Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Different Reactions From Different Gluten Sources...

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 wschmucks

wschmucks

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

Hi Everyone.
I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a higher gluten content in wheat, rye or barley? Meaning: will some people react worse to being glutened by barley as opposed to wheat? The last few times I have been glutened it was from barley flavoring and my symptoms weren't very strong. I was wondering if my body is just changing and adjusting (and this is my new reaction) or if there are higher/ lower levels of gluten in the different grains?

Thanks
Diagnosed Celiac Oct' 08 (blood test and biopsy)
Starting SDC Feb'09

Just trying to figure it out with a smile :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Amyleigh0007

Amyleigh0007

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

I'm not sure if there are higher or lower gluten levels in foods but I know that I react much strogner to wheat. When I was eating gluten and I would eat 100% whole wheat pasta or bread I would get ill within 30 minutes and stay ill for a day. I didn't seem to react so quickly or so badly to foods with rye or barley. That's why I thought I might have a wheat allergy like my son but according to the scratch test I do not.
Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.
3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.
6/08: My Celiac test is negative.
7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!
7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.
8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

I also react more strongly with wheat but I do react to barley. Barley will also give me metallic taste in my mouth which wheat doesn't. Oats will get me too not as bad as wheat but worse than barley. I haven't tryed anything with rye.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:01 AM

Not only do I react differently, I may have different symptoms that juggle themselves around! I usually always have D but the neurological stuff is a grab bag; mind fog, tremors, stupid brain, mood swings, unjustified anger, clumsiness, joint pain. Any or some of these might occur along with unending hunger and apathy.

Yuck, no wonder I avoid gluten!!

#5 maile

maile

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:13 AM

I seem to have differing reactions to differing levels of processing:

straight wheat flour or non distilled vinegar - D, cramping etc and almost right away, mental ones within a few hours or the next day....anxiety, crabbiness, feeling down and unable to sleep very well (back b4 I knew to avoid gluten it would have included occular migraines as well), the more processed the food the longer my reaction time

"filtered" exposure - thru wheat based vodkas etc (yeah, I know they're supposed to be safe but <_< ) nausea and general unwell feeling, this passes more quickly than the other
Enterolab:
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 11 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA 18 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal Anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA 9 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)
(this makes sense, my mother had MS)

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

#6 wschmucks

wschmucks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for responding guys! I thought i was going crazy. I also had the metalic taste in my mouth! My Dr actually had me do a test for heavy metals in my blood when i mentioned it. All of your symptoms really hit home, its nice to know that when i get craby, anxious etc. not to be too hard on myself-- Im not a bad person, just a Celiac who got glutened.

Thanks
Diagnosed Celiac Oct' 08 (blood test and biopsy)
Starting SDC Feb'09

Just trying to figure it out with a smile :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: