This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Blood Type

cat3883

cat3883 Explorer

I wonder if there was a study done one this. It seems more people with O have celiac just from this post. My gastro says that it affects more people with English decent. I also read an article that in the UK they are working on a vaccine for Celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Another person mentioned this... according the American Red Cross, here's the prevalence of each blood type in the US population:

O pos - 38%

O neg - 7%

A pos - 34%

A neg - 6%

B pos - 9%

B neg - 2%

AB pos - 3%

AB neg -1%

Do celiacs have a higher percentage of any particular blood type? Unfortunately, this poll is not a random sample and does not have enough participants to gather any useful data ;) Also, would you include only biopsy-diagnosed celiacs? People with DQ2 or DQ8? People with self-diagnosed intolerance? It could make a difference.

DQ4 is the only genetic type that is NOT sensitive to gluten. "Dangerous Grains" estimates that as much as 1/3 of the population could have active gluten intolerance.

Incidentally... I'm O- I'm just not sure it makes much of a difference. :lol:

nb-canada Apprentice

B+ dark blonde hair & blue eyes - Scottish, Irish, English descent.

I also have an antibody in my blood (anti-c little c) not sure where it came from. I did have a blood transfusion a couple of years before the antibody was discovered. Does anyone else have an antibody?

confused Community Regular

Thanks for posting the percentages on blood test. I never knew that o+ that was popular. I also use to think that O-was more rare then what it was. My mom is 0- so when she had me they had blood waiting for us in case she needed an transfusion.

paula

digmom1014 Enthusiast

I'm O. The universal donor and receiver, that is what my dr. told me.

neesee Apprentice
I'm O. The universal donor and receiver, that is what my dr. told me.

O negative is the universal donor, but I'm pretty sure that AB positive is the universal recipient. :)

neesee

psawyer Proficient

My understanding is that there is compatibility when there are no factors in the donor blood which are not in the recipient's. That makes O- a universal donor, while AB+ is a universal recipient.

I am aware that there are other factors which enter into the matching in situations more complex than transfusions, such as transplants. But that is my understanding for a blood transfusion.

I don't believe that your blood type has anything to do with what you can or should eat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angieInCA Apprentice

O- is the Universal Donor BUT can only recieve O- blood in a transfusion. I have always had to plan ahead when having procedures in case blood is needed (I'm O-)

neesee Apprentice

This chart explains blood types and who can receive or donate what type of blood.

Open Original Shared Link

neesee

Jaimepsalm63 Rookie

A+

Biopsy dx

Irish/English/Scottish/Welsh decent

Jestgar Rising Star
My understanding is that there is compatibility when there are no factors in the donor blood which are not in the recipient's. That makes O- a universal donor, while AB+ is a universal recipient.

There are a lot of other antigens that they test for. We all no about the Rh factor (+ or -) because that's the one that will kill you immediately if it's wrong.

This site has a lot of info, if you're curious.

neesee Apprentice
There are a lot of other antigens that they test for. We all no about the Rh factor (+ or -) because that's the one that will kill you immediately if it's wrong.

This site has a lot of info, if you're curious.

That would be me. ;) Thanks for the link. It's interesting stuff. I knew there was more involved than just to + and the -, but I haven't found a lot of information on it.

FWIW, Hillary Clinton has a fairly rare blood type. Dd was working for the red cross when HC was scheduled to come to town. Her visit was delayed for a few hours so they could acquire her very special B- blood. That was back when her hubby was president.

neesee

bigbird16 Apprentice

A+ here of Euromutt descent: Celt, German, Nordic, Anglo, etc.

mushroom Proficient
FWIW, Hillary Clinton has a fairly rare blood type. Dd was working for the red cross when HC was scheduled to come to town. Her visit was delayed for a few hours so they could acquire her very special B- blood

neesee

DH has the same blood type (and is gluten intolerant). He was always told not to routinely donate; they would call him when they needed him. This is supposedly a very common blood type in the American Indian, by the way, so he was an especially important donor in the army.

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

I am O positive.

Welda Johnson Newbie

I'm O Negative--Universal donor--our blood type makes up about 15% of the population, and can give blood to any other blood type. Welda

emcmaster Collaborator

O+

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
A+ here of Euromutt descent: Celt, German, Nordic, Anglo, etc.

HAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! I'm stealing that.....

Katsby Apprentice

I'm O+

• 4 weeks later...
DakotaRN Newbie

O negative. Scandinavian decent.

vikingtom Newbie

Likewise :)

ranger Enthusiast
There was an earlier post asking what color hair people have that have celiac disease. My question is what is your blood type? Mine is O positive. I read about what I should and shouldnt eat with my blood type. One of the things it says is to stay away from gluten. I found this very interesting.

Im ab- blue eyes formerly blonde hair ( now grey) and Irish

• 2 years later...
echopod Newbie

A+ for me too, three in a row. I think I sound like a few others though - reddish brown hair that was strawberry blond when I was younger, pale freckled skin, Scottish, Irish, and Swedish heritage. I knew a girl with Celiac Disease about 10 years before my diagnosis...I'm sure what she said the symptoms were reminded me of myself, but I notice people who have the pale, red-hued flushed skin like I have, and she had it too. But that's also a symptom of being Irish and Scottish. :)

julandjo Explorer

A+

sariesue Explorer

A+

Archived