This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Head Lice!

dollamasgetceliac?

dollamasgetceliac? Explorer

Does anyone know of a Gluten free, non-toxic, remedy for Head lice.

they are everywhere... :o

help

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

home-based-mom Contributor
Does anyone know of a Gluten free, non-toxic, remedy for Head lice.

they are everywhere... :o

help

I have heard that a thick coating of mayonaise works on your hair. You wrap your head in plastic (to keep the mayo off of everything else) and leave it long enough to suffocate the lice. I think it might need to be left over night? A search engine probe should turn up answers.

However, unless you get them off of everything your head has come into direct or indirect contact with, they will keep coming back. My neighbor almost lost her sanity trying to get rid of the lice her granddaughter got. She washed (hot water and hot dryer) everything she could, and sprayed and re-sprayed everything such as furniture and carpeting that would not fit into the washer and dryer. But they kept coming back. And back. And back.

Months later, I asked her if she had SPRAYED THE CAR SEAT!

There were nits on the car seat that kept reinfecting her granddaughter's head! Once she sprayed the car seat and re-treated the whole house AGAIN the problem finally went away.

mommida Enthusiast

Have everyone in the house hold also use a blow dryer on their hair. The heat can render the adult lice sterile at least.

Sailing Girl Apprentice

Try the Nit-Free lice comb from Natural Ginesis. We had a HORRIBLE infestation and that cleared it up completely -- the comb has microscopic razors on the teeth, and it destroys the nits that remain in the hair.

We tried one of the medicinal remedies (can't remember which one) twice, and it didn't get rid of the problem. This comb did. But you have to comb through the hair methodically EVERY DAY for a couple of weeks to get them all.

Good luck -- it wasn't any fun, that's for sure.

buffettbride Enthusiast

My daughter picked up a case at Girl Scout camp a few years ago. She's a Celiac, and I'm not super into chemicals, so we got ourselves a really good lice comb and went through her hair strand-by strand every day for ten days to get it out. No special shampoos or chemicals, just a lot of diligence. In the process I transferred it to myself (the lice, that is) so make sure who is combing through your hair pulls their hair up and washes their hands really well. We boiled the lice comb between uses by holding it with tongs in boiling water for ten seconds at a time.

We also vacuumed all the furniture every day for a week and changed sheets on beds daily to make sure we were rid of it.

It's a big pain, but if you're on top of it you can be rid of it without any gluten or icky chemicals.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I was a preschool teacher thru college, and I picked it up there--mix that with a husband who was legally blind at the time=disaster. I had no one to go thru my hair. My mom actually drove 6 hours to stay with us to at least get rid of all the stuff on my head--we used the comb too. Washed everything in the closet because I had folded up a sweater I had worn and put it in the closet <_< Washed all the bedding, anthing I couldn't wash (dry clean only pillows and stuff) went into plastic bags and I used the vacuum to suck out all the air, tied them off and they stayed in there for a month (I think 2 weeks is standard). I also kept a plastic bag near the front door every day and when I came home, I stripped down, put the clothes in the bag and put the bag in the freezer (the cold kills them too) overnight before washing in hot water and drying on high. It was probably overkill, but I couldn't risk having it come back!!

Thank you all very much , If any one out there has more ideas that would be great.

I am already going crazy with extreme abdominal pain and all the Holiday stuff is very stressful.

I wonder if it is true if you get a buzz cut Jamie Lee Curtis or Halle Barry would be a solution. Someone told me that lice can not grow on very short hair ( I think he made it up) because they are everywhere :unsure: I even think :rolleyes: they arein my comfy wooly slippers! :lol::( I am laughing and crying at the same time Gotta go

LL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I think most drug stores have lice/nit(eggs) shampoos. Several repeat shampoos should work. Wash your hair brushes, combs, etc..

I am allergic to Ragweed and it says not to use the one brand. I also have Chemicle Sensitivity Syndrom. I did try one brand but it stinks the high heavens and I had to take Benedryl to stop a seriouse allergic reaction.

Thank you any way, I might have to try a nother brand I am on the Mayo naise thing now but I can not catch up with bagging all the clothes.

Vamonos Rookie

I will second the mayonaise treatment. It worked for my daughter. Cover the child's hair in a thick coating of the mayo and cover with a shower cap or plastic wrap for about 2 hours, then shampoo clean. All bedding should be washed thoroughly. Put any cloth toys or stuffed animals in plastic bags and leave for 2 weeks as another poster recommended. This was more effective than the commercial preparations on the market. Good luck. I remember how exhausting this process is and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

home-based-mom Contributor
I wonder if it is true if you get a buzz cut Jamie Lee Curtis or Halle Barry would be a solution. Someone told me that lice can not grow on very short hair ( I think he made it up) because they are everywhere :unsure:

One Focus On The Family program featured a lady who had been adopted off the streets of Korea when she was about 6 or so. She did say she had lice so bad they finally had to shave her head! :ph34r:

• 10 years later...
Lauren Macdonald Newbie

I have celiac disease and doing the gluten challenge before I was tested gave me the itchiest head and lumps that I thought must be lice bites. So I combed for nits, but I came up with nothing because it was the gluten, not lice, giving me the itch. However, I came across this is a brilliant set of videos about lice and how to get rid of it by an Australian woman who works, removing head lice. It shares her method and I've used it on my kids when they do have headline, it works brilliantly. https://www.nonitsnow.com.au/how-to-videos

I hope it helps you too