This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Carrabba's And Other Restaurants

jjc

jjc Contributor

My family went to Carrabba's last night and enjoyed a pretty good gluten free meal. However, I really think that waiters in these types of restaurants should have more specific training regarding allergens. Our waiter saw that me, my daughter and my husband were all looking at our own gluten free menu. My son, who is not gluten-free was reading a regular menu. He said "oh, you are gluten free " when he took our order, but then he proceeded to put the bread right in front of my daughter's plate, not my son's, and he asked more than one time what kind of pasta we'd (all) like and whether we all wanted more bread. :rolleyes:

Maybe it was because my teenage daughter is cute (!) I don't know, but it was like he wasn't aware of the whole gluten thing AT ALL. One more thing he said: when we asked him about the chicken soup (which the menu suggests ordering without pasta) he said that they just take the noodles out of the soup and then it's gluten free. yikes! I will be calling the restaurant tomorrow and also their 1-800 number. I sure hope he was wrong about the noodles. :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

digmom1014 Enthusiast

I have never had a problem with the soup. The Carraba's by my house adds or doesn't add the noodles to each persons soup separately.

I always have the Chicken Marsala, which is delicious. Can anyone suggest something they have liked from that menu? I get stuck in a rut! I know that item is good and I won't get sick so, I re-run it over and over.

Gemini Experienced
I have never had a problem with the soup. The Carraba's by my house adds or doesn't add the noodles to each persons soup separately.

I always have the Chicken Marsala, which is delicious. Can anyone suggest something they have liked from that menu? I get stuck in a rut! I know that item is good and I won't get sick so, I re-run it over and over.

Try the chicken breast stuffed with fontina and proscuitto....it's absolutely delicious! The Carrabba's near to me does an outstanding job with the gluten free menu.

They never put bread in the bag with gluten-free meals and I don't even have to go through the whole spiel with them. I just say I am ordering from the gluten-free menu and they get it right every time. It highly depends on each restaurant and how well a job the manager does.

Sweetfudge Community Regular
Try the chicken breast stuffed with fontina and proscuitto....it's absolutely delicious!

i second this one, this was my favorite plate before i stopped eating dairy.

my husband rocks, whenever we go to carabbas, he always asks them not to bring any bread (b/c he knows i loved it). i've never had any glutening problems at carabbas (just dairy...).

harp1 Apprentice

What do you order that has no dairy at Carrabas? Susan

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

I like the Caesar salad with shrimp.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

The last time I went, I ordered a side salad (they brought me some oil and vinegar to put on it, but you could also bring your own - Kraft Italian dressing is DF last time I checked). They also made me salmon cooked in olive oil w/ herbs, and some steamed asparagus in olive oil. It was pretty good.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Treen Bean Apprentice

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Insalata Johnny Rocco! It is A-MAZING! The chicken soup is delicious too!

once and again Rookie

I have had all of the chicken dishes and have trouble deciding which one to order. They are all good. We can also have the steak - I think it's Steak Florentine? without the grill baste.

Did you know that Outback, Carraba's and Bonfish Grill all are connected and allhave =gluten-free menus? I highly recommend Bonefish Grill.

• 1 month later...
Cackleannie Newbie
i second this one, this was my favorite plate before i stopped eating dairy.

my husband rocks, whenever we go to carabbas, he always asks them not to bring any bread (b/c he knows i loved it). i've never had any glutening problems at carabbas (just dairy...).

I know what you mean about the yummy bread! Thought I'd tell you what I do...not nearly as good, but I still get the herbs&olive oil. I take two slices of gluten-free bread along in a sandwich bag. My favorite of all the breads is the rice-pecan...the rice almond isn't bad either. They are made with the brown rice flour, so don't crumble at the slightest touch as do the white rice breads. Even better, if you toast it ( lightly! ) before you go. ( Actually, I always lightly toast my bread before making a sandwich even...it holds together much better, and the toasting enhances the flavor too. )

I never have trouble after eating at Carrabbas...love the house salad!

• 2 weeks later...
Lady Donna Newbie

I too love Carrabas and have never had any issues with G. The last time I was there I had the .......Brian....can't remember the full name. It had goat cheese on it and it was wonderful. If you can eat dairy I would recommend it.

QueenTechnoGeek Newbie

Carabba's is my friend for sure. We all had Chicken Bryan there last night (that's the goat cheese dish). MMMMmmmm. DS2 and I had the gluten-free version (no grill baste). It was just a tad different that the regular, but still very very yummy. I was pleased that the wait staff seemed knowledgeable. Not only did the waiter know what needed to be done for the chicken and the salad, the server who brought the food set the plates down before DS2 and I stating that these were the gluten-free ones.

The only problem I had was heart burn during the night since we ate VERY late and I went to bed as soon as I got home. I know better than that!

• 3 years later...
Lizanne Newbie

I tried Carrabba's for the first time last week since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease. It was one on my favorite places before. I had my old favorite dish - Chicken Marsala which was on their Gluten Free menu. Our waitress was very knowledgable and made me feel comfortable. Food was delicious as usual and I did not get sick. I will continue to dine there.

NGG Newbie

Carrabbas is one of the few places we go when we go out to eat. We have a wild 3-year-old, so it's partly because of her and partly because of the gluten. But I've always had really good luck with them. The one by me is really good about it.

Archived