Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Article: Terrible Disease Found To Be Common

5 posts in this topic

This is one of the best articles I have read in quite a while. Has tons of info in one short article. -Jessica :rolleyes:

Posted on Sat, Mar. 19, 2005

Terrible disease found to be common

JOE GRAEDON and TERESA GRAEDON, Ph.D.

Knight Ridder Tribune News Service

Graduating medical students are sometimes told: "Half of what we have taught you is wrong . . . we just don't know which half." As amusing as this sounds, it rings true for a complex condition called celiac disease.

For decades medical students were taught that celiac disease is rare, that it affects the digestive tract and that afflicted children grow out of it. All these myths have now been disproved.

Celiac disease was once thought to affect only one child in 5,000. That would make it so uncommon that few doctors would ever make the diagnosis. With such statistics, a pediatrician might see a handful of cases in a lifetime.

But now researchers have found that celiac is actually quite common, affecting one person out of 100. Because genetics play a role, a person with a family member who has celiac disease has one chance in 22 of being affected.

Millions of Americans are afflicted, but most don't even know it. It might take years or even decades for the problem to be diagnosed. By then, it could be too late to undo the damage.

In celiac disease, the immune system reacts to a protein called gluten found in wheat, barley and rye. This triggers an inflammatory response in the small intestine that can interfere with efficient absorption of nutrients. Early recognition of digestive-tract involvement led doctors to pay attention to symptoms such as stomachaches and diarrhea.

But many patients diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome might not realize that their discomfort could be due to celiac disease. One study found that 12 percent of patients with IBS were gluten-intolerant.

Many patients don't have classic symptoms, however. Chronic fatigue and anemia that can't be attributed to other causes might well be signs of celiac disease. Other immune conditions, such as type-1 diabetes and thyroid disease, may be associated with celiac disease. A chronic, itchy rash known as dermatitis herpetiformis is another odd sign of an immune reaction to gluten.

People with gluten intolerance cannot absorb adequate amounts of calcium, magnesium, iron or other essential nutrients from food. As a result, their bones become weak and brittle.

New research shows that celiac disease is common among adults with osteoporosis, affecting more than three in 100 (Archives of Internal Medicine, Feb. 28, 2005). The investigators conclude that anyone diagnosed with osteoporosis should be screened for celiac disease.

Debilitating neurological disorders may also signal celiac disease. Some patients might appear to have early-onset dementia. Others experience chronic migraine or peripheral neuropathy (pain, tingling or burning in feet or hands).

For readers who would like to learn more about celiac disease, we offer a celiac disease of a one-hour radio interview with one of the world's leading experts. The show provides information on diagnosis and treatment. It is available for $15 from the People's Pharmacy (celiac disease-455), P.O. Box 52027, Durham, NC 27717-2027.

Many physicians practicing medicine today never learned about the range of problems celiac disease can cause. With evidence mounting that it is common, patients deserve to be tested. For those who are affected, a strict gluten-free diet can prevent many complications.

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/living/11165587.htm

Ads by Google:

That is a very good article--describes some general symptoms--some not so common ones--how common it really is and why it was never diagnosed...and its tie to osteoporosis, anemia, IBS...you're right--it's one of the better articles we've seen.

That article is awesome! Now if only every GP and GI doctor could read it....

These two articles were from yesterday...not very good, but interesting to compare them to such a good article:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/health/4300199/detail.html -- this article said that people in Celiacs, the body treats gluton, a protein found in wheat like poison.....no reference to barley, rye.... :D

http://sun.yumasun.com/artman/publish/arti...story_15403.php -- Can't really blame this person for not being as informative as in the other article; the celiac disease information is in an "Ask the Doctor" section.

That article is awesome! Now if only every GP and GI doctor could read it....

I know! This is the type of article I would print out for people who don't understand, but are interested in learning more--or for regular doctors who don't know about celiac--or for confused relatives.......

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• gluten intolerance, dairy intolerance and fructose
      I've never gone fructose free so can't help much with that.  But any fruit is probably a problem.  If you are serious about avoiding fructose you could do a search and print out a list of foods to avoid. http://www.mayoclinic.org/fructose-intolerance/expert-answers/faq-20058097 Yes, it very possible to have multiple food intolerance issues.  Many people have multiple food intolerances.  It might help to avoid any foods that are sweet for now.  Meat and most veggies are probably the way to go.  You may want to get some jerky to eat for snacks.  Peanuts might be ok but you'll need to verify that.  Boiled eggs are probably ok.  Most soda would be a no-no.      
    • Help
      Hi Courtney, You asked about dairy, and RMJ got it right.  Celiac disease destroys the villi lining of the small intestine.  Those villi make the lactase enzyme we need to digest dairy. Sigmoid colon thickening could be related to diverticulitis.  Which according to Wiki is a fairly common condition but doesn't always cause symptoms.  Diverticulitis can cause a problem if there is an infection though.  The sigmoid colon is part of the large intestine.  Celiac disease affects the small intestine, so celiac isn't likely involved.  I am not sure why the resident suggested celiac, unless there were some other reason to do so.  Possibly the weight loss, which could be explained by celiac disease.  Thickening of the colon may happen with Crohn's disease also.  And I'm not sure about UCD (ulcerative colitis disease) but it might cause that also, not sure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverticulosis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigmoid_colon http://biology-pages.info/G/GITract.html#pancreas http://www.ccfa.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-ulcerative-colitis/
    • So I've been glutened....
      Hi JMG, Since it's easy, and always fun, I'd blame your sister. That's what I do.  But seriously, if it's an ongoing problem, rather than an isolated incident stick with your first guess.  Then test it.   So get rid of the oat bread or the sister (her food) or anything that is a consistent part of your diet and you suspect could be the problem.  Of course processed foods are the most likely issue always. It's easy enough to drop back to a very few foods for a few days and see if things improve.  Eating with celiac isn't about having the most exciting diet, it's about eating a medically safe diet.  So it can be boring sometimes.  That's ok, being in pain is exciting but not so fun.   Boring is fine. You might ask your sister what brands of flour she used, and other ingredients.  Then check on those products for possible gluten issues.  If they turn out to be possible problems, make a note of it so you can avoid them in the future. My own sister has been gluten-free for years but she has made me sick several times with her "creations".  It really is best to trust your own cooking and nobody else's for at least 6 months as you are getting used to the diet and healing.  Then slowly branch out and add things in maybe 1 new item in a week.  Slow and controlled diet changes are the way to go.  Boring but safe.  Happy but slow.    
      Jmg I am sorry to hear you are unwell. You have been so kind and helpful to me on the boards here. You deserve the time to rant too.   Everyone's suggestion of probiotic is helpful. I have taken them since the 1990's in spurts as needed but was told by my DC after this March glutening I should take it daily "for life". My local store ran out, (I buy the type that must be refrigerated so the manufacturer does not ship direct to customer.) I was ok first day without it but by day 3 I knew I had to locate some for the probiotic/ enzyme blend was necessary for me. I have still not healed well enough yet to be without. As others said it could be cc from sis or the food  industry. Within the food industry even with parameters in place errors can be made- hopefully not too often.  Often rare though especially if not designated facility.  It is hard to know some days what it was. I do hope you get better soon. Yes I do think it can affect the brain/mood. Happens to me a large amount can be immediately,  but a smaller amount by day 2 after glutening. I want to ban gluten everywhere in my environments, unrealistic I know,  but have only been able to do that at home.  Be kind and patient with yourself at this time as you would tell me. ((((((Hug)))))
      Yeah I did all the bone broths and sauerkraut after my challenge. Although I wasn't very good at making sauerkraut... Its summer here now so I've eased up on the bone boiling, plus my local butcher is struggling to obtain them. As you say healing to the point where microscopic cross contamination doesn't get you would be a big win.  I was ok with coffee until last few days. I drank decaff black and would have several cups a day without issue. I'll be gutted if I can't handle it any more. I hadn't realised you could get gluten-free miso soup. Will have to look for that    
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Fourpeople