This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Neurological Problems?

ellora

ellora Newbie

hi i need to chat to someone as doctors in the uk dont listen and havent got a clue. iv got coeliac and DH, my mums also has coeliac and just been diagnosed with MS. I never realised the neurological effects coeliac could have and i have been having problems with my thought patters and things and i was wondering if anyone knows anything. I know theres links with depression but my doctor says not. even though my mum sufffers from depression also. i was an A student at school and as i got older i started to struggle with concentration and its got worse i feel like my mind is slipping away from me. i forget things (i reask questions over again minuits after iv been given the answer and walk out of the house with my cups in hand ect.)and have always been so clumsy that all my teachers and family ect. usd to comment on it. my first word was celetape <(eg. iv just spent half an hour trying to remember how to spell it and cant). im wondering if i have a coordination problem as people also comment on the way i walk. some even say i have a slight limp or dragging of the leg. iv gotton so bad somedays i cant talk and i stop in the middle of things and dont know what im doing. iv heard of legions on the brain with coeliac but i dont know if its related. i have insomnia and really bad dreams when i do sleep. iv always been good at hard work but i was in my last job for seven weeks before i broke down as it was too much. just a shop job but on my last day before i decided to leave i made so many mistakes and i was shaking and felt like my head was exsploding. i dont feel my olds self. i know theres something wrong. i think to everyone else this sounds stupid but to me its scary and i think a doctor will think im mad. thing is though i started a degree four years ago getting top marks and took a years out when i went down hill thinking id get better with rest and didnt and in the end i ended up barely passing. im sorry for the essay i just need help. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

teemaree Apprentice
hi i need to chat to someone as doctors in the uk dont listen and havent got a clue. iv got coeliac and DH, my mums also has coeliac and just been diagnosed with MS. I never realised the neurological effects coeliac could have and i have been having problems with my thought patters and things and i was wondering if anyone knows anything. I know theres links with depression but my doctor says not. even though my mum sufffers from depression also. i was an A student at school and as i got older i started to struggle with concentration and its got worse i feel like my mind is slipping away from me. i forget things (i reask questions over again minuits after iv been given the answer and walk out of the house with my cups in hand ect.)and have always been so clumsy that all my teachers and family ect. usd to comment on it. my first word was celetape <(eg. iv just spent half an hour trying to remember how to spell it and cant). im wondering if i have a coordination problem as people also comment on the way i walk. some even say i have a slight limp or dragging of the leg. iv gotton so bad somedays i cant talk and i stop in the middle of things and dont know what im doing. iv heard of legions on the brain with coeliac but i dont know if its related. i have insomnia and really bad dreams when i do sleep. iv always been good at hard work but i was in my last job for seven weeks before i broke down as it was too much. just a shop job but on my last day before i decided to leave i made so many mistakes and i was shaking and felt like my head was exsploding. i dont feel my olds self. i know theres something wrong. i think to everyone else this sounds stupid but to me its scary and i think a doctor will think im mad. thing is though i started a degree four years ago getting top marks and took a years out when i went down hill thinking id get better with rest and didnt and in the end i ended up barely passing. im sorry for the essay i just need help. :(

I too would be interested in learning more about this....

It was the servere depression that finaly got the attention of a doctor, who found it very easy to recognise I had celiac...My depression and anxiety were so bad...I couldn't watch the news as it would have me stressing so much and upset. But since going gluten free... I have noticed I am so much better at handling stress. But even just today I had the same experience of bad co-ordination and bad memory blanks at work today... like not remembering simple tasks or remembering the right change to give, and not being able to recall a fellow staff members name... I was trying to dig deep into my memory to pull his name and for the life of me, it wouldn't come to me....

harp1 Apprentice

So glad you posted. I've been really shaky for a long time - have essential tremor, and sometimes unsteady on my feet. I've recently started B12 and magnesium shots and everything is improved. My thinking is clearer and memory is improved, as well as my general attitude. I'm not depressed or anxious. WOW. There's so much research about how the brain is effected by celiac, maybe do a search on this forum for more specific details. Good luck :P

ps have you had your thyroid checked? Big part of the picture too.

caek-is-a-lie Explorer

Gluten gives me non-epileptic seizures, Narcolepsy with Cataplexy (paralysis), depression, anxiety attacks, foggy brain, memory problems, disrupted sleep, moodiness, etc...

Someone posted a great link to Open Original Shared Link here a little while ago and they describe in more detail what can be going on. They even mention antigliadin antibodies can be found in the cerebral spinal fluid of people with gluten-induced neurological problems, even if they don't have classic Celiac villi atrophy or anything. I thought that was really fascinating. Gluten can so profoundly affect people in different ways and yet it still so misunderstood by the medical community.

lbd Rookie

Here is a link to a site listing several articles that you can take to your doctor about neurological manifestations of gluten toxicity:

Open Original Shared Link

For myself, the primary way I respond to gluten is with migraines and brain fog. I teach high school and I thought I was starting to suffer from early Alzheimer's or at least getting old, since I would lose words, forget things, etc. That is all gone now with a gluten free diet! I can't believe how sharp my mind seems again.

Laurie

• 5 months later...
Pattygallegos Newbie

Hi: I hope I can help you a little I have a 10 year old suffering with the same problems, bad memory, she used to walk on her tippy toes and had coordination problems. It when so far that last year in June she has her first seizure it was so strong that I thought she was going to die.

Lately I have realized that most of her problems are in her diet, she used to love popcorn in very way and form. When we start reading the labels of the food we used to eat we saw that most of it is corn in different colors and shapes, even vitamins have corn.

Since then we are more careful with the food we eat and we all feel so good and happy. Think about it. We are what we eat.

Archived