4 replies to this topic

#1 notsurewhat2think

notsurewhat2think

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:24 AM

When I was a baby (50 years ago) my mother was told I was a celiac. She put me on a fairly strict diet for a short time until a friend of her introduced me to cake. Since that day I was "healed." I have eaten everything I've wanted all my life, have gained weight and am extremely healthy. Without going through extensive testing is there any way I can find out if I am a celiac? Also, I added flax seed to my diet over a year ago. Does this affect celiacs negatively?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 01:33 PM

Celiac will NEVER go away. If you had it as a baby--you still have it now and will always have it. Did your mother suspect you were celiac or actually know? If you haven't been on a gluten-free diet, you can easily test for celiac with blood tests. Another option is Enterolab. Even if you feel healthy, though, your intestines are still being destroyed, though...and a majority of celiacs are asymptomatic. Celiac symptoms can come and go, but it's not worth straying from the diet if you have it: unless wheat-filled food is more important than prevention of long-term symptoms, which include, but are by no means limited to malnutrition, cancer, osteoporosis, and type 1 diabetes. If you don't think you have celiac and have been on a normal, gluten-filled diet, make sure: have your doctor run blood tests to make sure.

#3 notsurewhat2think

notsurewhat2think

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll get it checked out. How 'bout flax seed? Good or bad for a celiac?

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 03:32 PM

Flax seed is fine.

richard

#5 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 05:49 PM

Yeah definately get tested for celiac and if you can... try and get your diagnosis records from when you were a baby.

I actually have a friend who was "diagnosed" with celiac disease as a baby and he went through about 60% of his life on a strict gluten-free diet. Just recently, he found out that he was never offically tested as a baby (no blood test or biopsy) the doctors just diagnosed him based on his diet responses to formulas. Anyway, his new GI doc decided to offically test him (since he had been eating gluten) and the GI doc found that he didn't have celiac disease at all! :blink:
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: