This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Scd Support Group

Guest gfinnebraska

shimma Apprentice

I think he's mainly wary because I'm trying to follow this diet to the letter without much "real" evidence that it's effective or healthy. Of course, all I have to go on is the book and the testimony of people who follow it. He seems to think it's like a cult or something - like I've been brainwashed into following the SCD! But it's not my fault that there isn't enough documented research done to figure out why I haven't healed yet. But enough about that argument....it's MY body and I'll do what I can to get healthy again.

My digestive system is still a little off from the sundae, but getting slowly better. Thanks for all your support guys - it's nice to have people who understand what I'm going through on a daily basis. And to be honest, I don't mind the diet most of the time. The only thing I really miss often is cereal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Misa Rookie

Today, I'm feeling really bad overall. I might have caught the flu, but read that the SCD can cause some die-off from yeast, bacteria and pathogens. I used to have a huge candida issue and the headache, neck-pain and aching joints resemble this. Hope it soon passes as my head is about to explode :o with pain.

Noticed yet another positive change on the SCD. For the first time in my 32 years.....I FEEL FULL!!! and it lasts for many hours. Usually, I was thinking of what to eat for my next meal while I was eating the current meal. This is so good to not be paranoid about always wondering if I've got enough food supply to last me the day.

Also I'm getting positive comments on how well I'm looking from friends (haven't told them about the diet as they generally aren't interested....it kind of reminds them of how bad they are eating :unsure: and I don't wanto be responsible for making them feel guilty). I love wearing my "skinny clothes" now. Used to not be happy with what I saw in the mirror; dark under-eye circles, dull eyes and grey skin colour. All is changing for the better, a non-surgical face lift :D

Are you guys noticing similar things???

I tried the carrot cake with almond flour, raisins, honey, walnuts, cinnamon, vanilla, butter and carrots. It tasted fantastic! I do think the honey affected my blood sugar, so I'll have to keep this for an occasional treat.

Take care, Misa :)

Guest gfinnebraska

Is that carrot cake recipe in the book?? If not, can you post it? If so, I will need to look that up and bake! Sounds really good!! :)

I'm glad you are enjoying the results of your labor and hard work!! Way to go!!

It is SO hard for people to understand... it is also funny when they ask, "What are you doing to lose weight??!!??" Ha! I tell people that it is an eating program for Celiacs. I truly do not believe this would work on a non-celiac, but who know??!!

Hang in there!! :) Hope your headache is gone soon...

Heather22 Rookie

I have a question for anyone who is willing to admit to this. This morning I went to the bathroom and had a small amount of blood in my stool. Yesterday I tried eating whole nuts, so I am thinking they may have scraped my bowels. Has any one else experienced this when introducing foods? Or, should I be worried?

Heather

Misa Rookie

Hiya Kimberly. I caught some kind of influenza, and thankfully I'm already feeling better :D

The carrot cake recipe is from the book, a 1998 edition from the library. I made it with less amount of honey and going to use even less next time (blood sugar issues) and still think it will taste delicious. I'm posting the recipe for all to see ;)

PS. I think the measurements are different in the US. Hope you manage to work them out.

CARROTCAKE

3 1/2 dl flour from 200 grams almonds (foodprocessor)

4 dl finely shredded carrots

2 dl honey

1 1/4 dl raisins

1 1/4 dl walnuts

1 teespoon baking soda

1 1/4 dl soft butter

2 eggs

1 teespoon cinnamon

a pinch of salt

1 teespoon vanilla without sugar, or seeds from half a vanilla stick

Mix honey, eggs and butter.

Mix in nutflour, soda, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla.

Add the carrots, raisins and walnuts.

Pour into 1 liter lined cake tinn at 180 deegrees for 45 - 60 minutes on the lowest shelf.

Hi Heather. Before, I used to get inflammation pain in colon whenever eating nuts. On the SCD, I've tried peanuts (chewed them well) and the above carrot/nut cake without any colon pain at all. Maybe it's because I grained the nuts to flour???? If you cut out the nuts immediately and don't see any more blood the next days, then perhaps it was the sharp nutends.....

Misa :)

Guest gfinnebraska

Thanks for the recipe!! :) Sounds SO yummy!!! :)

All I need is the carrots... At least I know those are gluten-free! :)

Thanks again ~

Misa Rookie

PreOptMegs: I see you make yoghurt. I'm seriously considering getting a maker. But as I haveto order one from the UK and then buy an electrical adaptor, I wanto make sure I have the right starter in our grocery store. I am wondering if I can use any type of unsweetened natural yoghurt??? I understand that it mustn't contain any bifidus bacteria as this is bad on the SCD.....

Kimerberly: have you got a yoghurt maker yet? Seems it's almost a must as many of the dessert recipes include it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

okay ladies... i got the book, read it, still have a question or two. my reason for tryng the SCD would be b/c of lingering fatigue, fibro symptoms. i do not get D. so, since i have no D, could i just begin the diet from day 1 or do i need to still start in the certain order? and are all of you planning on holding to the diet for 1 year, then reintroducing foods? i'm not sure about the yogurt, as i'm cf right now. it seems it would be really difficult to do w/o the yogurt. thoughts?

shimma Apprentice

Heather - I've had that happen once or twice. I would say just watch to be sure you're not bleeding often because that can't be healthy. The color can give you an indication of where the bleeding is happening - if it's bright red, it's lower down; if it's dark in color, it's happening higher up. I would be more worried about bleeding higher up because I think it's more common to bleed down low (especially if you're going often or straining).

Jen - I think the diet is worthwhile even without the yogurt. It seems to just generally be easier on your system.

I'm just frustrated with trying to maintain this diet away from home - I'm on a business trip and I ate something at a restaurant yesterday that must have had gluten. Having a terrible time.....

jenvan Collaborator

Heather-I forgot I was going to respond to your question too. I had hemmoroids for years and got bleeding fairly often, sometimes with quite a bit of blood. As shimma suggested, the blood was bright red for me...it could be that or fissures perhaps. (Sorry for the grossness :) But since going gluten-free my C has gone away, and no more bleeding...

Misa Rookie

Hi Jen

I didn't have chronic D either when starting, so I skipped the intro and just chose what I liked from the legal list. Even ate peanuts within days (not supposed to eat until six months) and have had no inflammation pain from any of the foods. Used to have on a daily basis previously.... However, there is one thing I follow from the beginners advice and that is cooking vegetables and fruit, breaking up the fiber. This is so it doesn't feed the bacteria in the lower intestines. If I'd had any adverse reactions in the beginning, I'd definitely gone back and started on the intro.

If you crave sweet things....like me :rolleyes: .....you absolutely have a wider recipe choice with the yoghurt. But it isn't necessary for the diet on a whole.

I'm hoping to stay with this diet for the year, then slowly introduce other foods again.

I've got the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome diagnoses and hoping that the diet will also heal the rest of me somewhat too ;)

Guest gfinnebraska

Jen & Misa: I don't have a yoghurt maker ~ haven't found the time yet to get one! I don't miss the sweets yet... I did buy some almond flour and have made ginger cookies with it. :)

I didn't have D at first, but when starting from phase 1 ~ I developed D for a while. I think the first stage is necessary because I know, for me, it really cleaned me out.

Also, Jen, I could not touch dairy when starting the diet. THEN, around the first month, I started to be able to eat cheese. :) Yeah!!! That was when I knew the diet was working. Now I eat cheese all the time with no ill effects. :lol:

I do plan on staying on it for the year. Mine will be up around March 20th. Seems like a long time from now, but I feel that it is worth it. Do I NEVER cheat??? No... wish I could say yes, but life happens!! I have been in situations where I have to eat something or starve. I go RIGHT back on the diet and usually suffer some D for a day or two. Plus I feel really icky and nauseous when I do go off of it at all.

I am hoping that it isn't too bad after the year is over.

Any more questions?? :) Hope I answered them all... glad to have you joining our little group!! :rolleyes:

PreOptMegs Explorer

gfinnebraska--- this has nothing to do with SCD, but I couldn't help notice your picture. Is that your son at Creighton wanting to be an MD? Just had to mention how cute he was.... also, I don't know if I mentioned this but I did awesome on my Optometry test and will be entering Optometry school next year most likely at UMSL (MIssouri- St. Louis)... lol

Guest gfinnebraska

PreOptMegs: Sorry!! Nope, my son, by me, is a freshman this year at UNO. He is going into chemistry ~ either teaching or pharmacy. He is only 18... NOW, my son that is premed is JUST as cute!! :) I just don't have a pic of him on my computer... will have to change that! Ha! He is shorter ~ 6', blue eyes, brownish hair... VERY cute, smart and nice. :) GOOD young man... no bad habits and never misses church on Sunday. What more could you ask for?? :)

Guest gfinnebraska

P.S. Congrats on your test!!!!! :D:D:D

Good luck in St. Louis!!!

shimma Apprentice

I need some advice!

Last week I was at a week-long training seminar for my work. I think it was a combination of possibly eating gluten at a restaurant and too much sugar/starch, but I was dreadfully sick the whole time. I started the SCD right back up as soon as I got home, but I'm still having terrible D and gurgles and so forth. I couldn't see any way to maintain the diet while I was away - it was hard enough making sure my food was gluten-free!

I have another week-long deal in September, and I don't know how I'll be able to maintain the SC diet while I'm away that long. This past time, I brought some peanut butter muffins with me, but they were moldy before the end of my trip and I had to toss them. No fridge! I won't have a fridge on this upcoming trip either. I don't know what I can bring that will a) be SCD legal and B) last the whole time.

Any ideas? I do NOT want to go through this recovery again....

jenvan Collaborator

shimma- what about bringing a small cooler with you and keep filling it up with ice from the hotel, assuming you're in a hotel.... ? it is annoying to keep filling it up, but i've done that on trips before.

ladies--i am getting closer and closer to the diet...as i keep getting more and more fed up with not feeling better yet. my dh thinks i should wait a full year for improvement before trying scd. i'm not sure... anywho-where do you buy a yogurt maker? as Misa--i crave the sweet things!

Misa Rookie

Jen, if you can't find one in the electrical stores, here's a website/company in the US I stumbled across while searching for a maker in Europe: Open Original Shared Link Their telephone no can be found in "Contact Us, Digestive Diet Inc." section.

Shimma, because of special circumstances I had to eat non SCD food twice last week! The first time I was in unbelieveable pain and got D, but the second time I took three broad spectrum digestive enzymes (which breaks down food whilst in the stomach, leaving less undigested yummies for the bacteria in the lower intestines) with the food and this helped tremendously.....no D and little pain.

How about popping into a near-by grocery store for pre-packed plain salads and then you add lots of pieces of cheddar cheese and ham to fill you up. Snack on salted peanuts in an airtight bag as these will not get mouldy. I know vegetables are supposed to be cooked and nuts be raw (no oil or salt), but this is kind of difficult away from home. I'm thinking as long as you stay away from the obvious no-no starches. I also bring a small can of unsweetened pineapple chunks and a fork for snacks, the ones you can just pull open. Pineapple has lots of natural enzymes so is good for digestion.

PreOptMegs Explorer

I just happened to be skimming the book yesterday and I read that it was lega to eat canned tuna? Starkist tuna has vegetable broth in it which contains soy, and for some reason I thought it was NOT gluten free, much less legal on SCD?

shimma Apprentice

I don't know about canned tuna - always made me nauseated it when I was a kid and I haven't touched it since.

Misa, what digestive enzymes do you use and where do you get them? Also, where did you find SCD ham? Most of the cured meats I've seen use sugar (although I did find a low-salt bacon brand that didn't have sugar).

Jen, the cooler idea is good. I hope taking it on a plane won't be a problem.

jenvan Collaborator

shimma- i would think it would be okay on a plane. i am actually looking for a new travel cooler for myself too. there are "soft-sided" ones too now that are collapsable, and look more like a big insulated lunch bag, which might make it easier...

so ladies--i should probably just make a list of questions before starting out but here are a few... are there any prepackaged foods you can eat on scd? do you do canned beans, sugar-free applesauce prepackaged, any of that ? i hope to have a lot of my ?s answered before, so when i start i don't get frustrated and screw up :) found any other informative websites, besides the main bvc site and the pecan bread one?

Guest gfinnebraska

I use the tuna in bags... I will check it this afternoon for ingred., but I thought the only ingred. added was water. I am sure it is gluten-free though.

Jen: I don't eat anything prepackaged. I usually bring fruit and cheese if I need a snack on the run. I also bring fruit juice to drink for a pick-me-up.

Misa Rookie

Shimma, I live in Scandinavia so order my enzymes from Biocare in the UK. But I've been looking for a line with higher amounts per capsule and have recently ordered from Houston Nutraceuticals Inc. in the US. It's the one which made the best impression so far. Here's a link to an informative site about enzymes in case you wish to read up on them: Open Original Shared Link

Jen According to SCD guidelines, I can't think of any pre-packed food allowed. Most contain modified starch or sugar of some sort. But must admit, for me to be able find the willpower to continue this diet, I so far let myself eat salted peanuts, sandwich turkey slices (fold it around a piece of cheddar cheese as a snack) and ready made tomatoe sauces (starch-free one). The diet really means going back to basics.....Must add this still is the best diet health and digestive-wise yet. My system doesn't feel icky and messed up...if that makes any sense :huh:

Misa Rookie

Shimma Forgot to mention that Elaine G. has this to say about enzymes: "Eating something illegal on SCD and taking supplementary enzymes to justify doing this is not recommended and will destroy the efficacy of the diet."

But with a diet this limited (more so than gluten-free) then I know for me, there are going to be times when it's impossible to follow (although I do my outmost to choose according to SCD). Taking digestive enzymes with me to these occasions will help me at least with the after ill-effects.

shimma Apprentice

Jen - I've had the most SCD food success with Trader Joes. I think there's one in Indiana - do you go often? They sell a few varieties of dried fruit that don't have added sugar - I usually get the dried mangoes (there are two types, unsweetened and sweetened), unsulfured apricots, and non-sorbate prunes. Unfortunately right now I'm off dried fruit, as it seems to irritate my system. Hopefully you'll have better luck because it's great for snacks and very portable.

Trader's also has tons of nuts - any kind you like - and natural peanut butter. Their peanut butter just got a new label and it says "Made on equipment shared with soy. Facility processes wheat, egg, and tree nuts." I'm really torn on whether to keep eating it - on the one hand, if the equipment is gluten-free, that's probably ok - on the other hand, maybe I should be more careful. My other thought is that other brands of peanut butter are probably the same, but they may not disclose it on the label. So, who knows.....

My last Trader Joe's plug is that they have the cheapest honey around - 3 lb for $6.99. You can't beat it!

I don't do any beans yet - haven't gotten to that stage in the diet.

For great recipes, check out scdrecipe.com. That site in addition to the ones you mentioned are the ones I go to most frequently.

Misa - thanks for the thoughts on digestive enzymes. I definitely wouldn't use them to routinely cheat on this diet, but I also don't think it's healthy to starve myself when I'm away from home and can't eat properly.

Archived