Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Nestle's Hot Chocolate

18 posts in this topic

I just started using Nestle's hot chocolate mix last month after seeing on this site that it is gluten free. Unfortunately, I just bought a new box and it no longer says that it's gluten free. It now says it is made in a factory that processes wheat.

Be careful! Check the box before using.

Ads by Google:

The fact that it's made in a facility that also has wheat doesn't necessarily mean it isn't gluten-free. I eat --and so do many people with celiac -- a number of items made in facilities with wheat. Every time you eat a restaurant, you're doing the same thing. It's simply a matter of choice.

richard

Its important to note that the product and processing may not have changed from when it said gluten free. They may have just updated their labels. (Meaning - if it was gluten free then, it would still be gluten free now).

A shared facility does not mean it contains gluten. Most places are "shared" (including many homes and work environments).

If this used to say gluten free on the box then it may be more than just the CC issue. Call the company and see if they have added barley malt to the flavoring before assuming that it is just a CYA issue. They don't have to put the barley malt in the ingredient list and can just hide it in 'natural flavors'.

Did it actually ever say gluten-free on the box, or were you just assuming it did because people said it was gluten-free? I didn't think Nestle labeled things gluten-free.

richard

If this used to say gluten free on the box then it may be more than just the CC issue. Call the company and see if they have added barley malt to the flavoring before assuming that it is just a CYA issue. They don't have to put the barley malt in the ingredient list and can just hide it in 'natural flavors'.

wow are you sure about this one?

Judy

Per a phone call this morning to Nestle, all of their hot cocoa products are gluten free.

Per a phone call this morning to Nestle, all of their hot cocoa products are gluten free.

Thanks Laura

Judy

wow are you sure about this one?

Judy

Yes barley malt can be hidden and is one of the most risky items for us. Wheat has to by law be on a label, barley and it's malt as well as oats and rye don't. One of the reasons why I always call with the words 'natural' flavors on a label unless it is from a for sure 'doesn't hide gluten' company. Rice Dream is one company that hides barley malt in this way and others do also.

Barley malt is not listed as an ingredient.

The box previously was labeled gluten-free. The new boxes are not.

I understand the cross contamination issue, however, I've gotten very sick on several products that contained no gluten, but were produced in a factory that processed wheat products. As a result, I try to stay away from those products whenever possible.

Joe

The ingredients have not changed, nor has the processing changed (per phone call). It was gluten free then, and is gluten free now.

Yep I can confirm the old boxes said gluten free.

We just had this discussion at the grocery story. We rarely buy it in the first place and when we did the wife always bought Nestle because it was the only one that said gluten free.

With the power outage all last week and no heat we picked up a few boxes and immediately noticed not gluten free.

A box later no problems but you never know. I don't think they can put the gluten-free label because its not an exclusive factory?

Personally, I still trust the Nestle's but if you would like for your hot chocolate to be labeled gluten free (and be cheaper), check out the Great Value (Wal-Mart) brand.

Nestle and their other company Wonka candy will disclose any gluten in their products. All you have to do to determine if it's gluten free is read the label. :)

Try Stephen's Gourmet Hot Cocoa. It's labeled "Gluten Free" and it is delicious. And less expensive (oz for oz) than Nestle, at least at my local Winco.

( http://www.indulgentfoods.com/ )

I don't know about possible cc issues with them, although I have sent an inquiry through their website, and will post when I hear back. I am not a super-sensitive Celiac so the fact that I haven't had a problem with it probably is not a good benchmark for others to follow.

Guittard also makes a "Drinking Chocolate" but it's fairly spendy and I've never seen it in the store. It can be ordered on their website:

( http://guittard-online.stores.yahoo.net/bakingproducts.html )

According to the FAQ at guittard.com, they do not produce any gluten-containing products in their factory. I bought some of their butterscotch chips at the store the other day. They've got a to-die-for-looking butterscotch brownie recipe on their website that I'm going to try using rice flour as a substitute.

I avoid Nestle for reasons of conscience anyway, so I've been on the lookout for alternative-hot-cocoa-mixes for a long time. :)

-Elizabeth

Nestle and their other company Wonka candy will disclose any gluten in their products. All you have to do to determine if it's gluten free is read the label. :)

Then why change the label ?

From a legal standpoint, if they do not label the package "gluten free" they don't have to make it that way, be consistent from batch to batch, nor do they have to guarantee that the item is that way.

It says the consumer must take the initiative to contact them repeatedly, and then rely on verbal confirmation that the item has not hidden anything in the ingredients.

So I was thinking ok I'm gonna check my nestle box it says made in same equipment with wheat processed foods

So I was thinking ok I'm gonna check my nestle box it says made in same equipment with wheat processed foods

Please notice that this thread is over 3 years old. Products can change in that time. Always read the package for the most up-to-date ingredients.