly 139lbs. is the most I should weigh and still be in a range that is clear from health risk.

You mentioned 160lbs. If I hit that...welll, in comparrison to where I am at now I would feel on top of the world!!

:rolleyes:

Guest michneva

FOOD QUESTION

Fat Free Pringles

plantime Contributor

I think I am going to look more at portion control and exercise than points. When I tried the points method, I was too busy thinking about food, and was always hungry! My first goal will be to lose 10% of what I weigh on March 23, as that will be my official start date for this!

Guest michneva

OOPS MISTAKE SORRY LET ME TRY AGAIN...

FOOD QUESTION

Fat Free Pringles

heard they were gluten-free

Cool Whip

heard it was gluten-free BUT is the fat free one gluten-free?

Skinny Cow Fudge Bars

heard they were gluten-free...sort of tastes like a wendy's frosty on a stick...and it is big!

Jolly Time Healthy Pop

heard it was gluten-free

Jello snacks

heard it was gluten-free BUT is the fat free kind gluten-free?

Guest talsop

Open Original Shared Link

heres where you can print and make your own point slider

I will find you a food guide and A dining out guide also. There are some great sites where you can sub. ingredients for gluten-free . take a look at amieesadventures.com and dotties weight lose. There are some good receipes that I believe are gluten-free. I am going to do alot of research of sub low cal food that can be gluten-free food for us. I am really serious about getting back on track.

Look back at the post later and I will have more

Terri

Archived