24 replies to this topic

#16 lizard00

lizard00

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:16 PM

Have you sought out the advice of either a naturopath or an osteopath? It's still the luck of the draw, but often these doctors opt for more drugless ways to treat, and are more open to different ideas than conventional doctors. It may not seem so far fetched that you have chemical sensitivities to an ND or OD. These doctors are more aimed at finding the source of the problem, not treating the symptoms.

Remember, dietiticans, conventional doctors and the like are taught in medical school to believe the FDA is right. So if it's approved to go in our food, it must be ok. They're taught to believe that FDA approved drugs are safe, and that drugs are usually that answer to ailments. You can find some conventional doctors that think outside the box, but not often.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:56 PM

I agree with the previous post with regards to finding a doctor who will be more open to what you're experiencing. Outside of conventional medicine there are many many doctors who understand reactions to chemicals. As previously mentioned they will help you get to root of your problems.

It is very frusterating to have doctors who do not believe you or who do not take you seriously.....in my case this worsened my condition by increasing stress levels and causing even greater depression (loss of hope). For the past 3 years I have only seen doctors who are out of the mainstream and I have been very happy with them.

Sulfites are preservatives that are in many types of processed foods (sometimes labeled and sometimes not).

Salicylates are a naturally occuring chemical found in fruits, vegetables, spices, herbs. Its a natural preservative and pesticide that protects the plant from disease. Some people have a sensitivity to this natural occuring chemical. There are also synthetic salicylates which are man-made chemicals put into foods, medications, toiletries, perfumes, etc.

You may or may not be sensitive to them but they are part of the failsafe diet. The only way to find out is to follow the diet. Some of the foods contain very high amounts of salicylates....whereas others contain much less.

Heres a site with good info. about salicylates
http://salicylatesen...vity.com/about/

For you I think it would be most important to avoid the synthetic chemicals in processed foods to see if there is any improvement.
Rachel

#18 mr. moore

mr. moore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:36 PM

thank you and im sorry for being a burden. im just trying my best to enjoy my vacation down south where its actually warm, and my mind is just floaty and i can hardly see sometimes.

#19 suzyks

suzyks

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:35 PM

I had blurred vision (like looking through a glass smeared with baby oil), moodiness, headaches, and odd humming noises all because of drinking Diet Coke. It was the Nutra Sweet. It can really cause people some problems.
Suzy

#20 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:17 PM

thank you and im sorry for being a burden. im just trying my best to enjoy my vacation down south where its actually warm, and my mind is just floaty and i can hardly see sometimes.

Never think you are a burden. As you ask questions and others answer, many people are learning by reading/researching. As topics pop up, we keep are eyes and ears open. We are all here to help one another. You may even become a doc someday ;)

My dd went to an osteopath for extreme PMS, she was diagnosed allergic to gluten. The very first thing he did was ask if she had any fillings and he looked into her mouth.
My mom at 70ish went to the same doc 2 yrs ago. He got her off high blood pressure pills, healed her pneumonia and fixed whatever was wrong with her liver. She has been fine since.
I think many of our problems start with mercury and other synthetic garbage we put into our bodies. Then problems arise. Its like putting dirt inside the engine of your car. Sooner or later it will start to fall apart.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#21 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:27 PM

Not a burden at all. We're all here to learn....ask as many questions as you'd like.
Rachel

#22 DreamWalker

DreamWalker

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:49 AM

Were you diagnosed with Celiacs Disease? I'm asking because you said you tried the gluten-free diet for one and a half weeks. . . . .
Confusion & vision issues are the first to hit me if I accidentally eat gluten. It's like you have half the picture or your surroundings are fragments and it's difficult to connect the dots and obtain a decent understanding of what's going on around you. At my worst, I cannot follow conversations. It's as though peoples voices permeate my conscious then slip away into oblivion. I've learned to catch cues and respond somewhat appropriately but eventually people realize something is wrong and if I don't know them well I fear they think I'm on drugs. As for the vision, it's frightening to drive at night because all the lights blur together and I can't discern between the stoplights & taillights/brake lights.
Even the slightest contamination results in a return of these issues. Initially, when I first began the gluten-free diet it took over a month for me to notice the mental side-effects diminishing. Also, I did not eat anything I was unsure of. (IE no supposedly gluten free foods like those quick microwaveable dinners.)
The confusion is something to really watch out for when going gluten free. My main issue is that with the slightest contamination, I wind up being encased with a brain fog that leads to me being less careful about cross contamination throughout the day. Eventually, I'm reeling in pain and running to the bathroom and rarely to I remember the original culprit. It helps to keep your home completely gluten free (but I know that's not always possible.)
Once the confusion clears and you can properly interpret your world the gluten free diet won't be nearly as difficult to follow. Basically, I eliminated everything that could be causing celiac flare ups and was shocked to find my mental problems ebbing away. I never thought gluten could cause such issues until they began evaporating. Also, watch out for products you wouldn't normally suspect like make up, shampoo, lotion, tooth paste, vitamins, etc.
I hope you find an answer soon. Living in hell and barely scraping by (especially when you're young) is not something anyone should have to bear.
A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving.
- Albert Einstein

#23 spanish-road

spanish-road

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:48 PM

You cannot focus too! Holy poop i got the same thing i go around life in a haze and i used to be able to sit and focus on something for hours and figure it out, not i just space out after 10 minutes or less. I think that the gluten messes with my mind since my body is going into a craze.

I avoid gluten like a fire and when i do get a little back to massive haze for a month. As an example last summer i was working out of town and living out of dinners, i was gone off in my world the whole time 4 months of a haze not knowing what the heck is going on.

#24 Anna and Marie

Anna and Marie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:55 PM

You cannot focus too! Holy poop i got the same thing i go around life in a haze and i used to be able to sit and focus on something for hours and figure it out, not i just space out after 10 minutes or less. I think that the gluten messes with my mind since my body is going into a craze.

I avoid gluten like a fire and when i do get a little back to massive haze for a month. As an example last summer i was working out of town and living out of dinners, i was gone off in my world the whole time 4 months of a haze not knowing what the heck is going on.

wow, i can't believe other people have this! my twin and I get the brain fog and the memory loss...so we didn't realize our diets were not totally gluten free and the past 3 1/2 years is like a big gray area. a few things, like faces we remember but conversations...please. We feel bad in that our closest friends thought we were space cadets and they repeated things over and over but we just couldn't process things or remember them. somehow we managed to get through school... we sat in the front of the rooms but that only helped for five minute intervals..
the gluten free diets have helped so much, we also cut out soy and dairy and everything is getting better! good luck!
Have had Celiac knowingly since June 2005 and have since been adapting to a gluten, casein, soy, peanut, and egg free diet. fave quote: 'Experience, that most brutal of teachers but you learn my God, do you learn.' C.S. Lewis.
Life is pretty awesome! ;)

#25 hannahp57

hannahp57

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:38 PM

I had blurred vision (like looking through a glass smeared with baby oil), moodiness, headaches, and odd humming noises all because of drinking Diet Coke. It was the Nutra Sweet. It can really cause people some problems.
Suzy

i have had a reaction once to what i was pretty sure was a diet soda... coke or pepsi cant remember which...
but i drank maybe one can's worth.. and just a couple hours later i had such a headache, felt dizzy and could NOT focus or think straight. then a few hours later my stomach was torn up. it was like the glutened flu! some strange vicious combination of the two. i also react to MSG though i am not sure about other additives. i think that some of us just cannot handle these artificial ingredients.

Mr. Moore you should go back to that elimination of processd foods. take it one day at a time and dont give up after only a week. my most severe symptoms were in my digestive system and it took MONTHS for me to feel better. years to feel GOOD. but it is so worth it, please do not give up hope

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: