Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Different Reactions From Different Gluten Sources...

6 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a higher gluten content in wheat, rye or barley? Meaning: will some people react worse to being glutened by barley as opposed to wheat? The last few times I have been glutened it was from barley flavoring and my symptoms weren't very strong. I was wondering if my body is just changing and adjusting (and this is my new reaction) or if there are higher/ lower levels of gluten in the different grains?

Thanks

Ads by Google:

I'm not sure if there are higher or lower gluten levels in foods but I know that I react much strogner to wheat. When I was eating gluten and I would eat 100% whole wheat pasta or bread I would get ill within 30 minutes and stay ill for a day. I didn't seem to react so quickly or so badly to foods with rye or barley. That's why I thought I might have a wheat allergy like my son but according to the scratch test I do not.

I also react more strongly with wheat but I do react to barley. Barley will also give me metallic taste in my mouth which wheat doesn't. Oats will get me too not as bad as wheat but worse than barley. I haven't tryed anything with rye.

Not only do I react differently, I may have different symptoms that juggle themselves around! I usually always have D but the neurological stuff is a grab bag; mind fog, tremors, stupid brain, mood swings, unjustified anger, clumsiness, joint pain. Any or some of these might occur along with unending hunger and apathy.

Yuck, no wonder I avoid gluten!!

I seem to have differing reactions to differing levels of processing:

straight wheat flour or non distilled vinegar - D, cramping etc and almost right away, mental ones within a few hours or the next day....anxiety, crabbiness, feeling down and unable to sleep very well (back b4 I knew to avoid gluten it would have included occular migraines as well), the more processed the food the longer my reaction time

"filtered" exposure - thru wheat based vodkas etc (yeah, I know they're supposed to be safe but <_< ) nausea and general unwell feeling, this passes more quickly than the other

Thanks for responding guys! I thought i was going crazy. I also had the metalic taste in my mouth! My Dr actually had me do a test for heavy metals in my blood when i mentioned it. All of your symptoms really hit home, its nice to know that when i get craby, anxious etc. not to be too hard on myself-- Im not a bad person, just a Celiac who got glutened.

Thanks