16 replies to this topic

#1 givenupgluten

givenupgluten

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:40 AM

My mom and I want to take a cruise (we have never taken one before) and we are both celiacs - Has anyone had a really great vaca on any of the cruise lines while being gluten free? Thanks in advance for any recommendations! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:46 AM

My mom and I want to take a cruise (we have never taken one before) and we are both celiacs - Has anyone had a really great vaca on any of the cruise lines while being gluten free? Thanks in advance for any recommendations! :)

http://www.bobandruths.com/aboutus.htm

This might be an old site, but bob and ruths.com arranges for gluten free travel, including gluten free cruises, around the world. It's a great place to start.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:40 AM

I've never heard of a bad experience with Disney Cruise Lines. You might check with them. I understand they are quite dedicated to this.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#4 Sailing Girl

Sailing Girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

I second the vote for Disney Cruise Lines. DD and I have been on three Disney cruises so far (another planned for this summer), and they've been amazing.

If you've been following the other recent thread on Disney World, you can tell I'm a big fan of Disney -- but the truth is, they do an *incredible* job of feeding us great gluten-free food, both in the parks and on the ships.

#5 givenupgluten

givenupgluten

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:29 AM

I second the vote for Disney Cruise Lines. DD and I have been on three Disney cruises so far (another planned for this summer), and they've been amazing.

If you've been following the other recent thread on Disney World, you can tell I'm a big fan of Disney -- but the truth is, they do an *incredible* job of feeding us great gluten-free food, both in the parks and on the ships.

Thank for the help everyone! My mom had mentioned Disney cruise lines, and I hear they have great service and as everyone said 'are good with the gluten free thing', which is wonderful! Do they have different types of cruises..my mom and I are looking for a very relaxing experience, and I wonder if we will feel out of place if there are lots of families and kids around (no offense families with children!) I just want to make sure we are comfortable and don't stick out like a sore thumb...and are able to also get in some relaxation time :)

#6 Chicklet

Chicklet

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

I cruised with Royal Caribbean, it was fine and they even brought me gluten free bread with my supper.
Marie in Canada
Gluten sensitive discovered by diet change,April 2006.

#7 rmmadden

rmmadden

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:14 AM

I went on an Alaskan Cruise aboard Norweigan......They sent me a list of gluten-free foods prior to departure and let me pick what items I wanted to have aboard (English Muffins / Pasta / Crackers, etc.). Then, I had a meeting the first night with the Maitre'd who reviewed the menu with me and discussed what items the Chefs could present as gluten-free. They even made me a gluten-free, flourless Chocolate dessert (Which was amazingly rich!).

Each night at dinner I was able to review the menu for the following night and pre-order my meal (Same went for B-fast).

Needless to say it was most reassuring that these people took me seriously and were watching-out for my best interests. I made a point of writing a thank-you note and tipping the Maitre'd for his consideration and, I definitely recommend Norweigan to anyone thinking about a cruise.

Cleveland Bob B)
"Dreams Are What The Future Is Made Of"

Endoscopy & Blood Work Positive.....
gluten-free Since December 2004.....
Soy Intolerant August 2007......

#8 nothungry

nothungry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:12 PM

To those of you who have cruised with Royal Caribbean and Alaskan Cruiselines, I have a few questions (I am trying to plan a cruise myself). Did you have to eat in the main dining room each meal, or were you able to eat at other restaurants on the ship? Also, did they seem to have knowledge of cross contamination ? Did you eat off of a buffet or was food custom prepared by the chef? Thanks for any info!

#9 Jackie78

Jackie78

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

I had a great experience cruising with Carnival. They take your dinner order the night before. They can make most of the items on the menu gluten free. They have gluten free pasta, bread and even dessert!

#10 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

Anyone have a bad cruise experience? My husband's company is planning a cruise for next year, and I'm wondering which companies to recommend they avoid.
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#11 dlp252

dlp252

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

I haven't had a bad experience, but I can add that I've had a good experience on Princess lines. I've sailed twice since knowing about my gluten intolerance, and they've been very good each time. Before the cruise I fax them a letter with my request for gluten free diet, and when I get on board, see the maitr'd the first day. Like another poster said, they'll go over the next day's menu with you and can make just about anything gluten free. THey even had pasta for me last time. It is MUCH easier if you eat in the traditional dining room with set seating and wait staff, but I've always had what Princess calls "Anytime Dining" and have been well taken care of. The buffet is risky, but if you befriend one of the staff there, they can point out what you should avoid, as happened on one of my cruises, so I was able to eat at the buffet with my friend who REALLY LOVES buffets, lol.

I haven't sailed Disney yet, but very much want to. The Travel Channel has a 1 hour show on the Disney line, and it looks like a great experience. The Disney folks are very knowledgeable about food allergies and Celiac.

#12 curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:04 PM

We were on Celebrity over xmas and they were great. They even made me gluten-free gravy for my chirstams dinner. Their gluten-free bread was some of the best I've ever had :)

#13 kim:)

kim:)

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:00 AM

Hi!

Sorry this is late...but yes I have had AMAZING times on a cruise being gluten-free. I went on the Royal Caribbean cruise and had a blast! I had called ahead so the chef/waiters already knew about my situation and so litteraly when we first checked on the ship they took me around and told me what all will be gluten free everyday and ALL the different choices I could have for all meals! It was great! I had a great time and got all the food I wanted and never got sick once, and I am really sensitive. So I only wish the best for you and your mom because Im sure you will have an amazing time! Enjoy! No need to worry about food..it just may help to call ahead :)
[color="#9932CC"]Kim:)

#14 FreeTime

FreeTime

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

Disney Cruise is great for all kinds of families with and without young kids. The adult area is great we really enjoyed it. The adult area on Castaway Cay looks fantastic (we haven't been able to go because of having kids with us).

My daughter was able to get anything she wanted to eat. She would have to order her food for the next day the night before. They made her pancakes, brought out rolls, chocolate cake, had lots or premade brownies available, steak, breaded chicken, pasta, pizza, fries, etc.!

#15 Tica

Tica

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:05 PM

Disney is definitely teh way to go, but have heard that Carnival Cruise line have been very helpfull too.
We just came back from a trip to Disney World and let me tell you that it was the best vacation (finding food-wise) since my daughter was diagnosed back in June. EVERY manager in every food place was aware of gluten free food preparation and items on their menu. They made my daughter freshly made gluten-free chicken tenders, gluten-free "Mickey" waffles, oven baked fries, etc. I contacted the food and services people from Disney ahead of time and htey emailed me lists for every gluten-free item in every park-- IT WAS GREAT!!!!!
They sent me a form to fill out so that they could notifiy the resorts to hae food ready and available.
I always loved Disney-- now I love them more because they made my daughter feel special and not a bother when it came to finding food/restaurants. :D
Tica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: