4 replies to this topic

#1 LeeV

LeeV

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 01:22 PM

I'M THE PARENT OF A 22 YR. OLD WHO WAS DIAGNOSED 9 MONTHS AGO W/CELIAC AND IT WAS RECOMMENDED I HAVE A BLOOD TEST DONE. I DON'T KNOW IF HAVING A 19 H FOR GLIADIN ANTIBODY (IGA) IS WITHIN THE NORMAL RANGE. CAN SOMEONE LET ME KNOW BEFORE I HAVE TO CALL DR.'S OFFICE. THANKS.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 01:38 PM

The normal range for the IgA is less than 18....at 19, you're....iffy about having celiac. You're right outside the normal range--and may or may not have it. But you're correct--you should be tested if anyone in your family has celiac disease. Has your doctor run any other tests? Having a positive AGA IgA makes you less likely to have celiac disease, provided that the EMA IgA and the AGA IgG are negative...has your doctor run either of those other tests? Otherwise, you don't really know whether you have it or not. Positive/negative results for the other tests could give us a better idea.

#3 LeeV

LeeV

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:12 AM

Thank you celiac3270 for the info. My IGG was 7, which is in the normal range. I don't have any symptoms but my daughter is having a follow up visit w/her gastro dr. next month and I'll ask for his opinion. Thanks again.

#4 debberdee

debberdee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:06 AM

I was happy to see that I am not the only one with questions about these tests!!! I posted yesterday with questions and although I still don't have answers about these tests, I am soooooooooooooo thankful for the sweet responses that I received! I was already eating pretty much gluten free before my tests (didn't know I needed to be eating gluten!) Anyway, My #'s are IgA 14 - IgG 41 - and another one that was 2. All my doctor said was that he believed I had celiac disease. Not anything about the #'s As I said in the other posting, my daughter is arguing about that diagnosis! Can anyone help me? I am eating gluten-free and feel so much better than I have EVER felt in my life, so I will stay gluten-free!

#5 Guest_Lucy_*

Guest_Lucy_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:19 PM

I have found that even though I do not have celiac disease I am following the diet pretty much with my son. I have lost weight. BECAUSE.... if you are eating gluten-free you are probably not eating alot of processed foods, which is healthier for everyone. Also, you are probably not eating as much "white stuff" which is sugar, flour, and starch, (as in cookies, cakes, etc.) which is not good for anyone.

Keep doing it if it feels good. The only bad thing about it is, if you normally get your fiber from whole grain bread and cereal, you may have to increase your fiber intake somewhere else.

GOOD LUCK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: