477 replies to this topic

#31 lizard00

lizard00

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

Initially I was tempted to try new gluten-free things and trust people who really had no clue how to prepare food and was getting glutened every few months or so so I don't think I was fully healing.

That's kind of what I did. Somewhere around the end of Nov I realized that I just cannot trust anyone but my husband or my mom to cook for me. That just because a product says gluten-free on it, doesn't make it safe. And just because a food is naturally gluten free, doesn't make it safe in a restaurant.

In some ways, I am glad that I am sensitive, although there are days when it wears on me. But it makes me very cautious about food, and I think in the long run, it keeps me from doing any further damage, whereas perhaps those less sensitive may be doing damage but not have any symptoms. I don't know whether I'm right on that or not, but it sure does help alleviate some frustration. B)
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:09 PM

Yup, definitely the most common line out there!! I laugh at people when they ask that.

For me it is usually a statement "A little bit can't hurt". I think they are comparing it eating a little bit of chocolate.
Cathy

#33 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:13 PM

I do best when I don't take any "chances" (and by "chances" I mean eating many things that others with Celiac enjoy without problems). It seems almost every time I deviate from this, I get sick. I have to walk the "straight and narrow" ;)

I'm just speaking for my self here, but this includes topical products. I love to try new things, having still not found the perfect hair products :lol: .....kind of a never-ending quest which is made all the harder having to worry about gluten. I also need to avoid tocopherals and vitamin E in products unless I'm able to find out where they were sourced. That is very hard to find out, as most companies will gladly tell you if they add "gluten", but they have no idea where the E comes from.

I have to agree with everyone about the peanuts! I have developed a liking for almond butter, but I still crave peanut butter.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#34 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:15 PM

For me it is usually a statement "A little bit can't hurt". I think they are comparing it eating a little bit of chocolate.
Cathy

Hi Cathy--nice to see you!

I agree--a lot of people just don't get that a molecule can start a reaction. My MIL is one of those people........
Patti

#35 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

I'm nearly three years down the line, I'm still not 100% right. There is still something that gets me. I have wondered about peanuts, now and then I will ditch them, but they seem to creep back into my life. I cannot tolerate roasted nuts, so my only peanut indulgence is organic peanut butter, which is just peanuts, oil and salt. I think I can handle this. But in having said this my stomach is playing up this morning. It could be the peanut butter, or it could be the coke zero I had yesterday. I'm more inclined to say the coke.

In reality I have given up soy, except for maybe oil and soy lecithin. Gluten free flours and pastas with soy would give me bad stomach issues and pains, usually on my left side. It was easy to give soy up, as personally I don't like the product.

Cathy

#36 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

I don't know which sweetener is in Coke Zero, but I react horribly to Splenda. I get D, but that pales in comparison to the nerological symptoms I get from it.

It scares the heck out of me.
Patti

#37 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:39 PM

Patti, the coke had Aspartame (951) and something called acesulfame K (950), plus the usual caramel colouring (150d). Take my pick. It was a hot day, and the beach was calling and I was thirsty, and they didn't have diet lemonade, so I grabbed the next best thing I knew they would have!

Cathy

#38 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:03 PM

Cathy--

I hear ya! :D Sensitivity to sweeteners is an individual thing--some can use them freely and some can't. It's hard sometimes to figure out what caused what, but the next time if the same thing happens, it'll ring a bell.
Patti

#39 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

Patti, I understand about the chances. I am the same way. I think a lot of my problems are really because I have so many other intolerances and each has a specific set of symptoms so I've learned through trial and error which gluten-free products don't cause any symptoms and stick with those. I make everything else. I really feel best when I do this so that's my motivation. I have so much to do and I really don't like having to limit my activities.

Liz, my husband is the only one allowed to cook for me these days.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#40 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

Patti, I understand about the chances. I am the same way. I think a lot of my problems are really because I have so many other intolerances and each has a specific set of symptoms so I've learned through trial and error which gluten-free products don't cause any symptoms and stick with those. I make everything else. I really feel best when I do this so that's my motivation. I have so much to do and I really don't like having to limit my activities.

Wow yes, that's it exactly.

We must be Celiac soulmates :D
Patti

#41 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

I do best when I don't take any "chances" (and by "chances" I mean eating many things that others with Celiac enjoy without problems). It seems almost every time I deviate from this, I get sick. I have to walk the "straight and narrow" ;)

I've been meaning to ask you, did I poison you with my candy?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#42 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:40 PM

I've been meaning to ask you, did I poison you with my candy?

:D Not at all! In fact, that was the first time I'd eaten anything homemade not prepared by me in well over 3 years. How's that for trust? :rolleyes:
Patti

#43 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

We must be Celiac soulmates :D

Patti, that just cracked me up. I really needed the laugh!!!

I went to a support group for the first time ever, and had to listen to this man who made biscuits, took them to bojangles and TOOK THE HAM OFF THE BISCUIT AND PUT IT ON HIS gluten-free BISCUIT!!!!!!!!HE washed it off though....

I shudder to even think what would happen if I did something like that. :blink:
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#44 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

I went to a support group for the first time ever, and had to listen to this man who made biscuits, took them to bojangles and TOOK THE HAM OFF THE BISCUIT AND PUT IT ON HIS gluten-free BISCUIT!!!!!!!!HE washed it off though....

My gawd.....yeah, I can't even imagine. But the fact that he washed off the ham did give me a little giggle. :P
Patti

#45 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

I give him an A for effort, though! :D