Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Is Celiac Disease Sex-linked? Dominant Or Recessive?

3 posts in this topic

I'm doing a biology project on genetic disorders on celiac disease and I need to know if it is sex linked, dominant, or recessive. Thank you.

Ads by Google:
I'm doing a biology project on genetic disorders on celiac disease and I need to know if it is sex linked, dominant, or recessive. Thank you.

Hi Briana,

Most of the online articles say that celiac disease is more common in women than in men. This is certainly the case with many other autoimmune diseases, such as lupus or Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

The genetics of celiac disease are rather complicated, and I don't think you can explain things as being merely dominant or recessive. I don't know enough about to give you an answer on that part.

JoAnn

Celiac is not sex linked. One reason for more women having it would be childbirth. Celiac requires a trigger and for many women childbirth will bring it on. It is also neither dominant or recessive it is more of a genetic difference than a defect. I believe it is more of a haplogroup rather than a genetic mutation.

Your best way to get accurate research would be to enter Celiac and genes into a search engine and then look for .org, .gov and .edu in the results.