This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Compulsive Eaters Anonymous

K-so

K-so Newbie

A month ago I started Compulsive Eaters Anonymous. A week later I found out I was full blown Celiac due to my mom's test results. The problem is I am about to add grains back into my diet and the CEA meal plan and celiac disease Sort of cross out items both ways, making my food choices even slimmer. I there anyone that is going through this too, or has already? I would love some feedback, experience, strength and hope.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

curlyfries Contributor

Welcome! :)

I have not had to deal with CEA, but I just wanted to say that there are still a lot of grains you can have on a Celiac diet. Going gluten free could be to your benefit (well, it's to everyone's benefit :P ).....but what I mean is......many people say gluten is highly addictive. I wonder if compulsive eating is or can be controlled to some degree by addictive-type foods? What do the experts say?

K-so Newbie
Welcome! :)

I have not had to deal with CEA, but I just wanted to say that there are still a lot of grains you can have on a Celiac diet. Going gluten free could be to your benefit (well, it's to everyone's benefit :P ).....but what I mean is......many people say gluten is highly addictive. I wonder if compulsive eating is or can be controlled to some degree by addictive-type foods? What do the experts say?

That is one of the main points. Flour and sugar are the biggest offenders. In a couple of days I get to add grains back, just not the way everyone else in the program does. They get to eat ezekiel bread and stuff. On the other hand my mom and sister are celiac and can have flour and sweets. It's sort of a double edged sword right now. I'm looking for someone that gets that, and might have some feedback.

curlyfries Contributor

Well, I'm on a Candida diet (gluten-free too, of course), so no grains or sugar in any form for me :( Not easy, but I've lost a lot of weight, which I needed to do, and I still eat plenty! :)

Stefani Newbie
A month ago I started Compulsive Eaters Anonymous. A week later I found out I was full blown Celiac due to my mom's test results. The problem is I am about to add grains back into my diet and the CEA meal plan and celiac disease Sort of cross out items both ways, making my food choices even slimmer. I there anyone that is going through this too, or has already? I would love some feedback, experience, strength and hope.

I had to google Compulsive Eaters Anonymous - I know of Overeaters Anonymous (OA) but never heard of CEA. I believe its the branch of OA that split off and focused more on the food plan. If you have some questions I might be able to help. Are you following the "gray sheet" or can you tell me more about the CEA diet? If you find it is too restrictive, you can always move over to OA (they follow the AA 12 steps) and follow a diet that is more inline with your needs. OA uses a food plan as a "tool" not as a requirement.

Stefani

K-so Newbie
I had to google Compulsive Eaters Anonymous - I know of Overeaters Anonymous (OA) but never heard of CEA. I believe its the branch of OA that split off and focused more on the food plan. If you have some questions I might be able to help. Are you following the "gray sheet" or can you tell me more about the CEA diet? If you find it is too restrictive, you can always move over to OA (they follow the AA 12 steps) and follow a diet that is more inline with your needs. OA uses a food plan as a "tool" not as a requirement.

Stefani

Its a sister program to OA for sure. The strictness of the meal plans is there to eliminate the worry and obsession of food. Its really been a ton of food, just no snacks. (veggies can be weighed into 8 oz servings) I've lost 20 lb.s in this first month. I feel soooo much better. Really I'm irritated because I can't eat certain things because of the program AND several things because of celiac disease. I need to get creative. Tomorrow is the first day I add grains and some starches back into my diet. Right now I have as options brown rice, Queanwa(sp), and Irish outmeal. My Sponsor has no knowledge of Celiac disease so she doesn't really know how to help. Dido for her sponsor. Looking for recipe ideas, how to stay on my meal plan one day at a time, and just someone that understands. This is the first time I've really been confident about a food program, and i would like to keep it up.

Stefani Newbie
Its a sister program to OA for sure. The strictness of the meal plans is there to eliminate the worry and obsession of food. Its really been a ton of food, just no snacks. (veggies can be weighed into 8 oz servings) I've lost 20 lb.s in this first month. I feel soooo much better. Really I'm irritated because I can't eat certain things because of the program AND several things because of celiac disease. I need to get creative. Tomorrow is the first day I add grains and some starches back into my diet. Right now I have as options brown rice, Queanwa(sp), and Irish outmeal. My Sponsor has no knowledge of Celiac disease so she doesn't really know how to help. Dido for her sponsor. Looking for recipe ideas, how to stay on my meal plan one day at a time, and just someone that understands. This is the first time I've really been confident about a food program, and i would like to keep it up.

My diet consists of breakfast - Bob's Red Mill gluten free hot cereal - yum - and an egg.

Lunch is usually a meat with a bunch of vegetables. I get creative with sauces and have made my own sweet and sour sauce that is really good.

Dinner is a fruit smoothie and a very light meal - usually lunch left overs or a sweet potato.

If your going to add oatmeal back into your diet - beware! Oatmeal has gluten and makes me sick as a dog - however, it seems "some" people can eat it with no problem. I would show your sponsor the Bob's Red Mill and ask if you can do that in place of the oatmeal and quinoa.

Here is a link to all the Bob's Red Mill cereals -

Open Original Shared Link

I use the "Mighty Tasty" one - cause it is mighty tasty. They also have some rice cereals.

My suggestion - since your sponsor does not have a full understanding of Celiac, I would hire a nutritionist to develop and eating plan for you that conforms to CEA standards. And in the mean time - ask your Higher Power for guidance on what to do .... and follow your gut instinct. If something a sponsor suggests seems wrong or misguided, it probably is. There have been instances of well meaning sponsors almost killing a sponsee with the wrong diet. Sponsors are often well intentioned, but usually lack a nutritional degree. I would seek outside help with this.

Just like with your 12 step program - your dietary changes for Celiac are for life. We are so lucky that in this day and age there are so many gluten free products out there. Keep searching for recipes - there are thousands out there on the net. And Good Luck!!

Stefani

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

K-so Newbie
My diet consists of breakfast - Bob's Red Mill gluten free hot cereal - yum - and an egg.

Lunch is usually a meat with a bunch of vegetables. I get creative with sauces and have made my own sweet and sour sauce that is really good.

Dinner is a fruit smoothie and a very light meal - usually lunch left overs or a sweet potato.

If your going to add oatmeal back into your diet - beware! Oatmeal has gluten and makes me sick as a dog - however, it seems "some" people can eat it with no problem. I would show your sponsor the Bob's Red Mill and ask if you can do that in place of the oatmeal and quinoa.

Here is a link to all the Bob's Red Mill cereals -

I use the "Mighty Tasty" one - cause it is mighty tasty. They also have some rice cereals.

My suggestion - since your sponsor does not have a full understanding of Celiac, I would hire a nutritionist to develop and eating plan for you that conforms to CEA standards. And in the mean time - ask your Higher Power for guidance on what to do .... and follow your gut instinct. If something a sponsor suggests seems wrong or misguided, it probably is. There have been instances of well meaning sponsors almost killing a sponsee with the wrong diet. Sponsors are often well intentioned, but usually lack a nutritional degree. I would seek outside help with this.

Just like with your 12 step program - your dietary changes for Celiac are for life. We are so lucky that in this day and age there are so many gluten free products out there. Keep searching for recipes - there are thousands out there on the net. And Good Luck!!

Stefani

Brown rice, Quinoa, and and Irish oatmeal are the things i can eat that are gluten free, but thats kinda it. Thank you for the support. Most of the gluten free products have some sort of sugar or flour in them so they're out. Thats why I keep looking for alternatives. Guess I'm just obsessing on this. I eat alot of veggies and I think thats going to have to do. Thank you so much for your input. A nutritionist is not financially possible so I learn what I can from my mom and sister, they both have nutritionists.

Again thank you so much!

jnclelland Contributor
Brown rice, Quinoa, and and Irish oatmeal are the things i can eat that are gluten free, but thats kinda it. Thank you for the support. Most of the gluten free products have some sort of sugar or flour in them so they're out. Thats why I keep looking for alternatives. Guess I'm just obsessing on this. I eat alot of veggies and I think thats going to have to do. Thank you so much for your input. A nutritionist is not financially possible so I learn what I can from my mom and sister, they both have nutritionists.

Again thank you so much!

Is brown rice allowed on the CEA plan? That's my primary grain these days. Quinoa is great, too, and very versatile. I also eat sweet potatoes for carbs when I want a bit more variety.

It's wonderful that you've found so much recovery through CEA - I'll just reiterate the suggestion that if you do end up finding the CEA food plan to be incompatible with your celiac needs, OA offers all the same 12-step benefits and a lot more flexibility in choosing a food plan. That doesn't mean that you can't have a plan with as much structure as you need, just that YOU get to choose what works for you.

Good luck getting it all figure out! :)

Jeanne

curlyfries Contributor

Sorry no one has shown up that's going through the same thing as you. I know what you really wanted was someone to commiserate with ;)

Stefani Newbie

Again thank you so much!

That's why i sent you the LINK to bobs red mill in an earlier post - they have a BROWN RICE cereal. Ingredients: organic whole grain brown rice

Bob's Red Mill cereals don't have sugar in them.

K-so Newbie
Is brown rice allowed on the CEA plan? That's my primary grain these days. Quinoa is great, too, and very versatile. I also eat sweet potatoes for carbs when I want a bit more variety.

It's wonderful that you've found so much recovery through CEA - I'll just reiterate the suggestion that if you do end up finding the CEA food plan to be incompatible with your celiac needs, OA offers all the same 12-step benefits and a lot more flexibility in choosing a food plan. That doesn't mean that you can't have a plan with as much structure as you need, just that YOU get to choose what works for you.

Good luck getting it all figure out! :)

Jeanne

Yeah! Brown rice seems to be the way to go, as long as it is not in flour form.

K-so Newbie
That's why i sent you the LINK to bobs red mill in an earlier post - they have a BROWN RICE cereal. Ingredients: organic whole grain brown rice

Bob's Red Mill cereals don't have sugar in them.

OK gtcha now. Im slow sometimes. This is perfect! Lots of choices for breakfast. Buckwheat, rice, this is a good start. I'll see if whole Foods carries these. Yeah!

K-so Newbie
Sorry no one has shown up that's going through the same thing as you. I know what you really wanted was someone to commiserate with ;)

This is good too. Even though my sister has dealt with celiac disease for at least a year now she is tired of giving my mom and I tips. So I really appreciate the comments.

julirama723 Contributor

I wish I were more knowledgeable about OA and CEA so I could offer more help!

Are you limited in some way by how often you can eat the grains, serving sizes, grams of carbohydrates, calories? When you add foods, are you watching for previous symptoms? Are you adding foods back slowly? (I'm very curious about the plan. :))

I can't eat rice (or any other grains...) but I DO love me some quinoa! (My body handles it well, but I don't think it's actually a grain...maybe someone can clarify?) Since I can't do rice, I make Mexican quinoa which is GREAT--I make mine with TONS of veggies, and it's a very healthy dish. My fiance even likes Mexican quinoa better than Mexican rice! Who woulda thought?

Another thought is to add said grains to other dishes. Maybe you add rice or quinoa to soup, so it's a textural bonus, but not an overload of grains at one time. Or, add lots of finely-chopped cooked veggies to the rice or quinoa. Have a stirfry, and eat it over brown rice.

Just a few thoughts!

K-so Newbie
I wish I were more knowledgeable about OA and CEA so I could offer more help!

Are you limited in some way by how often you can eat the grains, serving sizes, grams of carbohydrates, calories? When you add foods, are you watching for previous symptoms? Are you adding foods back slowly? (I'm very curious about the plan. :))

I can't eat rice (or any other grains...) but I DO love me some quinoa! (My body handles it well, but I don't think it's actually a grain...maybe someone can clarify?) Since I can't do rice, I make Mexican quinoa which is GREAT--I make mine with TONS of veggies, and it's a very healthy dish. My fiance even likes Mexican quinoa better than Mexican rice! Who woulda thought?

Another thought is to add said grains to other dishes. Maybe you add rice or quinoa to soup, so it's a textural bonus, but not an overload of grains at one time. Or, add lots of finely-chopped cooked veggies to the rice or quinoa. Have a stirfry, and eat it over brown rice.

Just a few thoughts!

I get to add specific starches and carb/grains back to brkfst and lunch. A half cup generally. As long as it is not flour its ok but most people add whole wheat products and sprouted breads.

I'll try the veggies in the rice thing. That sounds interesting, along with the Mex. Quinoa! I need some flavor and variaty. I pretty much have to eat 2.5# of veggies a day so getting a bit creative would be nice. Thanks for the feedback!

julirama723 Contributor

That's 2.5 cups measured raw, correct? That's nothin'--I'm sure you'd get that much in a serving of Mexican quinoa!

I'll go ahead and give the recipe, sorry it's not very exact!

INGREDIENTS:

1 box of quinoa

2 bell peppers (any color, though green work the best because they're not sweet)

1 or 2 jalapenos

1 onion (if you're not an onion fan, reduce this to 1/2 an onion)

6 cloves garlic

2 tbsp olive oil

pureed roma tomatoes (I usually start with about 10 of them, but add more to get the right consistency)

chicken broth/stock

1 tbsp cumin

1/2 tbsp chili powder

salt and pepper

1. Put olive oil in a pan, set burner to med/high. In a food processor, combine jalapenos, bell peppers, onion, garlic and process until finely chopped, add to pan. Add box of quinoa. Set burner to high. Cook until onions are translucent. (WARNING, don't let the steam get in your eyes or you'll start crying!)

2. Turn heat down to medium. Puree tomatoes and add to quinoa mix. If it seems too "dry" puree more tomatoes. (You can also used canned tomatoes, but I think fresh is always best!) Mixture should be thick and moist.

3. Add chicken broth until "soupy". Turn burner to low. Add seasonings. The quinoa will cook and expand. Feel free to add more broth/stock if it soaks up too quickly. Let it cook for at least 15-20 minutes. Quinoa is done with it unravels and the "tails" are visible. It should also be translucent.

---------------------

I know this isn't a grains/starches food, but if you're looking for a creative (and tasty) way to get more veggies in, try some pumpkin! Buy the canned pumpkin puree (NOT the pie mix, that has added junk)--look for Libby's 100% pure pumpkin. I love to eat this for breakfast (and as a side dish at dinner, heck it's good any time of the day) and it's quick to prepare. You can prepare the whole can and once, or divide it into 3 servings.

1. Dump can of pumpkin in a bowl.

2. Add cinnamon and nutmeg to your tastes. You can also add sweetener if you like (I use stevia or honey.)

3. If you can eat dairy, you can also add 1 oz. of cream cheese per serving.

4. Heat in the microwave until warm and cheese is melted. Mix well.

5. OPTIONAL--top with chopped walnuts, almonds, or pecans.

-------------------

Another creative idea is mashed cauliflower. I can't eat potatoes, so this is a REAL treat!

I just buy frozen cauliflower (it never goes bad!) and cook it in a large dish in the microwave until hot and tender. Then I toss it into the food processor. I'm DF so I add Earth Balance as a butter sub. If you're not DF, you could add butter or sour cream or yogurt to make it creamier. After it's processed, put it into a bowl, and add salt, pepper, parsley, chives, garlic, onion, etc. You could also add a bit of cheese. (Adding all that stuff makes them seem like twice baked potatoes or "fancy" mashed potatoes.) Heat once again in the microwave. Top with butter if you like.

I have TONS of veggie ideas, if you want more, let me know!

K-so Newbie
That's 2.5 cups measured raw, correct? That's nothin'--I'm sure you'd get that much in a serving of Mexican quinoa!

I'll go ahead and give the recipe, sorry it's not very exact!

INGREDIENTS:

1 box of quinoa

2 bell peppers (any color, though green work the best because they're not sweet)

1 or 2 jalapenos

1 onion (if you're not an onion fan, reduce this to 1/2 an onion)

6 cloves garlic

2 tbsp olive oil

pureed roma tomatoes (I usually start with about 10 of them, but add more to get the right consistency)

chicken broth/stock

1 tbsp cumin

1/2 tbsp chili powder

salt and pepper

1. Put olive oil in a pan, set burner to med/high. In a food processor, combine jalapenos, bell peppers, onion, garlic and process until finely chopped, add to pan. Add box of quinoa. Set burner to high. Cook until onions are translucent. (WARNING, don't let the steam get in your eyes or you'll start crying!)

2. Turn heat down to medium. Puree tomatoes and add to quinoa mix. If it seems too "dry" puree more tomatoes. (You can also used canned tomatoes, but I think fresh is always best!) Mixture should be thick and moist.

3. Add chicken broth until "soupy". Turn burner to low. Add seasonings. The quinoa will cook and expand. Feel free to add more broth/stock if it soaks up too quickly. Let it cook for at least 15-20 minutes. Quinoa is done with it unravels and the "tails" are visible. It should also be translucent.

---------------------

I know this isn't a grains/starches food, but if you're looking for a creative (and tasty) way to get more veggies in, try some pumpkin! Buy the canned pumpkin puree (NOT the pie mix, that has added junk)--look for Libby's 100% pure pumpkin. I love to eat this for breakfast (and as a side dish at dinner, heck it's good any time of the day) and it's quick to prepare. You can prepare the whole can and once, or divide it into 3 servings.

1. Dump can of pumpkin in a bowl.

2. Add cinnamon and nutmeg to your tastes. You can also add sweetener if you like (I use stevia or honey.)

3. If you can eat dairy, you can also add 1 oz. of cream cheese per serving.

4. Heat in the microwave until warm and cheese is melted. Mix well.

5. OPTIONAL--top with chopped walnuts, almonds, or pecans.

-------------------

Another creative idea is mashed cauliflower. I can't eat potatoes, so this is a REAL treat!

I just buy frozen cauliflower (it never goes bad!) and cook it in a large dish in the microwave until hot and tender. Then I toss it into the food processor. I'm DF so I add Earth Balance as a butter sub. If you're not DF, you could add butter or sour cream or yogurt to make it creamier. After it's processed, put it into a bowl, and add salt, pepper, parsley, chives, garlic, onion, etc. You could also add a bit of cheese. (Adding all that stuff makes them seem like twice baked potatoes or "fancy" mashed potatoes.) Heat once again in the microwave. Top with butter if you like.

I have TONS of veggie ideas, if you want more, let me know!

K-so Newbie

Actually, its 2.5 pounds of veggies a day. Its no joke, so any good veggie recipes would be most appreciated!

K-so Newbie

Thank you soo much for the veggie ideas! they sound great! I will try them this weekend.

julirama723 Contributor

Oh duh, 2.5#, I mis-read that! Geez, that IS a lot of veggies!

Other ideas:

Broccoli slaw (I like this better than cole slaw)

Fake cinnamon apples (made with chayote squash) Here's the recipe: Open Original Shared Link

Daikon oven-roasted "potato" slices

Jicama slices (it tastes sort of like an upripe pear or apple)

I'm also a big veggie fan. I try to incorporate them into everything. When I make omelets, I put in a whole bell pepper and tons of onions, and top it with avocado slices.

Do you like salsa? I make my own fresh, it's super easy and FULL of healthy nutrients! I combine roma tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, onion, garlic, green onion, fresh-squeezed lime juice and sea salt. Just dump it into the processor and voila! I put this on taco salads, on eggs, on chicken, on burgers. I also make fresh guacamole. (Not sure if that figures into your veggie counts for the day.)

• 4 months later...
one more mile Contributor

Does CEA have a national office? I would ask them. Also ask them how they deal with food allergies but still have you eating on plan.

There is a whole wide world out there of non gluten grains. I would suspect that those would be ok for you but ask national or someone that has long term recovery.

Personally I would find it hard to binge on Gluten free bread. It just does not have the" magic" that regular bread does. I believe that gluten is crack for me today I eat a little and want a ton more, no mater how sick I get from it. Does gluten behave like a drug or trigger for you?

Much of recovery was about my relationship to food and not just what type of food it was. I could eat carrots but If i was hiding them around the house and getting mad because someone else ate the last one then I had a problem.

I was in OA for a few years along time ago and still use much of the 12 step ideals with my food. Oa was much more flexible and it was up to me to figure out what triggered me. Sadly I did not understand gluten at the time.

tarnalberry Community Regular

besides brown rice, quinoa, and oatmeal (if you don't react to it), other gluten free grains you could add are:

millet

amaranth

teff

sorgum

wild rice

buckwheat

(most of these are not technically grains, but are treated as such for most food purposes)

also, I'm not sure I'm clear on the purpose of the flour restriction. if it's to avoid *refined* flours, that's one thing, but if it's just "the grain is fine, but once you grind it up, it's not"... well... I guess we're not supposed to chew our food? (yeah, yeah, I'm being a bit facetious, but it doesn't make sense to me.) the reason I bring it up, is because most of those gluten free grains can be found as whole grain (unrefined) flours as well. (if it's to avoid sweets, which are usually made with flours... then I understand the intent, but maintain it's silly wording. :) )

Archived