- - - - -

Scd Support Group

• Please log in to reply

262 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:21 AM

Hi ~ I was reading the thread about a WW support group that is starting, and thought maybe there were some members out there that are on the SCD diet that would like a support group as well! I am starting today!! I am committing myself to a year on the diet, and hopefully will find new health and energy. IF anyone is interested, please let me know! We can decide what we want to post, etc. when we know if there is any interest. Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dbuhl79

dbuhl79

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:52 AM

What specifically is the SCD Diet?
Positive Dietary Challenge, firmly believing gluten-free is the way to be!
gluten-free since Nov. 18, 2004.

Always learning along with the rest of everyone else... a never ending process.
Dana :)

#3 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:03 AM

You can get all the information at the link below:

http://www.breakingt...ciouscycle.info

I have been following it for a week now, and feel much better already. My swelling has gone down, and I just feel better. :) Let me know what you think!

#4 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:23 AM

I'm also on the SCD. Technically I've been on it for 4 months... but I've had to start over a couple times. I'm really getting irritated with it actually. But, hopefully I am healing.

#5 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:26 AM

I started the week before Easter. I would LOVE to dive into candy, chocolate, mashed potatoes, french fries, etc. I could go on and on! BUT, I do feel like it is working... I feel better and I keep thinking, "A year is worth it if I heal..." So, how are you feeling? What is irritating you?? It is nice to speak with someone else on the program. :)

#6 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 05:20 PM

I started in the beginning of January, but I decided to skip the Intro since I wasn't feeling sick (I'm just interested in the healing aspect of the diet). About 3 weeks into it, I got sick. So, I started over again and did the Intro for 2 days. Again, I went for like 3-4 weeks, but I went too fast towards the end and got sick. So, I did the Intro for like a week (I was much worse off then than when I started), and I've been on this run of the diet for 4-5 weeks. Currently, I've only progressed to eating well-cooked apples, pears, zucchini, squash, and carrots. I'll probably try some peanut butter tomorrow. Also, I seem to have either recently developed or recently become aware of a sensitivity to eggs. I'm still not positive, but it appears that way. So, at this point, I couldn't quit the diet even if I seriously wanted to because I still wouldn't be able to go back to a normal gluten-free diet. I definitely feel worse now than when I started, but hopefully it's a sign that I'm healing (?).. I feel bloated quite often... not real bad... but enough to be annoying. I'm also feeling pretty weak. I hope things get better real fast.

#7 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:17 AM

When I first started I was getting really sick to my stomach. I just figured it was "cleaning" out. Now I have stabilized and feel good. I eat veggies, fruit, juice, meat and eggs. You may want to introduce some meat to keep up your strength and iron. Hang in there!! :)

#8 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:43 AM

Oh, yeah! By no means did I mean that that was all I was eating. I eat at least 1 hamburger a day, haha. I mix up the ground beef with some cooked carrots... they're pretty good that way. I also eat legal canned tuna. I'm not sure whether or not I'm sensitive to eggs... but lately it seems that way, so I'm just going to stay away. I just consumed some almond butter, so hopefully that'll go well. I'm ready to start baking! B)

#9 shimma

shimma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:10 AM

I'm going to start the diet this weekend. I know it will be hard, but I've been through so many allergy elimination diets, and of course the gluten-free diet itself is hard to get used to. I know the main thing that I'll need to be careful about is to always have food around - because when I get hungry, the urge to cheat is unbearable.

I was reading through Break the Vicious Cycle last night, and the chapter on Celiac disease contained some really interesting information. I don't have the book with me, so I can't quote it, but the paragraph about how people with chronic diarrhea inevitably have small intestine damage struck me especially. My initial blood test for Celiac was at the high-end of normal, so I had a biopsy done as well. The biopsy showed extensive damage, so I was diagnosed with celiac disease. A year later, having been on a strict gluten-free diet, my blood work was the same. I asked my doctor if it was possible that the biopsy showed damage from something else - he said yes, and named some things like bacterial overgrowth, but said I seemed to be a classic Celiac case - thin, etc. I guess you could say that I'm still not convinced that I have celiac disease! I don't know of anyone in my family who has it (although they could be undiagnosed).

Hopefully following SCD will make me healthy again....I haven't gained back a pound in the two years I've been gluten-free.

#10 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:51 AM

Good luck Shimma. There is a misconception that all celiac disease patients are thin. I react to gluten the opposite way... I swell up and gain weight -> lots of it!! So, for me, a gluten free diet = loss of weight. I have found, reading this board, that there are no two celiacs alike! Ha! Everyone is so different in how they react, etc.
I am making some homemade mayonnaise today ~ first time experience. I am hoping that it will widen my variety of food to eat. I also want to order the yogurt maker ~ anyone try that yet??? I am curious how easy it is to make, etc.

#11 shimma

shimma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:04 AM

My mother-in-law had a yogurt maker leftover from the 70's, so I've been using that. It makes five 6-oz cups. I tried making yogurt in the oven before, but it didn't turn out well - I don't think my oven can be set to a low enough temperature.

I started the diet on Monday after a weekend of food prep. I did the intro diet only for a day, which I'm starting to think was a mistake. Monday and Tuesday I felt good, but yesterday and today I've been sick in the morning. Or maybe this is normal - my body cleaning itself out? I'm not sure if I should go back to the intro diet for a few days and see. It's just that I had something like five eggs on Monday, and by the time Tuesday morning came around, I couldn't stand the thought of having eggs for breakfast, so I tried some of the muffins I had baked.

Any thoughts? I don't know what to expect on this diet....

#12 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:39 AM

What did you make the muffins out of? I just discovered a few weeks ago, after being on the SCD for several weeks that I'm sensitive to eggs. I don't know if it's something that developed (since I was eating so many eggs on the diet) or if it just became more apparent. I make yogurt ever 1 1/2-2 weeks. I just add a little liquid Sweet N Low and some SCD-legal vanilla... it's good stuff! :D

#13 shimma

shimma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:53 PM

The muffins were straight out of Breaking the Vicious Cycle. Very simple, just ground almonds, eggs, melted butter, honey, baking soda, and salt. They're surprisingly good (although a little chunky, as I didn't grind my almonds enough!)

I felt better today than yesterday, so I'm keeping my hopes up. I hope I'm not egg-sensitive, because it's one of the few things that appeals to my appetite right now (jello got old really fast!)

#14 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:46 PM

Woah. You're moving WAY too fast. You should slowly reintroduce well-cooked, deseeded, peeled fruits and veggies. Then, nut butters. Then, nut flours. Then, raw peeled fruits and veggies. Then, raw fruits and veggies. This is the general guideline. If you go to www.pecanbread.com and click on Food Preparation... there is a table you can kind of work with. This is like week 7 for me and I'm still not on nut flour yet. You have to take it slow (the purpose of the diet is to allow time to heal) and really pay attention to how you react. Try keeping a food journal.

#15 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:33 AM

I have been on the SCD for 6 weeks now... I just made my first cookies last night out of almond flour ~ they were awesome!!!

Yes, take it slow. Your body will take a while to "clean out." I think that is normal. I didn't have a normal experience in the bathroom for the first couple of weeks. Very awkward at work!! :( Anyway, take it slow.

Right now I eat eggs, grilled meat, fruit and cheese. I also made those ginger cookies. IF you want the recipe let me know. I found it in a SCD cookbook that I ordered. They are very easy and yummy.

I am still waiting to order the yogurt maker so I can add to my diet. So many of the recipes call for homemade yogurt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: