This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Did It

Chrissyb

Chrissyb Enthusiast

Gluten Free was getting a little easier to deal with, I could still have my pasta with yummy sauce, BUT when I had to go diary free no more yummy alfredo sauce. Well one night I just put my brain to work and I did it. First I made the rue with Earth Balance and cornstarch then I added chicken broth, then some almond milk and let all that come to the consistancy I was looking for. For cheese I added Almond Milk garlic and herb cheese and the a number of spices and then let that cook . I was very pleased with the responses from my family even my picky 16 year old son loved it. We had it with chicken and pasta.

I can wait to try the cheddar chesses for mac and cheese. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

that's awesome! i definitely mourned the loss of my beloved fettuccine alfredo until i discovered the Bertoli sauces are gluten free. one of these days i'll try and make my own sauce from scratch...

purple Community Regular

Way to go!!! Question...is the cheese df? I haven't checked into the df cheese much. We tossed one and used all of another but my dd said it was only ok. gluten-free and df pasta sauce for pasta or pizza sounds like a real winner! Congrats!

Chrissyb Enthusiast
Way to go!!! Question...is the cheese df? I haven't checked into the df cheese much. We tossed one and used all of another but my dd said it was only ok. gluten-free and df pasta sauce for pasta or pizza sounds like a real winner! Congrats!

Purple, yes it is df. The kind I bought is Lisanatti Almond Cheese ( the good health cheese alternative). I get mine from either Whole Foods or my other local health food stores. I have tried both the Herb and Garlic and the Cheddar, it also comes in Moz.

Since I have been df only 3 months it is the best I have found. My 16 yr old son who is not df really likes it also.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

yay! i will have to look for a good df cheese to try this!

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Can you post a recipe? How much of each are we supposed to use? I always have trouble making roux.

purple Community Regular
Purple, yes it is df. The kind I bought is Lisanatti Almond Cheese ( the good health cheese alternative). I get mine from either Whole Foods or my other local health food stores. I have tried both the Herb and Garlic and the Cheddar, it also comes in Moz.

Since I have been df only 3 months it is the best I have found. My 16 yr old son who is not df really likes it also.

Thanks, I will watch for it somewhere...we don't have a whole foods :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

I really really hate to say this, but the Lisantti cheese isn't dairy-free.

Open Original Shared Link

It has milk protein in it. Might be okay for lactose intolerant people, but not for anyone who needs to be dairy free. :(

Chrissyb Enthusiast
I really really hate to say this, but the Lisantti cheese isn't dairy-free.

Open Original Shared Link

It has milk protein in it. Might be okay for lactose intolerant people, but not for anyone who needs to be dairy free. :(

You know I never really read what was in it. My husband bought it for me and since I eat it in such samll amounts and not very often and never had a reaction from it, I never thought about it.

I know there are other things that have milk protein that I bother me but for some reason this does not. Go figure.

Chrissyb Enthusiast
Can you post a recipe? How much of each are we supposed to use? I always have trouble making roux.

When I make a roux I use:

Equal amounts of butter sub:

2Tab butter sub

2Tab Cornstarch

Melt butter then add cornstarch combine together

Then I usually add about

1 C chicken broth

1 C almond milk or soy milk

add more depending on the consistancy you want

let cook until that consistancy, add chesse sub of choice and spice

cook until cheese is melted

That is a fly by the seat of your pants recipe I hope it helps. lol

sbj Rookie

I had great results just the other night using chicken fat and sweet rice flour. I think the sweet rice flour actually works better as a thickener than the old standby wheat flour. I was really surprised at how good the resulting gravy turned out.

SevenWishes Newbie

Roux isn't too hard to make, so long as you keep the heat under control and don't overload the pan with too much of either ingredient. If it's too oily/greasy, add in a little extra flour at a time. If it's too dry, add in more of your fat in small increments. As it's cooking, roux should be both loose and flowing, but also have some body to it. If it looks like it has about the consistency of a milkshake, you're in the right area as far as ingredient balance. The heat should be moderately high, but never to the point at which the roux boils very hard or (of course) burns. Only make small changes to the ingredient balance and the heat at a time, and it should come out ok.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I think I can do better next time. I probably have issues with the heat, makes sense.

Archived