Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Warning! Blue Buffalo Dog Food!

13 posts in this topic

I have seen a lot of ads recently about Blue Buffulo dog and cat food claiming to be "gluten free". I checked their website as I wanted to look into buying their food, looked at the ingredient list as per usual for any celiac, lol! and it is def. NOT gluten free!! There is not a single dog formula that I can find (both dry and wet) that does not contain BARLEY, RYE, RYE Grass! Even oatmeal is thrown in for good measure (not even thinking about cross contamination issues as it is out and out gluteny). There is one cat "grain free" canned product that does not have a gluten ingredient claimed, though).

Being a celiac who is of course trying to avoid cross contamination issues, and having an actual gluten intolerant dog (irish setter/lab mix, verified via endoscopy) as well as a wheat allergic border collie (I'm not even thinking of trying any gluten product on her!) , I find this incredibly dangerous and totally irresponsible labeling by the Blue Buffalo company! I wanted to warn everyone that once again, all is not what it is labeled!

If you have any Blue dog or cat food, please check the label. You can return any unused portions for a full refund according to my local, quality pet supply store which is pulling the product until status is verified and/or marking out "gluten free" on the labels for now and contacting the company itself.

Hope everyone's pets are ok, and please be aware/alert others of this very possible CC issue!

Ads by Google:

Check out:

http://www.dogtorj.com/

This site is very interesting and there is a link on the left side "Dogtor J's Pet Food Handout" with a link to his recommended pet foods. I think they are all free of gluten, dairy, soy, and corn...but I haven't checked since I don't have a dog...yet. I will when I get a dog. Now I just have fish, but recently found out that their food has wheat and soy in it. I am scared to clean the tank now!

DogtorJ has even been seen here from time to time.

Thank you for the website! It is very interesting and informative. I look forward to exploring it. I wish he lived closer to me, lol!

My vet initially thought I was crazy when I told him I thought my dog had food intolerances and I insisted on an endoscopy! Once tested/scoped we found out in addition to eosinophilic gastroenteritis he also had gastroparesis and H pylori (with a giant active ulcer that they had to cauterize) thrown in for good measure, poor pup! He almost had to have his stomach re-sected, but we got him trough his health crisis using antibiotics, a gluten free diet, carafate and PPI's. His other issues were colitis and recurrent anal gland issues. If anyone's dog shows food intolerance issues, I highly suggest that they keep looking for a vet that will take them seriously and insist on testing or doing an elimination trial! I'm really lucky, my current vet even does accupuncture!

Most vets just think allergies and look for skin, hair and ear issues. A gluten or other food intolerant dog is going to have gastric ,possibly growth, and usually anal gland issues. He was pretty much a "classic" case by 6 months of age. I am glad to read more vets are taking on this issue and taking it seriously!

I presume you know about these, but here's a list of the grain free (and hence gluten free) dog kibbles I know of (obviously, I've left raw foods off the list, as most prepared raw foods are gluten-free):

Evo (Natura)

Instinct (Nature's Variety)

Orijen (Champion)

Wellness Core (Old Mother Hubbard)

Taste of the Wild (Diamond)

Go! and Now! (grain free varieties) (Petcurean)

Canidae (grain free varieties)

Barking at the Moon (Solid Gold)

Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets (Dick Van Patten's)

Before Grain (Merrick)

Natural (Nature's Logic)

Addiction (dried raw)

Honest Kitchen (dried raw)

(there are a few other ones, but those are the ones I'm familiar with)

Some of these are also available in cat food. I know Dick van Patten's Natural Balance, Merrick Before Grain, and Wellness Core have cat foods that are grain-free (and therefore gluten-free). I'll check into Taste of the Wild--their cat food is probably gluten-free, but I haven't read the label (and I should have--we sell it). There may be others in this list who make cat food; these are the ones of which I have personal knowledge.

Some of these are also available in cat food. I know Dick van Patten's Natural Balance, Merrick Before Grain, and Wellness Core have cat foods that are grain-free (and therefore gluten-free). I'll check into Taste of the Wild--their cat food is probably gluten-free, but I haven't read the label (and I should have--we sell it). There may be others in this list who make cat food; these are the ones of which I have personal knowledge.

I know the following are available in grain-free cat formulations:

Evo (Natura)

Orijen (Champion)

Before Grain (Merrick)

I have 1 border collie who I highly suspect is gluten intolerant and another whom I suspect has some form of grain allergy. He could not seem to digest any form of kibble and I tried several brands of high quality (The wellness, evo, natural balance etc ) He would still have 4 - 5 puddles a day and the smell. :blink: not to mention the gas. He reminded me of Pig Pen but instead of a cloud of dust surrounding him it was a cloud of fart. I can see why he ended up on the streets before coming to me. LOL It was aweful. But now I avoid the whole gluten free dog food issue by feeding them a raw prey model diet.

They have been on the raw diet for 2 years now and within 2 weeks of starting the diet he was already down to one formed stool per day and the smell and gas quickly went away. (Well except for venison.....venison farts are pretty bad too)

Now that we suspect celiac disease ( are in the process of being tested) I am glad we will not have to worry about CC with the dog food.

I presume you know about these, but here's a list of the grain free (and hence gluten free) dog kibbles I know of (obviously, I've left raw foods off the list, as most prepared raw foods are gluten-free):

Evo (Natura)

Orijen (Champion)

Go! and Now! (grain free varieties) (Petcurean)

Canidae (grain free varieties)

Barking at the Moon (Solid Gold)

Before Grain (Merrick)

Natural (Nature's Logic)

Addiction (dried raw)

(there are a few other ones, but those are the ones I'm familiar with)

are any of these inexpensive? we just got 2 cats from a shelter for the kids but my husband doesn't want to give them an expensive food he's willing to go mid range cause the cheaper brands aren't healthy at all but if anyone knows of a reasonably priced cat food that is gluten-free let me know!

Hi, I just found another one with a pup with food intolerance, leaky gut, etc. Symptoms were very different than my pup, I think we should all be aware!

Go here:

http://lukesgmevictory.blogspot.com/

It's pretty common, really, to find dogs with one intolerance or another. My dog appears to have an issue with dairy (and he's not the only one in his litter with that issue).

UnBELIEVABLE! Check out this response:

" Thanks so much for your interest in BLUE. And thank you for taking the time to write to us. The barley that is used in BLUE was recommended by the holistic vet that helped formulate BLUE, Dr. Robert Goldstein. We use whole barley as opposed to the processed barley that is unfortunately, found in many other pet foods. Whole barley is added to BLUE as a good carbohydrate source for energy, B vitamins and fiber colon health. It is an excellent source of soluble fiber and has been shown to lower cholesterol levels. The whole barley used in BLUE is a quality grain source and minimizes reactions typically associated with corn and wheat.

All grains have a gluten component of the whole grain. When we say gluten free, we mean that we don

I know the following are available in grain-free cat formulations:

Thanks for the list. My kitty has been having bowel issues ever since we got him and it's confirmed not to be parasites. The vet has yet to recommend a food, but my first thought was grain allergy. Seems strange at first until I realized I never see cats eating processed grains in nature. I want to try a gluten-free, possibly grain-free product to see if it helps. When the vet mentioned food sensitivity I just rolled my eyes. figures I'd get that cat! :rolleyes: Maybe he lucked out...at least I know what to do! :P I hope it works.