This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Enchilada Sauce

Juliebove

Juliebove Rising Star

Might this be possible? I've been making enchilada casserole in the crockpot with various recipes and just made one in the oven last night. I layer corn tortillas, cooked ground beef and some kind of sauce. I sometimes buy the canned gluten-free stuff, or tomato sauce with seasonings, but last night I used jarred salsa. I loved it and husband seemed to like it. Daughter complained that it was too spicy, even though the salsa was mild. I would put peppers and onions on there but daughter doesn't like them in it.

I want to try making something like this for my mom but she can't have any nightshades (peppers, tomatoes, eggplant...) and neither she nor my daughter like salsa verde. I wasn't sure what was in it but I just looked it up and it does contain nightshades anyway in the form of chile peppers.

I just don't know what kind of sauce I would use. I suppose it I covered it and watched it carefully, I could make it without sauce and the tortillas would stay soft. Perhaps I could serve sauce on the side for those who could eat it?

I am thinking that a cream or cheese sauce would also be good, but three of us can't have dairy. I do have some rice cheese but daughter seems not to like it cooked in most things and husband won't eat it. Not sure if parents would eat it. They are pretty picky eaters.

Soy messes with my thyroid so I can't do soy cheese or soy milk. Three of us are allergic to almonds so almond milk is out. And with husband in the military and having drug testing, hemp milk is a no go.

Any ideas? Would a beef gravy be good? Just thinking out loud. I have some beef gravy mix. Hmmm...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Voix Rookie

I worked in a Mexican restaurant once. I believe that its enchilada sauce consisted of roux made with oil, not butter, cumin, salt, and chicken broth, I believe. You will have to experiment, but the right combo is really great and not spicy at all.

Juliebove Rising Star
I worked in a Mexican restaurant once. I believe that its enchilada sauce consisted of roux, oil, cumin, salt, and chicken broth, I believe. You will have to experiment, but the right combo is really great and not spicy at all.

Hmmm... Mom is allergic to chicken. Do you think beef broth would work?

Voix Rookie

sure. if you try this and find quantities that work, will you post it?

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

You could make a white enchilada sauce if there is some sort of sour cream substitute you can use. Sweat an onion and a couple of cloves of garlic until very soft. Add beef stock and sour cream sub and simmer. If there is no dairy/soy free sub maybe you could thicken this up and season it up a bit with cumin/mexican oregano.

Hope this helps. I can never remember if onions and garlic are nightshades.

• 2 weeks later...
Juliebove Rising Star
You could make a white enchilada sauce if there is some sort of sour cream substitute you can use. Sweat an onion and a couple of cloves of garlic until very soft. Add beef stock and sour cream sub and simmer. If there is no dairy/soy free sub maybe you could thicken this up and season it up a bit with cumin/mexican oregano.

Hope this helps. I can never remember if onions and garlic are nightshades.

There is no sour cream sub that I know of. I can get rice or coconut yogurt but it's really sweet. I don't think it would work here.

Onions are not a nightshade. I think garlic is related to onion.

Archived