This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Diary Free/greek Yogurt

Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Does anyone have a good recipe for dairy free yogurt or greek yogurt? I don't have a yogurt maker. What substitutes work best?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

julirama723 Contributor

I know someone on the board (I can't remember who) makes yogurt from coconut milk. I have no idea of the recipe. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will post! :)

DMarie Apprentice

There are a few people on the SCD diet who successfully make Coconut Yogurt. I tried once - but believe I had a bad coconut - it didn't turn out well.

But - here is a link to Ali B's method of making it: https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...52897&st=15

In case the link does not work, it is on page 2 of the Dedicated SCD Recipe thread.

I do not have a yogurt maker, but make yogurt successfully (mine is dairy though - but the method should work with non-dairy as well). I use a crock pot and canning jars. Basically, I fill up the crock pot with warm water (ideal temp is around 105 to 110 degrees). I check with a thermometer. I then plug in the crock pot to a dimmer plug I got at Home Depot for about $12. I set my crockpot to warm. I watched for several hours to see exactly where the dimmer needed to be set to in able to keep the water at the right temperature. I then marked it on the dimmer. I found that crockpots with timers will not work with a dimmer switch. I make my yogurt using a mix of whole milk and half and half, along with Dannon plain yogurt for starter. Also, once I put the jars in the water bath, I wrap my crockpot with towels to also help keep the temp stable.

You might look up information on making nut milk yogurts as a non-dairy alternative. I am posting some information I have on this as well. Here is a link so you can see the picture as well. Open Original Shared Link

ALMOND, FILBERT OR MACADAMIA YOGURT

by Marjan

NUT YOGHURT RECIPE

Ingredients:

1 1/3 cup whole, RAW blanched almonds or RAW blanched hazelnuts (filberts) or RAW macadamias

2 TBL clear honey

Water

Yoghurt starter (ProGurt by GI ProHealth)

Step-by-step instructions for making nut yoghurt:

1. Put all things you need on a tea towel on the kitchen table:

blender, a fine sieve, some tea towels, the nuts, honey, two tablespoons, whisk, water, yoghurt maker + yoghurt container. Get the probiotics out of the freezer only when you need them.

2. Put nuts into blender

3. Add enough cold water to get a total of 4 to 5 cups / =1 litre

4. Add 2 tablespoons of honey

5. Blend for 10 minutes (use a stopwatch)

6. Pour about 1 cup of the nut milk through the fine sieve

(You can squeeze out more liquid if you use a teacloth and twist it firmly.)

NOW take your probiotics out of the freezer

7. Add 1/8 tsp of ProGurt yoghurt starter to the milk, per 1 quart of yogurt.

8. Stir well with whisk, add the rest of the milk, with back of spoon press out all liquids

9. Stir well and place container in yoghurt maker

10. Ferment for 8 hours.

11. Place in the fridge overnight or at least for 5 hours (overnight is better)

12. Get a bowl, put the sieve on the bowl, put a cheesecloth in the sieve

13. Pour the yoghurt in the cheesecloth so that it can drip

14. Drip for about an hour, or longer if you'd like the yoghurt thicker

15. By pressing the dripped yoghurt further, you can make something that resembles cheese

The fermentation process takes place at about 105 Fahrenheit.

As you see, I do NOT cook or heat the milk. After blending, the milk should be lukewarm, not warmer than 105F. If you heat more, the milk will separate and the fermentation will not take place.

Try to find RAW nuts that have been through minimal processing. Deep frying them may be very tasty, but it will negatively affect the outcome and it is also a bit unhealthy.

The sieve is such, that if you pour orange juice through it, there's no pulp in your glass.

This nut yoghurt is a nice and safe alternative when you cannot tolerate goat's or cow's yoghurt (yet). Go for it!

Ginsou Explorer

Turtle Mountain now has the most wonderful dairy and soy free yogurt and ice cream that is made from coconut milk. I'm fortunate enough to live close to Frontier Natural Foods and they carry this product. The yougurt comes plain or several flavors. There have been many recipes that I have wanted to try using yogurt, but because I'm lactose,soy,casein,milk intolerant, have been unable to until recently.

I've been using coconut milk for many recipes.....frosting, ice cream (just bought an ice cream maker), etc. A can of coconut milk (not the lite) or coconut cream has about the same consistency as yogurt, and I think it would be a good substitute in recipes.....I have not tried it yet. I think perhaps it might be a good substitute for sour cream, also. I hope to try to make a coffee cake that uses whole berry cranberry sauce and sour cream as an ingredient. I used to love this coffee cake years ago when I could eat normal food.

SevenWishes Newbie

As noted above, you don't really need a yogurt maker machine to make yogurt. If anything, I subscribe to the Alton Brown school of thought on those machines...they're "uni-taskers," that only do one thing, and take up space and create clutter while you're not using them.

I've made yogurt a few times by simply pouring a carton of milk into a glass bowl and putting some plain yogurt into the milk. I warm the oven slightly, then turn it off, and put the bowl in and let it sit for a few hours. It thickens and a short while later you have yogurt. Mix in some sugar and vanilla, and you're ready to rock. I've never heard of non-dairy yogurt, however, so I can't comment on how that may or may not work with coconut milk, etc.

Archived