8 replies to this topic

#1 Youngceliac16

Youngceliac16

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:11 PM

Does anyone have a recipe or a suggestion for gluten-free wonton wrappers? I found a recipe for wonton wrappers that is NOT gluten free that calls for all-purpose flour. I thought I'd use some gluten-free flour mix with xanthan gum or guar gum. The problem is that I ddon't know what flours to use. I would prefer an originally gluten-free recipe because I am planning a very involved dinner for mid February and still need to test things out and make adjustments. If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it if you could post them below. Thank You! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nasalady

nasalady

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

Does anyone have a recipe or a suggestion for gluten-free wonton wrappers? I found a recipe for wonton wrappers that is NOT gluten free that calls for all-purpose flour. I thought I'd use some gluten-free flour mix with xanthan gum or guar gum. The problem is that I ddon't know what flours to use. I would prefer an originally gluten-free recipe because I am planning a very involved dinner for mid February and still need to test things out and make adjustments. If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it if you could post them below. Thank You! :D

Check out this blog post:

http://iamglutenfree...ns-shu-mei.html

She uses Better Batter Gluten Free Flour in her wonton wrapper recipe; I haven't tried their flour but a lot of people on this forum swear by it.

Good luck!
JoAnn
Multiple autoimmune diseases, including celiac, Hashimoto's, psoriasis, autoimmune hepatitis, RA, SLE. Also have fibromyalgia.

Tested Fall 2008: bloodwork, biopsy negative; HLA DQ8. Doctor believes results negative due to prednisone and Imuran taken for autoimmune hepatitis.

Dx with celiac disease because of dietary response, genetics, and family history of celiac disease.

Dx with Lyme Disease Jan 2010; Lyme likely triggered some of the AI diseases.

Gluten free since 25 Nov 2008

#3 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:33 AM

I just use spring roll wrappers, inexpensive and easy to use.

#4 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:36 AM

I use soba or buckwheat flour for wonton and gyoza. Sometimes mix it with a little amaranth or quinoa flour depending on what's inside.
I like to make them with figs, feta and spinach.
Ken

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Shallyssa

Shallyssa

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:26 AM

I was looking for a gluten free wonton recipes too but couldn't find one! I think I'll use rice paper finally!

#6 Chrissyb

Chrissyb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:50 AM

I just use spring roll wrappers, inexpensive and easy to use.

Where do you find the gluten free spring roll wrapper? I have looked every where even in the Asian stores in my town and I can not find them.
Chrissy

#7 sbj

sbj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

You might want to ask specifically for Vietnamese or Thai style rice-based spring roll wrappers. Referring to them as won ton wrappers or egg rolls might confuse some people. They are dry in the Asian market where I shop, and were located near the other dried rice noodles. Good luck!

#8 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:46 PM

I found my spring roll wrappers in my local Martin's grocery store in the Asian section. Granted in another local Martin's they didn't carry them. They were in round clear plastic box. They come dried and you have to moisten them with water. I use a 10 inch pie pan and add water to they can soak about 30 seconds. Then they do seem like skins they turn clear and soft. You fill them and cook. I usually bake mine but you can fry them too. To fry, I would assume you would want to let them dry out some.

#9 gluten freedom

gluten freedom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

Hi Youngceliac16,
I just posted this recipe to my blog. I was going to keep this one to myself but it's always better to share.
Here is my recipe for dough sheets, which are fantastic for wonton wrappers, raviolis, dumplings you name it! You can even make them up ahead of time and freeze them. Sounds perfect for your dinner party. My whole family just got together last weekend for a Gluten Free Chinese Food party! I have to tell you we all ate so much and because everybody brought something there was such a variety. It was bliss to have so many options. And let me tell you, being able to do this in steps and having the options of freezing, refrigerating or cooking and freezing helped it to come about so fluidly for me, even though I work full time and then some.

Click on the link below to get to the recipe. Have fun and let me know how you liked this recipe.

http://www.celiac.co...h...blogid=545

Thanks and have a gluten freedom day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: