6 replies to this topic

#1 Fonda

Fonda

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:09 AM

My stomach has been burning for over a year. My family Dr. said it was IBS or GERD. I finally saw a gastro Dr. recently and had a colonoscopy, stomach scope, CT scan, and bloodwork done. I do know that I have IBS for sure. I have not had the celiac blood test done yet, but the Dr. said it looked like I might have celiac from the scope. But he didn't really know. I have tried carafate, protonix, nexium, levbid, zantac and nothing stops the burning in my stomach. I have read and looked on the internet but all I can find about stomach burning is GERD. My burning is in the pit of my stomach like it is on fire and I can't get it put out. It is not up high like GERD. I have been on the gluten free diet for a few days so I can't really tell if that is it yet or not. Although, it seems like things with caramel coloring make my stomach bunr worse. so celaic may be what I have. Does anyone else's stomach burn like mine does?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:52 PM

I get mild to severe pain in my upper abdominal region (just about where the stomach is). I have been gluten free for a year and this symtom just started about 3 months ago. My GI doc says I have IBS (in addition to celiac) which causes pain in that area. However, I am also being tested for diabetes and pancreatic insufficiency (pancreatitis) which can also cause pain in that aera.
I am currently having other symptoms in addition to that pain though.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#3 debmidge

debmidge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:39 AM

Is a stomach scope the same as an endoscopy? Have they checked you for an ulcer in the small intestine, where villi are also inspected?
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#4 Fonda

Fonda

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:15 AM

Yes, an endoscopy. And, yes the Dr. said it looked to be a little irritated or whatever. He wasn't sure this was what it was though. But on the celiac diet, my stomach doesn't seem to burn as bad. Can you tell if some things bother you almost immediately after you eat them? What are your sypmtoms when you know you've eaten gluten?

#5 lambchop

lambchop

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:45 AM

I'm new to this list and have never posted - just lerking and learning what I can. Been dealing with Celiac for 3 years now and only diagnosed in November 04. I know exactly how you feel, this is what I feel when exposed, but what does help me with the burning stomach is to take L-Glutamine powder, one scoop in the morning and one scoop at night - mixed in any liquid drink. This helps to coat and heal the stomach and helps to seal up the fissures that might be present to allow gastric content to leak out. Then I also take Quercitin (buy at health food store) and take one pill 3 times a day. This is herbal and helps your body deal with the reaction to gluten that is going on. Takes a few days, but has always calmed my stomach down to either a more tolerable level or makes the pain go away completely.

I had a recent flare up this week where the pain was unbelievable, worst outbreak I've had in a month or so. Started the L-Glutamine and Quercitin on Tuesday and the pain is gone today. Although L-Glutamine sounds like gluten, it isn't, my doctor prescribed it - but you can buy it at health food stores, the pharmacy OTC or on line. A little pricey, but well worth it for me to keep on hand.

Hope this works for you like it does me.

Leslie

#6 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:20 PM

Celiac can cause the burning that you are having. Once you get off gluten your symptoms will get less and less if it is a celiac problem. Considering it is getting better when you are off gluten I would suspect that the more you are off of gluten the better it will get. If I accidentally have gluten I get pain in my stomach on and off for like 2 weeks. I would try taking enzymes with your food. This may help to minimize your pain after eating. Also probiotics are good too. I take these supplements and more and they have definately helped. If I can help you let me know :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#7 Fonda

Fonda

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for all the input. Since I am new to this diet, I am learning a lot from this forum.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: