This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened By Lay's Sour Cream And Onion

sugarsue

sugarsue Enthusiast

My dd (6) just had gluten diarrhea after eating Lay's Sour Cream & Onion Potato Chips. I see on their website that they are gluten-free. They also have MSG and I was lax in reading the label or I would not have purchased them. But I'm confused about her reaction. It really seemed like gluten D accompanied by stomach pain. Anyone else???

susan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Many members here have said that they react poorly to Frito/Lays products. Only Lays Staxx are producted on dedicated lines and are not subject to possible cross contaimination.

Hope you daughter recovers quickly.

sugarsue Enthusiast
Many members here have said that they react poorly to Frito/Lays products. Only Lays Staxx are producted on dedicated lines and are not subject to possible cross contaimination.

Hope you daughter recovers quickly.

Thanks, that's got to be it. I try to buy Staxx but they are hard to find here and I thought these would be OK. :( Only bright side, she recognized right away what happened and won't eat them again. It is nice when they can see it so clearly even at only age 6!

Lisa Mentor

Sounds like you have a very mature young lady there. ;) Good for her.

GFqueen17 Contributor

I see from your information that both of your daughters are dairy free...and sour cream and onion chips are definately not dairy free...maybe that could be why she reacted badly?

sugarsue Enthusiast
I see from your information that both of your daughters are dairy free...and sour cream and onion chips are definately not dairy free...maybe that could be why she reacted badly?

Well...... I have the hardest time with dairy free since I have trouble finding things this picky eater (my 6 yr old) wants to eat and I tend to give in sometimes with the dairy since we have to be so strict with the gluten. She is not allergic to dairy like my other daughter so I think this makes me a little more lax.

That said, you could be right. I will have to pay more attention to whether any other dairy I may give her causes a reaction. The dairy she sometimes ends up with is Parm Cheese, gluten free pizza at b-day parties and the occasional sour cream and onion chips.

Thanks!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I was overjoyed when I saw the gluten-free list they put out. Until I got sick almost everything I ate them. I won't touch their products any longer. The CC issues are just way to frequent.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast

That's unfortunate. It's certainly more difficult when one has multiple intolerances.

I've recently eaten those sour cream & onion lay's several times with no problems. But I also can eat just about any frito lay product without wheat listed on the label. Never experienced any cross-contamination.

best regards, lm

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

My son also reacts to Lay's products. I will only give him Lay's Staxx. They are hard to find in my area too so when the one store that carries them has them in stock I buy 10 of them.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I can't do the Staxx because of the soy. They just don't like me. I also get sick every time I eat Lay's Classic. I've never gotten sick from Lay's Natural. I can't really tell the difference between the Classic and Natural except the price! The Natural is about $4 a bag.

ChemistMama Contributor

I wouldn't touch anything from Lay's with a 10-foot pole except the Staxx.

They say the products are Gluten Free, but at the bottom is the statement:

"The above products do not contain gluten; however, they are produced on the same line as our products that do contain gluten. Although the lines are washed between batches, a slight residue may remain on the lines. Individuals who are extremely sensitive may be affected. "

No thanks!! Reminds me of the recent Whole Foods chicken nugget debacle.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I was glutened last time I had Lay's Classic, before that no problem. I'm crossing those off my list. Sigh...

angelbender Newbie

I LOVE the Staxx and rely upon them for munchies. Have had no problem with them. Best place to

get them at best price is Walmart in the chip aisle, usally top shelf, only $1.00 as compared to $1.69 at other grocery stores. I find them at the regular Walmart....haven't been to a superWalmart that

has all of the groceries. Also I have never had a problem at all with Fritos and I appear to be VERY

sensitive. Just thought I'd mention them.

• 4 years later...
drchrisbrown Newbie

Had a very typical reaction after eating Lay's Sour Cream and Onion Chips. Just did the EZ-Gluten ELISA test on them, and sure enough, they are positive for gluten. (test threshold is 10ppm). Thanks a lot, Lay's, for not mentioning anything about shared equipment or wheat on the package.

My dd (6) just had gluten diarrhea after eating Lay's Sour Cream & Onion Potato Chips. I see on their website that they are gluten-free. They also have MSG and I was lax in reading the label or I would not have purchased them. But I'm confused about her reaction. It really seemed like gluten D accompanied by stomach pain. Anyone else???

susan

Adalaide Mentor

Had a very typical reaction after eating Lay's Sour Cream and Onion Chips. Just did the EZ-Gluten ELISA test on them, and sure enough, they are positive for gluten. (test threshold is 10ppm). Thanks a lot, Lay's, for not mentioning anything about shared equipment or wheat on the package.

This is why it is vital to research every product or company. Lays has two separate lists of products on their website which is easily found by googling "lays gluten free" and is what I do every time I have a hankering for a chip. This page explains that the gluten free products are tested, while the products not containing gluten ingredients may be run on the same lines and may or may not be subject to CC. This is the link to that page if it helps. Open Original Shared Link

There is no disclosure policy for shared lines and I am willing to bet that if you eat chips you eat other processed foods. You almost certainly eat food all the time that is made on shared lines without incident. It is not fair to demonize a company who makes this information so easily accessible to us when so many more make us jump through nightmarish hoops to find out if a food is safe. They're pretty clear that those chips may contain gluten due to the processing, and they did. I am sorry that you aren't feeling well but it is hardly Lays fault.

Pauliewog Contributor

slightly unrelated, but I recently bought a microwave potato chip maker. It is a silicon tray with holes. You slice the potatoes with the mandoline that comes with it then microwave them on the tray for 4-5 min. Makes surprisingly good chips! You can flavor them as you please. I am always worried about getting sick from manufactured ones. These would be fun for kids to make as well. Just keep them away from the mandoline.

Archived