17 replies to this topic

#1 JoeB

JoeB

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

I just started using Nestle's hot chocolate mix last month after seeing on this site that it is gluten free. Unfortunately, I just bought a new box and it no longer says that it's gluten free. It now says it is made in a factory that processes wheat.

Be careful! Check the box before using.
Joe B, Connecticut

Diagnosed April, 2005

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

The fact that it's made in a facility that also has wheat doesn't necessarily mean it isn't gluten-free. I eat --and so do many people with celiac -- a number of items made in facilities with wheat. Every time you eat a restaurant, you're doing the same thing. It's simply a matter of choice.

richard

#3 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:08 PM

Its important to note that the product and processing may not have changed from when it said gluten free. They may have just updated their labels. (Meaning - if it was gluten free then, it would still be gluten free now).

A shared facility does not mean it contains gluten. Most places are "shared" (including many homes and work environments).

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:17 AM

If this used to say gluten free on the box then it may be more than just the CC issue. Call the company and see if they have added barley malt to the flavoring before assuming that it is just a CYA issue. They don't have to put the barley malt in the ingredient list and can just hide it in 'natural flavors'.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:55 AM

Did it actually ever say gluten-free on the box, or were you just assuming it did because people said it was gluten-free? I didn't think Nestle labeled things gluten-free.

richard

#6 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:41 AM

If this used to say gluten free on the box then it may be more than just the CC issue. Call the company and see if they have added barley malt to the flavoring before assuming that it is just a CYA issue. They don't have to put the barley malt in the ingredient list and can just hide it in 'natural flavors'.

wow are you sure about this one?
Judy
Judy in Southern CA

#7 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:19 AM

Per a phone call this morning to Nestle, all of their hot cocoa products are gluten free.

#8 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:22 AM

Per a phone call this morning to Nestle, all of their hot cocoa products are gluten free.

Thanks Laura
Judy
Judy in Southern CA

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

wow are you sure about this one?
Judy

Yes barley malt can be hidden and is one of the most risky items for us. Wheat has to by law be on a label, barley and it's malt as well as oats and rye don't. One of the reasons why I always call with the words 'natural' flavors on a label unless it is from a for sure 'doesn't hide gluten' company. Rice Dream is one company that hides barley malt in this way and others do also.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#10 JoeB

JoeB

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

Barley malt is not listed as an ingredient.

The box previously was labeled gluten-free. The new boxes are not.

I understand the cross contamination issue, however, I've gotten very sick on several products that contained no gluten, but were produced in a factory that processed wheat products. As a result, I try to stay away from those products whenever possible.

Joe
Joe B, Connecticut

Diagnosed April, 2005

#11 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

The ingredients have not changed, nor has the processing changed (per phone call). It was gluten free then, and is gluten free now.

#12 Eric_C

Eric_C

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:37 AM

Yep I can confirm the old boxes said gluten free.

We just had this discussion at the grocery story. We rarely buy it in the first place and when we did the wife always bought Nestle because it was the only one that said gluten free.

With the power outage all last week and no heat we picked up a few boxes and immediately noticed not gluten free.

A box later no problems but you never know. I don't think they can put the gluten-free label because its not an exclusive factory?

#13 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:03 AM

Personally, I still trust the Nestle's but if you would like for your hot chocolate to be labeled gluten free (and be cheaper), check out the Great Value (Wal-Mart) brand.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#14 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:33 AM

Nestle and their other company Wonka candy will disclose any gluten in their products. All you have to do to determine if it's gluten free is read the label. :)
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#15 brigala

brigala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:45 AM

Try Stephen's Gourmet Hot Cocoa. It's labeled "Gluten Free" and it is delicious. And less expensive (oz for oz) than Nestle, at least at my local Winco.
( http://www.indulgentfoods.com/ )
I don't know about possible cc issues with them, although I have sent an inquiry through their website, and will post when I hear back. I am not a super-sensitive Celiac so the fact that I haven't had a problem with it probably is not a good benchmark for others to follow.

Guittard also makes a "Drinking Chocolate" but it's fairly spendy and I've never seen it in the store. It can be ordered on their website:
( http://guittard-onli...ngproducts.html )
According to the FAQ at guittard.com, they do not produce any gluten-containing products in their factory. I bought some of their butterscotch chips at the store the other day. They've got a to-die-for-looking butterscotch brownie recipe on their website that I'm going to try using rice flour as a substitute.

I avoid Nestle for reasons of conscience anyway, so I've been on the lookout for alternative-hot-cocoa-mixes for a long time. :)

-Elizabeth

gluten-free since mid-2007.
Symptoms: "IBS," chronic fatigue, chronic pain. 

Celiac is a family affair for us; my mom, sister, and one of my sons are gluten free. At least it makes holiday gatherings easier. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: