This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

You May Already Know About The Mercury In Fillings...

mr. moore

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Novacaine doesn't do much for me either... my dentist has started using a much stronger anaesthetic (the kind he uses when pulling teeth) and that helps a lot!

You shouldn't have to feel any pain... don't be afraid to let your dentist know.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ravenwoodglass Mentor
how are you novacaine resistant is that possible?

My brain lacks the receptors for the 'caines'. It is complicated but that is the easiest way to explain it. I usually need about 5 times the normal dose when they do any of the work they need to do. That includes cleaning. Celiac also can effect the enamel on your teeth which leaves them really sensitive.

mr. moore Explorer

i can't wait any longer.

mr. moore Explorer

by the way, what is in the white fillings?

mr. moore Explorer

i just got my copay from when i go to the dentist monday, it's 275 dollars!! that's like 2 college classes! but if i help me then ill pay 500 dollars. seriously. but jeez that's a lot. why has all this happened to me?

ravenwoodglass Mentor
i just got my copay from when i go to the dentist monday, it's 275 dollars!! that's like 2 college classes! but if i help me then ill pay 500 dollars. seriously. but jeez that's a lot. why has all this happened to me?

I hope things go well and that you do get some resolution. Have you been eating a 'pure' unprocessed diet to prepare for it as many have reccommended? I sure hope so.

As far as the 'why me' goes, well I used to think the same thing and I am sure many of us here have. And about much more than just diet. In the end though everything I have been through has made me the person I am today, it has given me an empathy and understanding of others pain that I would not have had otherwise. I am someone who believes everything happens for a reason but often we don't know the reason until years later. Hang in there, I hope you are feeling better and I hope all goes well on Monday.

mr. moore Explorer
I hope things go well and that you do get some resolution. Have you been eating a 'pure' unprocessed diet to prepare for it as many have reccommended? I sure hope so.

As far as the 'why me' goes, well I used to think the same thing and I am sure many of us here have. And about much more than just diet. In the end though everything I have been through has made me the person I am today, it has given me an empathy and understanding of others pain that I would not have had otherwise. I am someone who believes everything happens for a reason but often we don't know the reason until years later. Hang in there, I hope you are feeling better and I hope all goes well on Monday.

what i mean was how come it was the mercury in my fillings that has affected me so much, when like tom so nicely put it, the other people with them aren't going crazy? is it cause i had them in when i was so young? or maybe im just sensitive to it? but that doesn't make much sense because mercury is very dangerous!

and one more: how come i had to figure this out all on my own? why didn't any doctor or psychiatrist notice my symptoms? why did i have to spend hours upon hours at borders reading and scratching off diseases and diagnoses?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rinne Apprentice
what i mean was how come it was the mercury in my fillings that has affected me so much, when like tom so nicely put it, the other people with them aren't going crazy? is it cause i had them in when i was so young? or maybe im just sensitive to it? but that doesn't make much sense because mercury is very dangerous!

and one more: how come i had to figure this out all on my own? why didn't any doctor or psychiatrist notice my symptoms? why did i have to spend hours upon hours at borders reading and scratching off diseases and diagnoses?

Excellent questions. :)

Everyone is different, some questions we can ask and ask but I think the really important question is how to get well?

Second question, many of us here have had to figure it our on our own, I think that indicates above average intelligence :lol::ph34r: and a determination to be well. I do not think Doctors are educated as to what wellness is, they are educated to wait until they can use their tests (which can harm) to diagnose the damage that has been done and then prescribe something that treats that. There is profit in our illness.

