20 replies to this topic

#1 cupoftea

cupoftea

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:56 PM

I have starting baking gluten free at home and notice most recipes call for gluten free vanilla extract. I am not celiac myself and am this is all new to me; so I am not sure about a few different ingredients.
Is vanilla extract gluten free or is there certain ones that are and ones that are not?
Another ingredient I am curious about is Club House Maple Extract (this one contains both artificial colour and caramel flavour).

Please help. Thanx.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

Alcohol would be the ingredient of concern, and it's distilled and therefore OK.

We always by McCormicks.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:00 PM

You can never go wrong with McCormick - all of their extracts are gluten-free and they will clearly label any gluten in their products. Another vanilla extract that is gluten-free is Nielsen-Massey. Many store brands have gluten-free lists so you'll have to contact the store if extract isn't listed to be sure.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#4 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:07 PM

Cupoftea - are you located in the USA or elsewhere?

#5 cupoftea

cupoftea

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

Cupoftea - are you located in the USA or elsewhere?

Ontario, Canada

#6 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

Hopefully some of our Canadian members can stop by and help further answer your questions re: specific brands, as I'm not sure what the Canadian labeling laws are.

#7 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:18 PM

touche Laura! :) cupoftea - here is a thread on Clubhouse that might be helpful: http://www.celiac.co...showtopic=36571

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#8 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:24 PM

:lol:

Cupoftea - the "u" in flavor/flavour clued me in. It may take a few hours or a day or so, but I'm sure someone will be by to help. Welcome to the board - we have many Canadians as members.

#9 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

I have starting baking gluten free at home and notice most recipes call for gluten free vanilla extract. I am not celiac myself and am this is all new to me; so I am not sure about a few different ingredients.
Is vanilla extract gluten free or is there certain ones that are and ones that are not?
Another ingredient I am curious about is Club House Maple Extract (this one contains both artificial colour and caramel flavour).

Please help. Thanx.

I buy pure vanilla, not the fake stuff. Yes it is a little bit more expensive, but there are no artificial flavours. I use Western Family brand for pure vanilla. I'm out west so I'm not sure if this brand is in the east, but it is an Overwaitea store brand.

I tend to stay away from artificial flavours if I can. I just don't trust them.

I would suggest you e-mail or call Club House. I hope someone else can help you out on here.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#10 cupoftea

cupoftea

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:11 AM

Thanks everyone.

I did a little digging and found out that Club House is made by McCormicks as well. I think I may go back to pure vanialla extract and then I wont have to worry about it anyway..

#11 cindylouwho412

cindylouwho412

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:45 AM

hi, Kirkland brand from Costco has a pure vanilla and it even says gluten free on the label!!

also, if you have been doing a bunch of baking, i found a great flour that substitutes 1 for 1 like wheat flour..no need to combine flours or add xanthumgum or anything! it is at Authenticfoods.com, and is the all purpose flour. I made chocolate chip cookies...amazing!!!

#12 celiac-charmer

celiac-charmer

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

This is awesome info!

I've always been confused when it comes to Vanilla for baking.

Glad to know McCormicks is good for me is awesome!

#13 Cheryl_C

Cheryl_C

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

I know this is a bit old, I just want to clarify - the ClubHouse Artifical Vanilla extract is ok? I should probably switch to natural anyway, since it's probably healthier...but I'd love to finish the bottle that's already open if it's not going to be harmful. :blink:

#14 vanillaguy

vanillaguy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:04 AM

All vanilla extracts are GLUTEN-FREE-Do not waste your money on brands that are certified, they are no different.
Gluten cannot form in ethanol and since all extracts available on NA. market contain a minimum of 35% alcohol. Brands that you should be weary of are from Mexico. They have different recipes and methods of making their extracts. The end result is an extract that only contains 12% alcohol. As far as I have found a minimum of 20%alcohol must be present to deter the formation of gluten.
One thing to note for you health buffs or concerning digestive systems is that all industrial extracts are made with watered-down moonshine. Moonshine has been distilled only once and contains many constituents that are very harmful to our body. And yes, only a tsp can wreak havoc on our systems trying to process this quality of alcohol. It is only the flavor of the alcohol that gets burned off during baking.
I see a lot of sites promoting using vanilla extract in smooties, yoghurts, and oatmeals-DO NOT DO THIS!!!-unless you are looking for an early morning buzz:)
Make your own out of Vodka and quality vanilla beans (store bought uses very cheap vanilla). Vodka has been triple distilled which means that most of the bad stuff has been filtered out.
Use at least 4 quality beans per cup of alcohol. The better the quality of vanilla the better quality extract. If you use the best vanilla possible
(find here-nakedsweetshop.com) you will be able to use your extract as a tincture and vanilla is SUPER GOOD FOR YOU!!!!
http://www.indepthin.../benefits.shtml

#15 vanillaguy

vanillaguy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

I know this is a bit old, I just want to clarify - the ClubHouse Artifical Vanilla extract is ok? I should probably switch to natural anyway, since it's probably healthier...but I'd love to finish the bottle that's already open if it's not going to be harmful. :blink:

Artificial extracts contain a compound called coumarin which is toxic to our livers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: