477 replies to this topic

#91 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

I can't bring myself to try McDonalds. Maybe two times a year I will do Chick-fil-A fries. I have a mandoline with a matchstick setting and a small fryer. I take a few russet potatos and slice them up and fry. It takes maybe 10 minutes total. The only problem is that they never seem to make it to the dinner plate :)

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 flourgirl

flourgirl

Peaches

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

Ok, it took me two days to decide to ask this question:

Do any of you successfully eat McDo's fries???? or Have any of you successfully eaten them?

My family was eating them the other night and I really wanted one. I didn't though, because I thought better of it. I really don't want this to become the "is it safe, is it not" debate... I just want to know of the "super sensitive", can any of you actually eat them?

I haven't read past this.....so probably some brave soul has already spoken....but....I have wondered about this many times myself! I'm too much of a coward yet...I'm so afraid of getting sick again. I understand that they are supposed to be safe....but....
GOD IS GREAT, GOD IS GOOD, THANK YOU FOR OUR GLUTEN-FREE FOOD!

MUSIC IS THE BREATH OF LIFE
Theresa

#93 flourgirl

flourgirl

Peaches

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:16 PM

We have found sweet potato fries in the grocery store...finally! You bake these in the oven and the flavor is yummy! Haven't had them in a long while and was so happy to find them.
GOD IS GREAT, GOD IS GOOD, THANK YOU FOR OUR GLUTEN-FREE FOOD!

MUSIC IS THE BREATH OF LIFE
Theresa

#94 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:21 PM

A little extra stress sure seems to set off a Celiac attack more easily than it used to :/

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#95 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:55 PM

I haven't read past this.....so probably some brave soul has already spoken....but....I have wondered about this many times myself! I'm too much of a coward yet...I'm so afraid of getting sick again. I understand that they are supposed to be safe....but....

I think the general consensus is that we're a little too cowardly to try. I've had them once since going gluten-free, but I can't say that I remember if they made me react or not. It was a long while ago, and I was going through feeling pretty sick most of the time. So, I probably felt sick when I ate them and wouldn't have noticed a difference.

Now that I'm actually starting to feel human, it's hard for me to take that risk. I react to pretty much everyone else's fries... so, I make them at home now. I'm getting surprisingly good at it. :lol:
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#96 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:56 PM

:lol: Liz! I've wondered this very thing!

What can I say, great minds think alike! :P :lol:
Oscar Wilde

Soy free Jan 09

#97 rinne

rinne

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:10 PM

From what I recall of their fries, I can think of other foods I'd take a chance on before them, seriously. :lol:

I just feel so spoiled with the most delicious food lately that I wouldn't risk it.

As for fries I've made them at home and they were so good and doable I got ambitious and decided to make potato chips. Oh my, oh my, my first thought was so THIS is why they sell potato chips. :lol: They were amazing, my second thought was how could I have lived this long and never tasted them before. :o

Then I started the SCD. :lol: :(
A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

#98 raisin

raisin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:33 PM

Makeup is a constant topic among celiacs in general.. But I have yet to across a thread just about no-CC makeup.

Does anyone know of a brand with any line of any type of makeup that is safe?
(I am especially interested in eyeliner and base/cover up)

The only one I know so far: Softlips brand is 100% gluten-free ,and now makes colored lip tones with a light scent.

#99 Lori T.

Lori T.

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

I was thinking it would be nice to have a thread where we can kick ideas around that work for us, as well as share our frustrations with others who understand.

My original thread on the subject was inadvertantly lost, but there was so much interest that I'd like to try again. :D

After being gluten-free for a good three and a half years, I find myself just as sensitive--if not more--than I was when I started. My reactions have gotten less severe, but they tend to drag on a lot longer. One thing that has improved greatly is the anxiety. Before I was diagnosed, I had full on panic attacks. I've not had a panic attack since going on the diet, and the near-crippling anxiety is all but gone after taking about 18 months to begin to improve.

I still can't tolerate things made on shared equipment with gluten, and so many of the products that are tolerated well by other Celiacs cause me to react. I had a real problem dealing with this for a long time, obsessing on trying to figure out "why?".

I think I have finally arrived at a place where I accept things the way they are--that this is me. I do wonder sometimes if it is because of the years I was ill and continued to eat gluten because no one knew what was wrong. Could be, I'll never really know.

Hi. Wanted to reply to your thread. Cannot eat shared equipment stuff either. In fact, found that the gluten-free products so starchy that they bind me. Not so much the cereals and crackers, but the bread, pizza, pasta. Told someone else on another blog that that stuff could plug an elephant. Had the panic attacks back to back to back for a long time. Alot of it was the stress of being sick all the time. Still get them when I have been glutened which is not often thank GOD. I found that an allergist was the best thing I ever did. There are others on this thread reading this and I have told my story of allergies before, but for those not in the know, the list of allergies for me started as follows: corn, tomatoes celery, onions, carrots, nut, soy dairy, casein, annatto chocolate, carob, gums, msg, most frouits, artificial sweeteners, artificaial colors, alcohol, seeds, spices, cucumbers, cabbage, peppers. The environmentals were: mold, grasses, treees, diustmites, cat/dog dander, most soaps/cleansers/detergents. Long enough list. After finding the allergist, was living on rice,potatoes and cheese. Stomach issues improved, anxiety was getting better, skin improved, but got bound up unmercifully. Went back to her, she sent me to the GI who diagnosed me and I found nutritional advice there that helped immensely. Upped the lower carb veggies and fruit and water and the works are working much better :). I think that we avoid so much too for so long that our bodies tend to reject things when tried again. I know I left carrots alone for a long time and then had some dip with a couple of carrots just to try it out. Did o.k. So I figured it was ok to start eating them again. Love them, so started taking them to work with me. That was a BIG mistake. Stopped eating them, not the dip and was fine. True intolerance?? Just think that too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing. Another thing to consider as if we don't have enough already is the fact that one autoimmune problem probably means you have more than one. A rheumatologist can rule out any others. But, lastly, I think that a lot of times life gets to all of us. Just think of all the things that come with the gluten-free diet and Celiac diagnosis: doctors that many of us have never heard of, dietary restrictions, learning the diet itself, learning to read labels, deciphering the names of some ingredients to identify offenders which gives us a long shopping experience, testing up the wazoo and frequently, bowel issues and other organ issues, vitamin deficiencies, aches and pains when glutened. You know the list. This alone is a nerve jingler. Then when all of this gets to us, we go in a cycle of depression, eat, deeper depression, no eating, deeper depression, binge eat. Whatever your cycle, you go off your norm. And like me, eat something maybe you have not eaten in a long time and set yourself up for disaster. Too bad there is not a therapist who has a specialty in just Celiac who actually has Celiac to talk to. I guess that is why we talk to each other. No one understands the frustration better than we do. One more thing as if my note is not long enough, even if you had your gallbladder out, which I have had mine out, you can experience pain like you were having an attack. Had a problem with not digesting things, pain in the right abdomen through to the back and discovered a web site that dealt with all my symptoms:gallbladderattack.com. Alot of things that were off with my body were due to a need to change my diet again because of the inability to digest fibers and other stuff that are staples of the gluten-free diet. Thought I would mention it because one the people answering you had a question about pains that sounded like me. Take care.

#100 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:18 PM

Do any of you successfully eat McDo's fries???? or Have any of you successfully eaten them?

I used to --- but would react sometimes....finally had to just stop. I think it was a cross contamination issue, as I didn't get sick every time. I haven't eaten them in 2-3 years.

We have our own little fryer - and we buy the Ore-Ida frozen french fries and fry them up - no difference (other than convenience!) compared to fast food french fries. It only takes a few minutes.

Oven baked fries are just not the same.

#101 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:12 AM

Makeup is a constant topic among celiacs in general.. But I have yet to across a thread just about no-CC makeup.

Does anyone know of a brand with any line of any type of makeup that is safe?
(I am especially interested in eyeliner and base/cover up)

The only one I know so far: Softlips brand is 100% gluten-free ,and now makes colored lip tones with a light scent.

oh honey, let me help you out...
http://www.celiac.co...showtopic=41099

:P
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#102 JRock

JRock

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:17 AM

First off - do NOT eat McD's fries! When I first started my gluten free diet in Oct 08, I read that they were safe. Check out the website: http://www.mcdonalds...ition_info.html. Here are the first two ingredients in their fries: Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*). I was ill for two weeks because I ate their fries a couple times during that timeframe. And when I saw that on the website I was furious. The same goes for their hash browns.

Off that topic, I am also a super-sensitive celiac - I've eliminated gluten from my diet, have stopped eating out, and maintain a gluten-free home. I think I'm having problems with dairy, so as of today, I'm eliminating that. I just feel so miserable - I can pretty much guarantee D every day and pain in my abdomen. I have vicodin for pain, but I only take those when it's unbearable (when I've been glutened) - for this pain I've been taking donnatol. Has anyone had a good experience with it? I think it helps, but I still go through the day in pain - a smaller amount, but still pain. I don't eat much soy, so I don't think it's a problem. We'll see... this elimination diet stuff is no fun.

Jen

#103 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:20 PM

I don't eat the MCD fries either. Thanks for the info on them Jeniba. They sure do list wheat as an ingredient. Vicodin eh, like Dr. House on the tube? I don't take anything except enteric aspirin and potato vodka or tequila myself. Clean living ya' know. :P Oh, I do take DPP-4 if I have been glutened though.

Back on the oats. I got my CSA newsletter this week and it has an article about oats and celiac. Basically it says the jury is still out on oats. What surprised me is they had a chart showing up to 25% of celiacs may have a reaction to oats. That is a higher number than I expected.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#104 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:05 AM

Uh oh...something I ate today (that usually satisfy ALL diets) might have glutened me? and its something that has always, always been safe?? Starting since this afternoon I've been feeling some insane pains in the typical glutening area...ahhhh!

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#105 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:33 AM

Uh oh...something I ate today (that usually satisfy ALL diets) might have glutened me? and its something that has always, always been safe?? Starting since this afternoon I've been feeling some insane pains in the typical glutening area...ahhhh!

I'm really sorry to hear that :(
I hope you can figure out what it is for future reference, and I hope you feel better soon!
Oscar Wilde

Soy free Jan 09

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: