This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Highly Sensitive People

Gentleheart

Gentleheart Enthusiast

Some of us can eat most anything that is marked gluten free right off the shelf. Our tolerance levels to gluten are a little higher and we have a lot more choices. But others are so sensitive that they can barely tolerate any at all.

What companies do you absolutely trust to remain consistently 5-10 ppm gluten free? Aside from human error and circumstances beyond their control, what companies do you honestly trust across the board? It would be nice if that opinion could be backed up with personal experience or some other reasonable evidence.

I'd like to make a list. I think it would be helpful to many people. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I am super sensitive and the manufacturers that I trust and use almost daily are: Namaste, McCormick, Living Harvest, Chebe, Cause You're Special and 365 (provided it's made in a dedicated facility). I've never had a gluten reaction to any product from these companies. I'm sure there are many others out there. These are just the ones I like.

Gentleheart Enthusiast
I am super sensitive and the manufacturers that I trust and use almost daily are: Namaste, McCormick, Living Harvest, Chebe, Cause You're Special and 365 (provided it's made in a dedicated facility). I've never had a gluten reaction to any product from these companies. I'm sure there are many others out there. These are just the ones I like.

Thank you, Janet! Good start.

Felidae Enthusiast

McCormick spices (in the small glass jars)

Tinkyada

Kinnikinnick

Enjoy Life

Glutino

I'll add to this when I think of some more...

Also, I am very sensitive!

Gentleheart Enthusiast

Thanks, Felidae!

I forgot to add that I would also like to especially mention any companies who are not only careful about gluten, but may also avoid many other troublesome intolerance or allergy foods as well. Those are really hard to find for multiple allergy people! Some wonderful gluten free mixes or prepared foods will be just perfect and then there it is......CORN or CANE SUGAR or WHATEVER.

Great list so far. Thanks!

jerseyangel Proficient

After 3 1/2 years, I am still ultra sensitive to trace amounts, plus I have several additional intolerances. I buy only a few processed products--

Ener-g (flours/starches)

Enjoy Life

Cause Your Special

McCormick Spices and extracts

Pacific Milks and broths

Gluten Free Pantry

Smart Balance

Tinkyada

Lay's Stax

Enrico's Pasta Sauce

Boylan's Natural Sodas (gluten-free and made with cane sugar)

MaryJones2 Enthusiast
Thanks, Felidae!

I forgot to add that I would also like to especially mention any companies who are not only careful about gluten, but may also avoid many other troublesome intolerance or allergy foods as well. Those are really hard to find for multiple allergy people! Some wonderful gluten free mixes or prepared foods will be just perfect and then there it is......CORN or CANE SUGAR or WHATEVER.

Great list so far. Thanks!

Excellent point. Soy and dairy drive me nuts. I feel contamination for 2 or 3 days. There are so many gluten-free products that bother me because of other intolerances. I should've said products that have never given me a gluten, dairy or soy reaction.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Good idea. Here are my additions. I react to just about anything made in a shared facility. These things are good.

Bards Tale beer

Woodchuck cider

Franzia box wine

Thai Kitchen, if marked gluten free

Tropical Source chocolate

Real Foods corn thins in Australia the limit is 5 ppm

Birkett Mills buckwheat products a dedicated facility

Ancient Harvest quinoa

Montina also dedicated

Eden Blend gluten free rice and soy milk

Foods certified by CSA - those are tested to 3 ppm Open Original Shared Link

Wegmans brand gluten free things are almost all good. I am lucky to live where there is a Wegmans grocery store.

Most of these things I have tested with a home kit to less than 10 ppm. My system is more sensitive than that, so the fact that I can eat it means that it contains even less than that.

Gentleheart Enthusiast

Excellent posts! Thanks! I'm sure this will help many people who are having trouble. When you are very sensitive, you get really tired of plain foods and no treats. It's so nice to have some variety once in awhile. :)

Gentleheart Enthusiast
Most of these things I have tested with a home kit to less than 10 ppm. My system is more sensitive than that, so the fact that I can eat it means that it contains even less than that.

Dilettantesteph, have you ever tested Miss Robens products like their flours, guar gums, baking powders, etc.? If not, have you ever tested any companies who carry a full line of baking ingredients we can trust?

I just thought that we should add the caution that companies change their formulations and processing facilities all the time and people should always do as much checking for themselves as they can. These are just leads.

ive Rookie
have you ever tested Miss Robens products like their flours, guar gums, baking powders, etc.? If not, have you ever tested any companies who carry a full line of baking ingredients we can trust?

Gentleheart,

Authentic Foods states on their website: "Authentic Foods manufactures Gluten-Free Flours, Mixes, and Baking Supplies. All of our flours are stone milled and packaged in a wheat-free and gluten-free environment." Open Original Shared Link)

They carry a whole line of baking supplies. Their products are somewhat expensive, but their flours are really good. I am extra sensitive to gluten as well and just recently had to switch all my baking supplies to Authentic Foods.

raisin Enthusiast

Here are some recently confirmed dedicated gluten-free lines, also free of soy and dairy;

Bounty, Charmin, Puffs "paper" products

Savonnerie lotions, soaps, etc

Softlips chapstick

Loreal Feria hair color

Alegra(including generic), Advil, Vicks (excludes cough drops) medicines

Deerpark, Desani water

Pom pomegranate, V8, Juicy juice

Folgers, Starbucks, Green Mountain coffee

Bigelow tea has never made me sick, but has potential for CC in theory.

Enjoy Life, EnerG, Foods Alive, Pocono Heart Of Buckwheat, Green Mountain Gringo, Blackwing Bison Meat, The Buffalo Guys food products.

Bob's Red Mill, Organic Prairie, produce gluten and gluten-free items on separate equipment so just check labels.

caek-is-a-lie Explorer

I love Glutino. I haven't had a problem yet. Best products ever.

JAMES14 Newbie

I've got a question to add. I always understood that ingredients with under 200 ppm of gluten is considered gluten free, yet some people state that they cannot tolerate trace amounts. What are these trace amounts? 5-10 ppm? We have been baking and selling gluten free baked goods for over 18 months with not one single complaint? Our base flour is tested by the company processing it and they have never had a test over 8 ppm. Is this a problem? I will be switching to a company that processes in a gluten free facility. But my question is, can some Celiacs have a problem with 8 ppm of gluten?

I've got a question to add. I always understood that ingredients with under 200 ppm of gluten is considered gluten free, yet some people state that they cannot tolerate trace amounts. What are these trace amounts? 5-10 ppm? We have been baking and selling gluten free baked goods for over 18 months with not one single complaint? Our base flour is tested by the company processing it and they have never had a test over 8 ppm. Is this a problem? I will be switching to a company that processes in a gluten free facility. But my question is, can some Celiacs have a problem with 8 ppm of gluten?

My son and I both have problems with 5 ppm. Most people won't complain when they have problems. You can't really be certain where the problem came from. You just don't buy that item again, just in case.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Hi James, to answer your question yes. 8 ppm can make some of us sick. The generally accepted threshold is 20 PPM in the US. Once the FDA regulations go into effect products will have to be at 20 PPM or less to be called gluten-free. The problem with most people on this particular thread, myself included, is that we can't tolerate even 20 PPM. Most of us supersensitive types get sick if we eat products that are made on the same equipment as gluten (production lines or equipment like baking pans). We also often get sick from products made in the same factories as gluten products (especially when wheat flour is being used in the facility).

lisa25 Rookie

Has anyone who is gluten, dairy, and soy free had a problem with any Pamela's products...specifically cake mix and bread mix? They say they are made in a gluten free facility, but I am wondering about CC with dairy and soy.

climbmtwhitney Apprentice
Has anyone who is gluten, dairy, and soy free had a problem with any Pamela's products...specifically cake mix and bread mix? They say they are made in a gluten free facility, but I am wondering about CC with dairy and soy.

Hi.

We are GFCFSF and live on Pamela's Wheat Free (GFCFSF) Bread Mix. We also like Pamela's frosting & cake mixes. No problems. Ever. We are disappointed that their Pancake Mix isn't CF as well.

Jill

Alex J Apprentice
Birkett Mills buckwheat products a dedicated facility

Does this mean the Poconos cream of buckwheat is from the same dedicated facility? I couldn't find it on the website and keep forgetting to call in business hours.

Alex J Apprentice
Does this mean the Poconos cream of buckwheat is from the same dedicated facility? I couldn't find it on the website and keep forgetting to call in business hours.

Should have read on to discover someone already answered this. Good to know!

• 2 weeks later...
oceangirl Collaborator

Thank you for this useful thread for We the Ultra-Sensitive!

I don't eat much processed food and DO eat dairy (for 2 years, however, I was gluten, soy, dairy, egg, legume, nightshade, high fructose corn syrup and corn free- can't remember what I did eat-KIDDING!) I am ridiculously sensitive to gluten and still eat no gluten, soy, legumes or HFCS.

I completely trust:

TINKYADA

ENJOY LIFE

ENRICO'S SAUCE

GLUTINO (I've only used their rice flour)

LUNDBERGH

LARABAR (Although the dates can cause some IBSish symptoms so only a few bites here and there...)

PLANTER'S NUTS

McCORMICK'S SPICES

For Dairy Eaters:

FAGE YOGURT (Yum!)

Cabot cheddar cheese and butter

For Products:

FRUCTIS SHAMPOO

SUAVE SHAMPOO (Use vinegar for conditioner- the best!)

IVORY soap

SEVENTH GENERATION DISH SOAP

LANCOME LE ROUGE ABSOLU LIPSTICK, FACE CREAM AND EYELINER

TOM'S OF MAINE TOOTHEPASTE AND FLOSS

I hope this is helpful! Health to all!!!!!!!

lisa

Archived