I hope the removal of the fillings goes well for you :)

Jestgar Rising Star
what i mean was how come it was the mercury in my fillings that has affected me so much,

maybe it isn't the mercury

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Dylan to be honest with you I don't think it is the fillings. I have had a mouth full of silver fillings for over 40 years. My teeth are the typical celiac teeth and practically dissolve so I have much more fillings than teeth at this point. I had many of your symptoms and much more. I gave up gluten and after a rough two weeks of withdrawl I began to heal. I still have all those fillings. My real fear for you right now is that having so much extensive dental work done will cause an excaberation of celiac symptoms if you are actually one of us. Did you get the celiac panel done yet? I think your dollars would be better spent on that. My opinion of course and the choice is yours and yours alone.

tom Contributor

Mercury is dangerous, yes, but what's in our mouths is amalgam. I realize some will argue my point, but everyone who's fine w/ their amalgams - everyone - would most likely get horribly ill if they were to break open an old thermometer & swallow the mercury.

Amalgam is not equivalent to mercury.

Anyway, I've had fillings since before I can remember.

Dylan, you're 19, right? I think that'd put you ~2nd grade when I had to give up a somewhat promising career due to (pretty effin severe imo) mental illness and other symptoms. There was no way I could've held a job. And I spiraled down for a few more years. Hmmm maybe 6 or 7?

Going gluten-free gave me a life back.

I still have some issues but I don't know if I'd be alive today had I not stopped eating gluten, whether due to suicide, an accident related to the myriad of debilitating symptoms, or some sort of related "natural" causes.

Before all of this started, I would NEVER have believed food could do such things.

One of your posts said something about how you couldn't or wouldn't live w/out wheat for the rest of your life.

If being 100% gluten-free for a month showed even a fraction of the improvement many of us had, I'm positive you'd be THRILLED beyond comprehension to have such a simple solution.

It may not be convenient in all circumstances, but it certainly is simple.

The only person I've heard of having a true mercury problem GOT it from faulty dentistry during removal of fillings!!

Foods CAN cause every one of your symptoms, it's more common than you currently know, and it's becoming more acknowledged all the time.

But, sincerely, best of luck whatever you do.

mr. moore Explorer

tom you always manage to just break my spirits, in fact im always crossing my fingers that you aren't going to reply. i don't even have the most basic symptoms of celiac disease, but when it comes to the ones not everyone has, then it seems everyone has it. but i guess your right i could be completely wrong. i don't know what i'll do if that happens. i've spent so much time and money to get to this point, you really don't understand how many people i've alienated and opportunities that have been lost. i said i'd get it checked. and yes someone can argue with what you said because from what i've read, amalgams are 54% mercury, so yes amalgams=mercury.

ok 2 things: you said going gluten free gave your life back. what were you like before you went gluten free? i thought other foods were a problem.

and the other things, the ones that have no other cause cept something even WORSE like a brain tumor or MS (not in order of importance of COURSE) are the blurred vision, the fact that i can't remember things, and the constant ringing of the ears, much like putting your ear right next to a TV that's on, or standing next to a vending machine. NONE. OF. THE. SYPMTOMS. HAVE. TO. DO. WITH. DIET. i tried everything. i tried every, and i tried thing. no msg, no aspartame, which meant no delicious chewing gum, no gluten no milk no this no that and i never felt something coming back, which i had lost due to an effect a food chemical had on me. the only exception is cereal, when i cut that my candida wasn't as bad and i wasn't as addicted. now i know you've had different problems, but to me, this is more important than anything in my entire life, and this week i know something good will happen. cause if it doesn't, it's back to square one and i'm running out of diseases, and im tired of "it's all in your head" :angry:

tom Contributor
tom you always manage to just break my spirits, in fact im always crossing my fingers that you aren't going to reply.

I don't know why this would be so.

Others write the same types of things I write.

I see others quote me, agreeing w/ me, and you quote them and thank them.

I'll stop trying to help.

Good luck.

rinne Apprentice

That's a funny expression, "it's all in your head", with mercury filling it is all in our heads. :o

Truthfully Mr.Moore you have me thinking I should be paying more attention to the fillings I still have in my mouth. :) Seriously. My fillings are pretty old and shouldn't be leeching anything anymore but a couple of years ago one broke and I am sure I swallowed some, it might even be one of the things that tipped me further into illness.

I think there are different stressers that affect our health, maybe a lot of us might have returned to health faster without the fillings we have. I don't know and I think that is what so many of us have had to deal with over the years, not knowing. It sounds like you understand that. :)

What we do know is that food can make a big difference, that is something we can control and in doing so we have seen enormous benefits. If you ever decide that you want some cooking lessons then you know where to find them. :)

I will be very interested to know how things are going with you, I wish you well. :)

curlyfries Contributor

I have not read anything in all your posts that tells me you have gone off any given food long enough to know whether that is affecting you. 1 or 2 weeks is not long enough......and many people have told you this. One or two MONTHS at LEAST would be more reliable. From what I have experienced and what I have heard from others, neurologic/mental issues take longer to go away than intestinal. Some extreme mental issues have been controlled well with a combination of diet and medication together.

And there are soooo many different symptoms of celiac. I have been reading this forum for a year, now, and I have seen people talk about ALL of your symptoms and more before you came along. So yes, a lot of people DO (or DID) have the same symptoms as you.

I hope you realize that if you do have candida, cutting out cereal is not going to make it go away. The candida diet is much more restrictive than the gluten-free diet.

Everybody here wants to help you.....even Tom :P . But we don't feel you really listen. I hope your dental appointment is the answer you seek, but if it isn't, we will still be here, and you are still welcome :) . As I have said before....you are on a journey....it will take time to find the answers you seek....but you are worth it.. And listen to others who have been through it.....they speak from experience. You are not as different as you think. ;)

ravenwoodglass Mentor
and the other things, the ones that have no other cause cept something even WORSE like a brain tumor or MS (not in order of importance of COURSE) are the blurred vision, the fact that i can't remember things, and the constant ringing of the ears, much like putting your ear right next to a TV that's on, or standing next to a vending machine. NONE. OF. THE. SYPMTOMS. HAVE. TO. DO. WITH. DIET.

Dylan Have you read my signature? I was thought for a long time to have MS and underwent some really painful tests for it. I have been thought to be bipolar, if fact I was diagnosed with a rare epilepsy of the subilleal region of my brain. I haven't had a seizure since a couple months into the diet. I have one family member who became frankly psychotic on gluten, you can't imagine the horrible phone calls I used to get from that person. Calls that if I had told the police about them would have had that person locked up for a long time. NOONE could have ever thought that those suicial and homociadal thoughts could have been caused by FOOD. They were.

As has been stated more than once the diet is not an instant fix. You can't do it for a week or two and say it doesn't help when you have neuro features.

People here are really trying to help you. We are here for you, we do understand, but you have to listen.

I do hope the dental work goes smoothly tommorrow. There have been many that have suggested going with an unprocessed diet before and after. If you take their advice and eat only fresh meats, beans, rice, potatoes, fish, eggs, fruit and veggies, or single ingredient frozen it will help you 'detox', then after a month or two you could add back in the gluten and other processed foods, one at a time and watch and see what happens.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
tom you always manage to just break my spirits, in fact im always crossing my fingers that you aren't going to reply. i don't even have the most basic symptoms of celiac disease, but when it comes to the ones not everyone has, then it seems everyone has it.

:huh:

Out of everyone on this forum, Tom is actually the one to whom you should be listening the most.....you don't know his past and his entire scope of symptoms and illness, Mr. Moore.

you.haven't.tried.the.gluten-free.diet.long.enough.

Period.

:)

and just as Lisa said, we'll be here for you, if and when you figure out the gluten-free lifestyle is for you, and you realize that foods CAN cause most or all of your symptoms.

mr. moore Explorer
Dylan Have you read my signature? I was thought for a long time to have MS and underwent some really painful tests for it. I have been thought to be bipolar, if fact I was diagnosed with a rare epilepsy of the subilleal region of my brain. I haven't had a seizure since a couple months into the diet. I have one family member who became frankly psychotic on gluten, you can't imagine the horrible phone calls I used to get from that person. Calls that if I had told the police about them would have had that person locked up for a long time. NOONE could have ever thought that those suicial and homociadal thoughts could have been caused by FOOD. They were.

As has been stated more than once the diet is not an instant fix. You can't do it for a week or two and say it doesn't help when you have neuro features.

People here are really trying to help you. We are here for you, we do understand, but you have to listen.

I do hope the dental work goes smoothly tommorrow. There have been many that have suggested going with an unprocessed diet before and after. If you take their advice and eat only fresh meats, beans, rice, potatoes, fish, eggs, fruit and veggies, or single ingredient frozen it will help you 'detox', then after a month or two you could add back in the gluten and other processed foods, one at a time and watch and see what happens.

its interesting you mention seizure, because i had an MRI done and at first they though "petite mal seizures" and i was like "yay! i know what's wrong with me!" but then they did it again and it was negative. just to give you an idea of the stuff they thought i had...

mr. moore Explorer

has someone gotten this done before? its happening tomorrow, im scared. my teeth are very sensitive!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
its interesting you mention seizure, because i had an MRI done and at first they though "petite mal seizures" and i was like "yay! i know what's wrong with me!" but then they did it again and it was negative. just to give you an idea of the stuff they thought i had...

Did they mention to you or did you see on the films something called UBOs? These are bright white spots on the MRI that are similar to what they see with MS but in the wrong place. Were these what made the doctors think you might have MS? Here most doctors think they are nothing when in other countries they are recognized as being caused by celiac and are used for diagnosis.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
has someone gotten this done before? its happening tomorrow, im scared. my teeth are very sensitive!

Dylan, The doctor will get you really numb before he does the procedure. Were you in a lot of pain after you have gotten other fillings? Having these done should not cause any more discomfort than that did. If you are concerned mention it to the dentist before you get the work done. Generally it is okay to take something like tylenol before the numbing agent wears off to ensure that you are not uncomfortable. My teeth sort of dissolved when I had braces. After they were removed they had me do an outpatient procedure in the hospital where they did about 20 fillings and 2 root canals. I had no pain afterwards. We can't always judge by anothers experience but I hope this goes as smoothly for you as that went for me.

Let us know how things go.

mr. moore Explorer

well i got them out. at least 3 of them anyways. i was hoping all of them would be out in one sitting but when you think about it it would take a long time for the dentist. anyways i actually feel kinda good, like not so restless. but that might be because i was so nervous during the whole thing. im still a little dissapointed my vision hasn't cleared up but i guess i'll just have to wait to see the eye disease doctor. my mom has glaucoma i won't be too surprised if i get it. i just wish i could get the other ones out now so i can start to feel better like 100%. but if i could wait till today 2 weeks ago through all that pain, i guess i can wait till the 9th of feb.

mr. moore Explorer

now that i have some out, can i begin chelatin, like with cilantro? or is it still dangerous? what about DMSA?

and just curious, but it's not a placebo affect, this sense of relief and calm is it? i mean surely i'll feel a little bit better right? i wish someone else had there's removed.

curlyfries Contributor

You are setting yourself up for a BIG disappointment if you think this one thing is going to cure ALL your problems. :( This worries me.

rinne Apprentice

Mr.Moore I am glad that you are feeling better. :)

I don't know whether your body would respond that quickly but then I don't know a lot about mercury removal other than you should have someone helping you with it. I thought that dentists that specialized in mercury removal had a procedure, no?

As I have said before, finding our true health may be more like peeling layers away from an onion. We are more complex than one simple solution and each of us has to find out what works for us, the important thing is to trust that leaning towards health and wellness brings health and wellness. By leaning, I mean paying attention to how we live our lives and what we put into our minds and bodies.

Make the choice to nourish yourself, only you can. :)

Archived