This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Fondant Gluten Free

jennyj

jennyj Collaborator

My youngest daughter got engaged over the holidays and is planning her wedding. The woman making her cakes is going to make one gluten free for me but is concerned about the fondant. Is it safe for me??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator

is she making her own? I'm pretty sure the Wilton fondant is gluten-free, but you can call to find out for sure. They're always really helpful with me.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
My youngest daughter got engaged over the holidays and is planning her wedding. The woman making her cakes is going to make one gluten free for me but is concerned about the fondant. Is it safe for me??

Thanks in advance for any help.

We do lots of weddings in one of my restaurants. Fondant makes a beautiful wedding cake but guest tend to not eat it as its not very tasty, maybe she can make yours butter cream instead B)

celiac-mommy Collaborator
We do lots of weddings in one of my restaurants. Fondant makes a beautiful wedding cake but guest tend to not eat it as its not very tasty, maybe she can make yours butter cream instead B)

It is totally beautiful, but TOALLY gross to eat. When I make mine, I focus on a really tasty filling, 2 thick layers of buttercream on the outside and let that set up before putting on the fondant. That way there's still a fabulous cake under the icky fondant :P

Jaimepsalm63 Rookie

I used to decorate cakes for a living. Yes Fondant is gluten free. It also is a "learned" thing to eat. I think it's too sweet and can't stand the taste. It also hardens within the hour. I'm a butter cream person myself, but you have to make sure that there is nothing added to the butter cream flavor wise that is a grain based flavoring.

Make sure your friend really understands gluten free. If she is baking the cake in an oven that is convection (has a fan) and normally uses it for "normal" gluten laden cooking....she's going to spread gluten all over your cake. If it is a conventional oven (no fan) there is usually no worry.

Congrats for your family!!

jennyj Collaborator
I used to decorate cakes for a living. Yes Fondant is gluten free. It also is a "learned" thing to eat. I think it's too sweet and can't stand the taste. It also hardens within the hour. I'm a butter cream person myself, but you have to make sure that there is nothing added to the butter cream flavor wise that is a grain based flavoring.

Make sure your friend really understands gluten free. If she is baking the cake in an oven that is convection (has a fan) and normally uses it for "normal" gluten laden cooking....she's going to spread gluten all over your cake. If it is a conventional oven (no fan) there is usually no worry.

Congrats for your family!!

Thanks for the info and the congrats to everyone.

Cherry Tart Apprentice

For safety sake, be sure to check with the manufacturer first before consuming fondant. I did alot of research for a friend who has a bakery regarding fondant. I did discover that the 2 following manufacturers are safe (the 3rd would not comment):

Bakels Fondant

We can confirm that the Modified Food Starch in Pettinice RTR Icing is derived from maize/corn so as such there are no gluten/gliadin problems.

Kind regards

NZ Bakels Ltd

Wendy Sutherland

Secretary

Wilton Rolled Fondant

There is no gluten in the fondant and none in the plant! Wilton Industries - Consumer Care Center, 800-794-5866

Satin Ice

Refused to confirm if their product was gluten free or not.

Honestly, fondant is beautiful but not very tasty. I would opt for a basic whipped or butter cream frosting instead.

Congrats to you and your fam! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFLisa Newbie
Wilton Rolled Fondant

There is no gluten in the fondant and none in the plant! Wilton Industries - Consumer Care Center, 800-794-5866

Slightly OT, but I wonder if their sprinkles are made in the same plant? I think I might have to contact them and find out.

• 2 years later...
rosablu Newbie

Updated information from Wilton

Wilton pastel fondant is little bit risky :(

Thank you for contacting Wilton Brands! In regards to your question, for the Pastel fondant stock number 710-447, there is no gluten in the product but there was gluten in the plant where it was processed. This just means that our lines are cleaned for cross contamination and we let customers know this due to air born allergies. Also, unfortunately we do not have a specific list of gluten free products, but if would like, you may send me a lit of stock numbers to the products you would like to check and I can look through our system for you. I hope this helps and I apologize for any inconvenience. We appreciate your business!

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Jenn

Customer Service Representative

Jpaul@wilton.com

Wilton Brands/Ek Success Brands

800-794-5866

www.wilton.com

www.eksuccessbrands.com

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Can ANYONE suggest a bakery closer to Central PA that has gluten free wedding cakes. A few advertise that they do but when I call they say "oh I've never made one before, what do you mean cross contamination"...and there are some a bit further away but the delivery charge is $400!! I'm about to get some betty crocker yellow cake mix and funfetti icing and call it a day.

this is the ONLY frustrating thing that i've encountered. it's my first and only (it better be!!) wedding and I can't even find a dang cake.

Archived