This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

University Not So Accommodating =(

num1habsfan

num1habsfan Rising Star

My first year of university I DID fail, but they let me back in as an exception because of the disability office at the university not satisfying the required accommodations (such as notetakers, extended times on exams/assignments, etc). Rememebr that I am registered with them because of Celiac...

I was promised that this year things were never going to get that bad again, and the first semester was excellent! Not this semester...

My one instructor is rufusing to give me copies of notes (even though she's supposed to). We had agreed the first day of classes that another in the class was going to photocopy the notes every class (even when I'm there) and give them to me the next class. I go to class today, and get NOTHING. She changed the rules -- I now need to provide carbon paper first, THEN i'll get the notes. So, with the most important stuff being in-class material, I don't have it. And the accommodation rules state that because of my medical conditions I may miss class without warning. But no...

I also do not get the course outline, and she knew that I needed it. I told her on the first day of class that I would be away the next one or 2, and so I'd need a copy of the outline when I get back...didn't listen.

So I can't catch up on reading, and am already apparently 7 chapters behind in the textbooks??? The outline states which of the 2 books are covered in class, when exams are, etc. So its VERY important that I have this!!

Now I have to wait until Tuesday to speak with her. So I will be 2 weeks behind on reading, with one of the midterms shortly after.

I want to fight this, but I really don't know HOW. The head person of the disability office is taking the side of the instructor!! :(. If this doesn't get fixed, and FAST, I really will fail the class (meaning failing university completely)...SO UNFAIR!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
My first year of university I DID fail, but they let me back in as an exception because of the disability office at the university not satisfying the required accommodations (such as notetakers, extended times on exams/assignments, etc). Rememebr that I am registered with them because of Celiac...

I was promised that this year things were never going to get that bad again, and the first semester was excellent! Not this semester...

My one instructor is rufusing to give me copies of notes (even though she's supposed to). We had agreed the first day of classes that another in the class was going to photocopy the notes every class (even when I'm there) and give them to me the next class. I go to class today, and get NOTHING. She changed the rules -- I now need to provide carbon paper first, THEN i'll get the notes. So, with the most important stuff being in-class material, I don't have it. And the accommodation rules state that because of my medical conditions I may miss class without warning. But no...

I also do not get the course outline, and she knew that I needed it. I told her on the first day of class that I would be away the next one or 2, and so I'd need a copy of the outline when I get back...didn't listen.

So I can't catch up on reading, and am already apparently 7 chapters behind in the textbooks??? The outline states which of the 2 books are covered in class, when exams are, etc. So its VERY important that I have this!!

Now I have to wait until Tuesday to speak with her. So I will be 2 weeks behind on reading, with one of the midterms shortly after.

I want to fight this, but I really don't know HOW. The head person of the disability office is taking the side of the instructor!! :(. If this doesn't get fixed, and FAST, I really will fail the class (meaning failing university completely)...SO UNFAIR!

When you told her you were going to be missing the next 2 classes on the first day what did you say the reason was? Were you ill that day and knew you would get worse or was it for another reason? If it was not for an illness related problem that may be what is behind the change in attitude of the disability office. If you were ill can you produce records of a doctors visit for those days? If so bring it in.

Have you asked any of your classmates if you can copy the notes or the course outline?

Have you talked to your student advisor or the dean?

num1habsfan Rising Star
When you told her you were going to be missing the next 2 classes on the first day what did you say the reason was? Were you ill that day and knew you would get worse or was it for another reason? If it was not for an illness related problem that may be what is behind the change in attitude of the disability office. If you were ill can you produce records of a doctors visit for those days? If so bring it in.

Have you asked any of your classmates if you can copy the notes or the course outline?

Have you talked to your student advisor or the dean?

She knew I was going to be away for a funeral last thursday, and I warned her in advanced that I'd likely also miss tuesday (which I did, except for back spasms reason). I don't have any doctors note of it because if I can't get out of my bed, I can't get to a doctor.

It was a classmate who agreed to give me notes. Instead, I go to meet after class today (because the agreement was she'd hand them in to the instructor after class), and there was nothing for me. Like I said, the instructor/notetaker changed our deal without ever informing me. The instructor uses something called WebCT where she can easily contact any student. So I am not to blame for it.

I have not talked to an advisor or Dean yet, so if emailing the lady from the disability office (and trying not to chew her head off while I write) doesn't work, then I AM going to the Dean. Even though I have no clue how to plan a meeting...

ravenwoodglass Mentor
She knew I was going to be away for a funeral last thursday, and I warned her in advanced that I'd likely also miss tuesday (which I did, except for back spasms reason). I don't have any doctors note of it because if I can't get out of my bed, I can't get to a doctor.

It was a classmate who agreed to give me notes. Instead, I go to meet after class today (because the agreement was she'd hand them in to the instructor after class), and there was nothing for me. Like I said, the instructor/notetaker changed our deal without ever informing me. The instructor uses something called WebCT where she can easily contact any student. So I am not to blame for it.

I have not talked to an advisor or Dean yet, so if emailing the lady from the disability office (and trying not to chew her head off while I write) doesn't work, then I AM going to the Dean. Even though I have no clue how to plan a meeting...

Sounds like a good plan. Do be sure to be extra polite and courteous to the woman in the email even if you want to beat her with your keyboard. If that doesn't work then contact your advisor next. He or she will be able to guide you in setting up an appointment with the dean. I hope you are able to straighten this out without too much more trouble. Also check and see if she posts the assignments on the website.

num1habsfan Rising Star
Sounds like a good plan. Do be sure to be extra polite and courteous to the woman in the email even if you want to beat her with your keyboard. If that doesn't work then contact your advisor next. He or she will be able to guide you in setting up an appointment with the dean. I hope you are able to straighten this out without too much more trouble. Also check and see if she posts the assignments on the website.

So apparently the outline was uploaded on WebCT...its a good thing I signed on there too look at another class otherwise I would have never known!

I wrote the email..basically I told her that I dont blame her, but I'm concerned that things are looking the way the did in first year where i was nearly failing classes and that its not fair the agreements changed without informing me of them. Also mentioned that I'm not nervous about having to miss future classes in case this problem continues.

Everyone needs to be like my CS teacher: i did arrangements with him earlier today. He is letting me have all quizzes and exam take home, which he will email to me. For the quizzes I have to only email back the answers, and the midterm/final I simply have to hand in 24 or 48 hours later (he will email them to me). On the assignments I get to choose the due date.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
So apparently the outline was uploaded on WebCT...its a good thing I signed on there too look at another class otherwise I would have never known!

I wrote the email..basically I told her that I dont blame her, but I'm concerned that things are looking the way the did in first year where i was nearly failing classes and that its not fair the agreements changed without informing me of them. Also mentioned that I'm not nervous about having to miss future classes in case this problem continues.

Everyone needs to be like my CS teacher: i did arrangements with him earlier today. He is letting me have all quizzes and exam take home, which he will email to me. For the quizzes I have to only email back the answers, and the midterm/final I simply have to hand in 24 or 48 hours later (he will email them to me). On the assignments I get to choose the due date.

glad you were able to access it. At least now you can get reading and hopefully you'll be able to get the class notes soon.

jerseyangel Proficient

Gosh Lisa, what a mess. Ravenwood has already given great advice so I will wish you luck with getting in touch with either the disability office or the dean--hope they will be reasonable. Thinking about you :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Hey num1habsfan,

Being a professor myself... I want to give you a little different perspective.

I don't know what your major is, but in most departments... professors work a LOT of hours and are not paid very well. :( Especially if you're a graduate student or a lecturer. I'm teaching almost 200 students this semester (I work at a big state university)... and sadly, I just don't have a lot of time to make special arrangements. I wish I did. Personally, I don't take offense if students miss class. It's not my job to judge whether someone has a legitimate reason for missing class. I've had students with all kinds of learning disabilities, panic disorders, fibromyalgia... it doesn't bother me as long as they're responsible about keeping in touch by e-mail.

Here's what I'm wondering... if celiac disease is your only health problem, why are you still having problems that prevent you from attending class? Maybe you just need a semester off to really get your diet in order and restore your health. If you're missing a lot of classes, then it IS hard to learn the material... even if you can get the notes, even if you can make special arrangements to take the exams at different times... being a college student is hard work even when you're perfectly healthy.

Definitely, be polite if you're going to start talking to administrators. It would also help if you could find out what the situation is for your professor. Graduate students, for example, are usually paid less than $15,000 a year and are taking classes and/or trying to write their dissertation while they're teaching classes. Very stressful!! Lecturers are not paid much more. Sometimes they have to teach at two or three universities just to make a living. This could explain why the professor is unwilling to do extra work. If you want to PM me with some information (name of the school, department, what class you're taking, name of the professor) I can probably help you figure this out.

num1habsfan Rising Star

Thanks, Patti! :)

Mother of Jibril: The new/improved system from the disability office, which they just started last spring I believe, was that before the semester the office emails each instructor in advance, usually 3 weeks before the classes start letting them of any students who needs accommodations. They can't make/change any decisions until they discuss it and sign it with the student, and then forward a copy to the dean of the faculty and the dis. office. So, since she had agreed for that setup for notetaking, she technically shouldn't be allowed to change it without my consent.

I'm just in the general Arts faculty...because of not being accommodated in first year my grades ended up being too low for business, so right now while I'm still stuck taking arts/science classes I'm trying to build my average back up.

Celiac is definitely NOT the only medical problem I have, it's unfortunately the only one that's covered as a disability. The asthma, arthritis, IBD, etc aren't...can't claim the IBD because no doctor will say that I have a hard-to-diagnose version of it.

This is an economics class...ironically, Healthcare in Canada. With i think like 30 students, if that. She clearly was interested in helping because she mentioned it at the beginning of the first class before I ever got a chance to talk to her, saying she had a couple students who needed a volunteer notetaker.

I'm going to check my university email, if I got a reply from the office I wll post it..

num1habsfan Rising Star

"Hi Lisa,I think you should copy and paste almost all of this email to [instructor's name goes here], with a CC to me. She is the one who has changed that it must be carbonless duplicate paper, I did not make this suggestion or 'rule'

I think that you can just 'tone down' a bit of what you are stating and give her these questions. She has been very anxious to speak with students....so what's happening here? I think you need to ask her.

Let me know if you feel comfortable doing this."

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast
This is an economics class...ironically, Healthcare in Canada.

That is highly ironic ;)

Interesting that your university tries to arrange things in advance... mine relies on the students to deliver letters to professors after the term starts. Not a very good system.

I bet you could do a lot of good by talking to the instructor in person. You don't have to go into huge detail (no more than you feel comfortable with), but explain that you have a lot of health problems. You really hate to miss class, but sometimes you're in so much pain you just can't get out of bed. Ask for his/her suggestions about how the two of you can handle this situation. You might even give examples of things other professors did in the past that you found helpful. BUT... keep in mind that every class is different. You mentioned that one professor used to send you exams by e-mail... I would never do that in a million years!! I always supervise exams to make sure that students are not using their notes or any outside resources. It would be nice if I could just trust people, but I've had WAY too many problems with students cheating.

lbd Rookie

Unfortunately, this is an example of what happens in the real world. As a high school teacher with over 150 students in any given year, it is very difficult to make accomodations for each and every student. Nearly 30% of our students now have some sort of individualized education plan! There is not enough time in the day (or night) to individualize instruction for each and every child, not to mention memorize what each child needs each and every day. We do what we can.

When one reaches college, the ability to accomodate every problem becomes even more difficult. Professors are not in as close contact with students every day and often don't have the opportunity to know students well. At this point, as young adults, it is important for the student to begin to learn to adapt to the real world. My husband is a director at a large company - they do not make accomodations for illnesses like these. If a worker can't do the job, they simply cannot work there.

I am all for trying to help people as much as possible, but sometimes I do get flustered at the attitude that, as a teacher, I am supposed to ignore the needs of 140 of my students to attend to the needs of 10. The time and effort involved in accomodating students with all sorts of problems ranging from allergies to ADD to physical disabilities is phenomenal and detracts from the other students.

There is no good solution. I feel for those with special needs, but our primary job is to teach everyone and sometimes it is very hard to do with all the demands on our time. I think that instead of having the attitude that the system must adjust to the student, sometimes we need to teach the student how to adjust to living and coping with the real world on their own. It is a dilemma.

Laurie

home-based-mom Contributor

I have never been a teacher but I have been a front line supervisor and can verify that it is virtually impossible to accommodate everyone's special needs, no matter how hard you try and no matter how much you might want to.

HOWEVER, I think Lisa's complaint was that (combining figures of speech here . . :rolleyes: ) the rug was pulled out from under her feet by changing horses in mid-stream without even the courtesy of notification. No one likes to get blindsided. Changing things while she was gone so she didn't even have the chance to make her own adjustments or accommodations to the new rules kind of makes it impossible for her learn to live with them, ya know? :blink:

tarnalberry Community Regular

I've never heard of arthritis *not* being covered by disability laws, even in canada. That's odd.

I'm going to say much the same thing, sometimes, you have to suck it up, and despite the screaming pain, go to class anyway. Do you do as well? No. You do the best you can, that's all you can ever do. That's life.

I agree that, in this situation, though, having the rules changed on you is rather annoying. I'd email the teacher and let her know that her change is not per the originally agreed to plan (which ought to have been written down somewhere, and if it wasn't remember better for any future time to ALWAYS right down these sorts of "contracts"), and you two need to either go back to the original plan, or make new - mutually acceptable - arrangements immediately. You have a leg to stand on here - don't give it up.

num1habsfan Rising Star
I have never been a teacher but I have been a front line supervisor and can verify that it is virtually impossible to accommodate everyone's special needs, no matter how hard you try and no matter how much you might want to.

HOWEVER, I think Lisa's complaint was that (combining figures of speech here . . :rolleyes: ) the rug was pulled out from under her feet by changing horses in mid-stream without even the courtesy of notification. No one likes to get blindsided. Changing things while she was gone so she didn't even have the chance to make her own adjustments or accommodations to the new rules kind of makes it impossible for her learn to live with them, ya know? :blink:

You said it perfectly. That's why this is bothering so much...not that everything isn't getting done, because each instructor has their own things to go out of there way, but because i had the rug pulled out from under me. The instructor who will be emailing me the assignments and exams is understanding in that way. I had one do the same thing my very first semester here (except they gave me the exam).

tarnalberry, I don't understand why arthritis isn't covered by the disability office either, or the asthma. She said for asthma I'd have to get a letter for the specialist explaining just how bad it is first, and that my family doctor listing it as one of my permanent disabilities isn't saying enough. It sucks...when its in the -50s C outside its definitly too hard to breathe. I walked to class yesterday morning, in that cold of weather, and I came very, very close to an asthma attack after just a 8 minute walk. Had to run to the washroom closest to the entrance and take my inhaler twice.

Oh want to know what REALLY sucks?? The head lady at the disability office is quitting on the 30th, ahhh! and they don't even have a replacement yet, so i'm going to have to re-tell my whole life story to the 2 people filling in then plus whoever is the next to take over :(

nutbutters Rookie
That is highly ironic ;)

Interesting that your university tries to arrange things in advance... mine relies on the students to deliver letters to professors after the term starts. Not a very good system.

I bet you could do a lot of good by talking to the instructor in person. You don't have to go into huge detail (no more than you feel comfortable with), but explain that you have a lot of health problems. You really hate to miss class, but sometimes you're in so much pain you just can't get out of bed. Ask for his/her suggestions about how the two of you can handle this situation. You might even give examples of things other professors did in the past that you found helpful. BUT... keep in mind that every class is different. You mentioned that one professor used to send you exams by e-mail... I would never do that in a million years!! I always supervise exams to make sure that students are not using their notes or any outside resources. It would be nice if I could just trust people, but I've had WAY too many problems with students cheating.

My college requires that we tell them ahead of time. I have never told a professor, lest I have had to miss class for a doctor's appointment, but even then I don't tell them why I need to go to the doctor. As for the last part, I find that so weird and I am so grateful I go to my school! Our exams are never proctored; we take our finals on our own time and are trusted to not cheat (I have never cheated, nor has anyone I know).

To the student: I understand where you are coming from, but I think there is something deeper to it. Maybe you should take lighter course-loads and work on other things, as to not impact your grades so heavily. You may want to have it in writing for your professors, that this will happen, and give a copy to the Disabilities Office. That way, there is a bit less you have to explain.

mushroom Proficient
Our exams are never proctored; we take our finals on our own time and are trusted to not cheat (I have never cheated, nor has anyone I know).

Well, I haven't either, and I wore my C- grade in a class as a badge of honor after being given a closed-book take-home final on which we were to spend 3 hours. It was in a legal writing class and the exam was much too long to be completed in that time. I did what I could. So did a gal I was working with. And she ended up with the same grade I did--we were both straight A students; the others obviously cheated.

home-based-mom Contributor

If you know you are 7 chapters behind in class, you can read those 7. Have you exchanged cell phone numbers with anyone else in the class? Or do any of your friends know someone in the class? Try by whatever means you can think of to at least get the reading info. Does no one have the class outline? You seem to have seen it, or was it discussed verbally? Can the person who was taking notes anyway scan and e-mail them to you? I hate to suggest doing an end-around with this teacher, but at least in this case it might be your best option. ;)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

She said for asthma I'd have to get a letter for the specialist explaining just how bad it is first, and that my family doctor listing it as one of my permanent disabilities isn't saying enough. It sucks...when its in the -50s C outside its definitly too hard to breathe. I walked to class yesterday morning, in that cold of weather, and I came very, very close to an asthma attack after just a 8 minute walk. Had to run to the washroom closest to the entrance and take my inhaler twice.

:(

Have you asked your doctor to write that letter? I would. All this nasty cold really makes asthma hard to deal with. When my asthma was bad and it was really cold I used to take a puff right before I stepped out the door. You might want to call the doctors and ask it it is okay to do that. Hopefully you have lots of warm scaves to wrap around your face.

I hope all this gets straightened out soon.

num1habsfan Rising Star
Have you asked your doctor to write that letter? I would. All this nasty cold really makes asthma hard to deal with. When my asthma was bad and it was really cold I used to take a puff right before I stepped out the door. You might want to call the doctors and ask it it is okay to do that. Hopefully you have lots of warm scaves to wrap around your face.

I hope all this gets straightened out soon.

No i haven't had the chance to talk to my doctor, yet. It's not easy to miss class and take a trip home just for that, you can't just walk in...

I was breathing through my scarf which I layed into 5 or 6 layers on those cold days. Now that its warmer I'm still breathing through my sleeve or something. Just so that I don't get any of the air in. 60% lungs = scary asthma.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
No i haven't had the chance to talk to my doctor, yet. It's not easy to miss class and take a trip home just for that, you can't just walk in...

I was breathing through my scarf which I layed into 5 or 6 layers on those cold days. Now that its warmer I'm still breathing through my sleeve or something. Just so that I don't get any of the air in. 60% lungs = scary asthma.

Your doctor will understand that you can't just rush home for the letter. Have you called the office to see if he will simply send you one? He has all your records on hand and the office may be willing to do this. You never know unless you ask.

tarnalberry Community Regular
Your doctor will understand that you can't just rush home for the letter. Have you called the office to see if he will simply send you one? He has all your records on hand and the office may be willing to do this. You never know unless you ask.

Oh absolutely! Most of these little sorts of things get done through phone calls and faxes, not going in personally. Call the office, let them know what you need, and there's a good chance it'll get taken care of.

kbtoyssni Contributor

I would definitely just give your doctor a call. I see my doctor in person once a year; everything else I do by phone and fax.

num1habsfan Rising Star

So my instructor was not very happy with me... I very nicely said in an email that I would like to know why the agreement was changed and that it made me feel very uneasy after missing future classes. Also said that I don't expect her to drop everything for just one student, but think it's fair that I ask to feel comfortable.

I haven't had a chance to read her email reply, but when i met with her this morning she said she resents me for accusing her of changing things, and said she has 7 other students to look after so i shouldn't expect to get answers immediately, etc. I'm really not pleased with that reaction...Grr.

Besides that, apparently everything has been arranged for extended times on the exams in a separate room...and said I only need documentation from a doctor if I'm be missing an exam or assignment...

I'm supposed to the tell the lady from the disability office what the email reply said...

Archived