This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Neurologic Symptoms And Testing

Nichole1

Nichole1 Newbie

Hello,

I have been suffering with neurologic symptoms (muscle twitching, limb jerking, etc) for several years, due to having undiagnosed lyme disease. Additionally, I have noticed that my neurologic symptoms are worse immediately (within minutes) of consuming certain foods, and therefore have given up gluten.

I have never been tested for Celiac disease, and I understand that there are issues with the tests. Since my problem is neurologic in nature, not gastrointestinal, should a blood test be able to detect whether or not I have Celiac?

I would assume that if it's affecting my brain prior to the food even having time to make it to my intestines, and since I don't believe I have gastrointestinal issues from it, it would be detectable in the blood... not in the intestines. Is this a valid assumption or no?

Also, does anyone know if lyme disease can trigger an immune dysfunction like Celiac?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Nichole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Any illness or severe stress can trigger celiac so Lyme could definately do it.

I would go ahead and ask for a celiac panel, you have nothing to lose and it might come back positive. There is no way to tell until you get the panel drawn.

One other test they can do with neuro predominant celiac is an MRI of the brain. Often there will be something called UBOs (unidentified bright objects) that are found in the exam. They are similar to the demylinating lesions that are seen with MS but are not in the same locations. Unfortunately many neurologists in the US are clueless about the diagnostic significance of these bright spots so make sure you see the actual report and the films from the test. In other countries these are diagnostic of celiac but most here don't know it.

RiceGuy Collaborator

In addition to a gluten-free diet, many find dairy, eggs, soy, corn, nut, and other top allergens to give them trouble, especially during the initial stages of healing.

I and many others have found certain supplements to be very beneficial to the brain, including vitamin B12, magnesium, essential fatty acids, zinc, B-complex, vitamin D3, and others. I used to get the symptoms you mention, but it got much worse than that. The supplements have totally resolved these issues.

nora-n Rookie

Lyme is know to trigger something called pseudo-celiac, and there are several postings about that here.

There is even a lyme thread here in the other food intolerance issues folder here.

I do not remember if this pseudo-celiac is mentioned there.

This peudo-celiac is just as bad as celiac, they say, and one must go gluten-free, but the difference is that it should go away after lyme is treated they say. Some here have been able to eat gluten again after treatment.

Often the test results are just slightly positive, with negative biopsies.

Even Lyme MD mentions this in his blog.

maybe all lyme patients should go gluten-free while they are sick, and should try gluten-free at least.

nora

harp1 Apprentice

I have neurological symptoms - peripheral neuropathy in one hand - the B12 and magnesium shots have really helped me - gluten-free,soy free for a long time. I'm overwhelmed by how much knowledge you all have. What great responses - so specific. Amazing. Susan

nikki-uk Enthusiast
I have never been tested for Celiac disease, and I understand that there are issues with the tests. Since my problem is neurologic in nature, not gastrointestinal, should a blood test be able to detect whether or not I have Celiac?

...but worth a try.

If you've got the anti-bodies it could show in the coeliac blood panel..whether your symptoms are gastro or neuro.

After that you could of course just try the gluten-free diet...see if it gives you any relief. Lots of 'Lymies' find it does!

:)

Archived