#1 dbuhl79

dbuhl79

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:57 AM

:( Does this sound firmilar to anyone..
I've been a saint the past few weeks about my gluten-free diet. I haven't touched ANYTHING remotely questionable (i.e., natural flavorings, food colorings etc.) Mainly my diet has been steamed veggies, fresh fruit, rice etc.

Suddenly last week or so I've suffered from what I call are hunger aches in the pit of my stomach. They won't go away and aren't relieved by eating food. It doesn't feel like true hunger but very similar.

(I suffered from this before going gluten-free and my doctors initially thought it was an ulcer but we've since eliminated that idea).

Has anyone else who's gluten-free suffered from this, any insight is appreciated. Getting tired of always feeling hungry.. :blink:
Thanks!
Positive Dietary Challenge, firmly believing gluten-free is the way to be!
gluten-free since Nov. 18, 2004.

Always learning along with the rest of everyone else... a never ending process.
Dana :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:16 AM

If you've mainly been eating veggies, fruit, and rice, you may not be getting enough fat or protein to keep your blood sugar stable - which would cause recurring hunger. Does it help if you have things that have more fat/protein (some meat, nuts, maybe a fair amount of peanut butter on an apple, some avocado, etc...)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:38 PM

I second that. I am hypoglycemic and if I don't get enough fat or protein I have that nagging hungry feeling all the time. Now that I am gluten-free I can get away with more carbs, less protein. But if I have a couple of days with no real meat (I'm not a veggie) then I start feeling it all the time. I've found that a great quick fix is eating a hamburger patty with some avocado and a slice of gluten-free bread. If that doesn't fix my hunger then there is something else going on...

:)

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#4 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:51 PM

Suddenly last week or so I've suffered from what I call are hunger aches in the pit of my stomach. They won't go away and aren't relieved by eating food. It doesn't feel like true hunger but very similar.

I am currently going through the same thing, I'm always hungrey and lately nothing seems to make the hunger go away for a significant amount of time. My doctor thought I should be tested for diabetes. I'm also experienceing other symtoms in addition to this though (too many to list right now!).
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#5 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:32 PM

My diet is mainly meat, green vegetables, fruits and nuts. Protien and fats take longer to digest and you don't feel hungry all of the time. A diet of mostly plants is high in carbs and digests quicker so you feel hungry more often. I have found that the right balance of protien, fats and carbs allows me to eat much less than I used to and not feel hungry.

Ianm
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#6 dbuhl79

dbuhl79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:42 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I hadn't thought of a lack of protein being an issue, but I imagine that may be potential cause. I'll give it a shot altering my diet.. quite frankly, its just a matter of time to grocery shop!! :)

#7 Fonda

Fonda

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:56 AM

Yes, my stomach feels like this a lot. I can eat, and within an hour sometimes, I feel hungry again. I have gained a few pounds just by trying to keep something in my stomach. Now, since I have been on the gluten-free diet, I have been eating plain rice cakes, that seems to help for a while. (I hope they are gluten-free) And now it seems that I can't get those pounds off. I have taken nexium, (in case it was GERD) but that didn't seem to help. If I get too hungry, it really hurts.

#8 dbuhl79

dbuhl79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:29 AM

Fonda,
I've found hat the protein does seem to add that extra little bit I needed apparently. Hopefully I'll keep losing weight in addition to this! Good luck with yours as I know that ache hunger pain is not pleasant!

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:43 PM

That's great that it seems to be working for you! (Don't forget the fat - in moderation, of course! :-) )
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#10 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:54 PM

I do have this problem and yet I eat more than just rice. I cant eat most veggies except pretty much just lettuce and peppers, peas and corn. Even that they all run right through me. Regardless of what I eat, I eat at least 5 times a day..and I keep losing weight. People are telling me again "you've lost weight" so you know its bad when someone can notice it again..
I'd tell you how to solve it but I dont have any idea, all I can say is I know how you feel :P
~Lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#11 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:23 PM

I have had the same problem. I think I have seen it referred to here as starving stomach. When it hit's me it usually happens a day before I get really ill. I think I must have ingested gluten at some point, them I feel like I am starving then it's followed by sickness.
It's almost like I can't get enough food.
Hope it helps
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

#12 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:11 PM

If you are female, this may come and go at will without obvious cause. Whether or not you are female, it can be the protein issue or even a hidden gluten issue. I go through this every time I accidentally get glutened. Even a small amount is like alcohol or drugs to and addict. It starts that same craving cycle again for a while.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: