2 replies to this topic

#1 Mtndog

Mtndog

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

My husband and I are leaving next Saturday for 5 nights in Key west and although I'm sure I can stuff myself silly with grilled seafood, wondering if anyone has been there recently and has suggestions.

I'd like to take day trip by boat to snorkel and usually they serve sandwiches etc so I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions about where to get a lunch to bring along. I can bring gluten-free bread and do a pb&j but would rather have something tastier.

Thanks in advance!
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:44 AM

Well now that I've gone and come back I can answer my own questions!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Places in Key West that were accomodating:
1. Mangoes (Duval Street)- Ate there twice. Super accomodating and DEE-licious! Had grouper for dinner and they made a delicious grilled chicken, monterey jack and bacon wrap with mango chutney into a salad for me. They have an insane stuffed baby iceberg salad- bleu cheese, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, vinaigrette. Will dream about it!

2. Fogarty's on Duval- Went there for Superbowl. had a Southwestern salad. They were gluten-free savvy.

3. Martin's and Banana Cafe (on Duval street) for breakfast- great omelettes at both!

5. Skip Jacks (Duval again)- had amazing scallops with very flavorful rice, asparagus and a mango beurre blanc sauce.

6. Strip- at the Reach Resort. We stayed here and I had salads and for dinner one night, boneless spareribs with garlic greenbeans. Yum!

7. La Trattoria (Duval)- best meal we had. I had shrimp and Florida lobster tail with rice and vegetables. It was by far the best meal we had there. My husband doesn't really like fish but decided to try the snapper dish and LOVED it! I don't know what they use for spices, but my mouth was doing the happy dance!

Fora wrap to go, Help Yourself, a little stand, has gluten-free wraps!

Overall, Key West gets two thumbs up for gluten-free!
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#3 mslee

mslee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:02 PM

I've been gone, but I love key west! glad you got to go!

I was not gluten free when I went, but would like to recommend Blue Haven, they were very accommodating for our party. Many restaurants on the island have reals chefs who use fresh, real food without all the additives artificial ing. most places use & they are very friendly people down there.
http://blueheavenkw....t_Key_West.html

a little more info about florida/key west
http://www.celiac.co...h...1&hl=destin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: