This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hypothyroidism; High Cholesterol

PinkLady

PinkLady Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the leads on the North Shore...so far not coming up with a lot, but will keep trying. QUESTION: Has anyone here had hypothyroid numbers at same tme as being dx'd w/ celiac? I was dx'd a week and a half a go and when I met with the dr. today he

informed me that my TSH was low indicating possible hypothyroidism (as well as WAY TOO HIGH CHOLESTEROL -223). Is it possible to

recover from hypothyroid on a gluten free diet? Also, does anyone know if high cholesterol is at all linked to celiac? I exercise and

eat right (sounds like a geritol commercial (if hyou are old enough to remembr!) Thanks :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

neesee Apprentice

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism first... my TSH was 44.3. Do you know what your HDL and LDL numbers are? If your HDL, for example, is 80 then your total cholesterol is not that bad.

My cholesterol has always been really low... probably because of the malabsorption. I had to eat a lot of healthy fats (fish, flax oil, nuts, olive oil) just to get my HDL up to 50. I'm planning to have another complete physical this summer, so we'll see what the numbers look like :)

Roda Rising Star

[quote name=PinkLady' date='Jan 27 2009, 11:50 PM' post='505992]

Hi,

Thanks for the leads on the North Shore...so far not coming up with a lot, but will keep trying. QUESTION: Has anyone here had hypothyroid numbers at same tme as being dx'd w/ celiac? I was dx'd a week and a half a go and when I met with the dr. today he

informed me that my TSH was low indicating possible hypothyroidism (as well as WAY TOO HIGH CHOLESTEROL -223). Is it possible to

recover from hypothyroid on a gluten free diet? Also, does anyone know if high cholesterol is at all linked to celiac? I exercise and

eat right (sounds like a geritol commercial (if hyou are old enough to remembr!) Thanks :D

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

When I was dx'd with celiac, my cholesterol was in the normal range but toward the high normal. I was then dx'd with hypothyroid about 6 months later.

PinkLady Newbie
When I was dx'd with celiac, my cholesterol was in the normal range but toward the high normal. I was then dx'd with hypothyroid about 6 months later.

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for your reply...so how long have you been dx/d with celiac disease? And, is the hypothyroid reversible? Or are you on medication

i.e. synthroid? And, how do you feel now? Are you tired or were you tired? Has your cholesterol improved or has it goten higher? Mine

is 223! Looking ofrward to hearing from you.

Pink Lady :)

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

Hi Pink Lady. I was dx'd with celiac the end of February, '08 so almost one year. I don't think hypothyroid is reversible, but my dose is less now than previously. I take Armour thyroid and a compounded T3. I wanted my meds to be natural if possible. It's really a personal choice and what works for you. I feel so much better and am not nearly as tired!

My cholesterol and tryglicerides have gotten better since going gluten free. My overall number is about the same but my HDL's have gone up from 42 to now 54. Hopefully they will get even better. My triglycerides have come way down. They had elevated to 209 and are now only 89.

Also, if possible, have your doctor check your Free T3 and Free T4. TSH doesn't always depict the whole picture. You should post your numbers. There are so many people on the forum that know a whole lot more about thyroid problems than I do.

You can pm me if you have any questions. If you are hypo, definitely get on the meds.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Di-gfree Apprentice
Hi,

Hi Pink Lady, I'm pretty sure, if you have *hypo*thyroidism, your TSH would be high (I know mine was when I was diagnosed with Hashimotos). It's *very* important, since celiac is an auto-immune disease, that you test for thyroid anti-bodies (Free T3 and Free T4, too, as was mentioned) because it is more likely that none us has just *one* auto-immune disease, at least that's what I've read. iow, if you have celiac, you are more prone to having more auto-immune disorders. And, it is a very good idea to test for Hashimotos if you find out you have celiac. I wish I knew this years ago...

If you have thyroid anti-bodies, this means there is an auto-immune attack on the thyroid, causing hypothyroidism, usually. Actually, Hashi's can swing between hypo and hyper. Then, you'll have to go on thyroid hormone replacement. And, no, a gluten-free diet, on its own, will not lead to a recovery for thyroid issues.

High cholesterol is one of the symptoms that some people have with hypothyroidism, by the way. You 'may' find that this improves if/when you go on hormone replacement, if that is required. (I prefer natural, desiccated thyroid hormone, too.) Good luck. :)

Dianne

georgie Enthusiast
A "low" TSH indicates hyperthyroid or overactive. A "high" TSH indicates hypothyroid or underactive. The TSH is inversely proportional. If your thyroid is not producing enough hormones (hypo) then TSH, which is produced in the pitituary gland, elevates to stimulate the thyroid into producing hormones. The reverse is true for hyperthyroid. Mind you I'm not a professional this is just how, in simple terms, I understand it.

But it is also possible to be HypoThyroid ( low ) when the TSH is low. This happens when the Pituitary is no longer working correctly. Not many Drs know this - so it is great that PinkLady's Dr seems to know.

I was dx with HypoThyroid and Coeliac at almost the same time. My Cholesterol was also high normal and Dr still uses that as a guide to how my Thyroid meds are going - even now. High Cholesterol goes with HypoThyroid. When you are on the correct Thyroid meds ( usually Armour ) then the Cholesterol will go down. Try to find a Dr that uses Armour and also gives you enough - ie until all symptoms disappear. Have your FREE T4 and FREE T3 and Thyroid Antibodies been tested ? Have you been tested for any other Pituitary hormone failures ( cortisol, testosterone, oestrogen, DHEA, Growth Hormone ). Have you had a dynamic Pituitary MRI ( with and without contrast) to look for Pituitary tumours ? www.pituitary.org has a lot of good info.

Di-gfree Apprentice

Oops, that's correct, you can have hypothyroidism with a low tsh - I think it's called Hypopituitary (?); and yes, you should get your pituitary checked out. Even with a high tsh, I still have to get my pituitary looked at because I have high prolactin (which is another test you can probably add to your list, PinkLady).

Another indication of a malfunctioning pituitary gland is when your TSH is normal (between 0.3 and 3.0), but your T4 and T3 are below normal. If your TSH and your T4 are fine but your T3 is too low, that means your body is having a problem converting T4 (the storage hormone) to T3 (the active hormone). Selenium can help. You could also try one of the alternative thyroid medications like Armour or cytomel. Synthroid (levothyroxine) only gives you T4. but these others give you a dose of T3.

Personally... I only take a moderate dose of levothyroxine. I also replenished my stores of selenium by eating brazil nuts (just a couple of raw, organic nuts each day). Between the hormones and the gluten-free, dairy-free, corn-free diet, it still took about four months to get rid of most of my symptoms. I know it's hard to be patient :(

num1habsfan Rising Star

Just to chime in to an interesting point: I didn't get hypothyroidism until June/07...and got Celiac in January/03. I've been on Synthroid ever since being diagnosed, and they've never had to alter my dosage level (thankfully!). I'm still always having the symptoms though....

loxleynew Apprentice

I was curious after reading all these posts. I think I have some kind of hypothyroid or hashis going on beside my gluten intolerance. I know I only have gluten intolerance but maybe it's linked somehow ;? After being gluten free most of my symptoms are gone beside anxiety/bloating/depression. I have tested my TSH and such and it was kindve high, around 6.9. The previous time it was 4.9. However my free T3 and T4 were both high normal. I did present with antibodies for the thyroid though. Think this would be why I still have lingering symptoms? I could be hypo or hashi?

For all of you diagnosed with Hypo, how is your weight before being diagnosed? I was always told you cannot have hypothyroidism if you were underweight (which I am). This kindve contradicts with celiac because most people with celiac are underweight.

Thanks!

I was curious after reading all these posts. I think I have some kind of hypothyroid or hashis going on beside my gluten intolerance. I know I only have gluten intolerance but maybe it's linked somehow ;? After being gluten free most of my symptoms are gone beside anxiety/bloating/depression. I have tested my TSH and such and it was kindve high, around 6.9. The previous time it was 4.9. However my free T3 and T4 were both high normal. I did present with antibodies for the thyroid though. Think this would be why I still have lingering symptoms? I could be hypo or hashi?

For all of you diagnosed with Hypo, how is your weight before being diagnosed? I was always told you cannot have hypothyroidism if you were underweight (which I am). This kindve contradicts with celiac because most people with celiac are underweight.

Thanks!

To answer your questions...

6.9 is definitely out of range for TSH. Normal is 0.3 to 3.0. If you have anti-thyroid antibodies then you DO have an autoimmune thyroid disorder. Sometimes your TSH can jump around (even swing between hyper and hypo) while your thyroid is being destroyed. IMO, the best thing you could do is to get an appointment with a good endocrinologist... one who will pay attention to your symptoms and not just treat you based on whatever your numbers are that day.

That being said... I can't eat corn (or any processed foods with corn) because it gives me gas and bloating. Vitamin D helped a LOT to improve my moods. I've been taking 4,000iu per day for the last few months and I don't feel even remotely depressed :D

I was slightly overweight when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's, but you can definitely have celiac AND Hashimoto's... so then your weight can be deceiving. When my thyroid problems started (back in high school) I was a skinny, three-sport athlete... it took a while for my weight to creep up. Since I changed my diet and started taking thyroid hormones I've lost 30 pounds.

PinkLady Newbie

:)

To answer your questions...

6.9 is definitely out of range for TSH. Normal is 0.3 to 3.0. If you have anti-thyroid antibodies then you DO have an autoimmune thyroid disorder. Sometimes your TSH can jump around (even swing between hyper and hypo) while your thyroid is being destroyed. IMO, the best thing you could do is to get an appointment with a good endocrinologist... one who will pay attention to your symptoms and not just treat you based on whatever your numbers are that day.

That being said... I can't eat corn (or any processed foods with corn) because it gives me gas and bloating. Vitamin D helped a LOT to improve my moods. I've been taking 4,000iu per day for the last few months and I don't feel even remotely depressed :D

I was slightly overweight when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's, but you can definitely have celiac AND Hashimoto's... so then your weight can be deceiving. When my thyroid problems started (back in high school) I was a skinny, three-sport athlete... it took a while for my weight to creep up. Since I changed my diet and started taking thyroid hormones I've lost 30 pounds.

loxleynew Apprentice

Just to update I saw my new endo yesterday. She looked at the results and said I have mild Hypo with celiac disease. Also along with the hypothyroid is hashimotos. Lucky me! J/k but at least it's all treatable. Like how when you get one auto immune disease it usually comes in twos? Anyways she said the celiac was most likely why I couldn't gain weight being hypo as well.

At least Ive figured all this out hopefully.

Di-gfree Apprentice

I was first diagnosed with celiac, then over a decade later, Hashimoto's (I think I've had the Hashimoto's most of my life); and I've always been thin. I have a very hard time gaining weight, but an extremely easy time losing weight.

A couple people exclaimed surprise when I told them that I'm hypothyroid because, yes, the belief is that you're supposed to be overweight. I think my chronic thin-ness is linked to adrenal and other hormonal issues, along with the celiac and Hashimoto's. Because, usually, when we have Hashimoto's and Celiac, our adrenals are most likely not working optimally, and I bet most of us have other 'screwed up' hormones. It never seems to be as simple as 'just' having Celiac and Hashimoto's.

Lovey25 Rookie
Hi,

Hi there. I have a hypothyroid (it's actually the autoimmune Hashimoto's) and was diagnosed in June 2007. About a year before the thyroid diagnosis, my cholesterol was very high (for a college student) and the Dr. of course didn't think to test me for any sort of disease at the time (what a great guy).

In regards to you asking about recovering from thyroid disease... (drum roll please) .....

Now, I can't say this is 100% for all people. But I can say ALOT of people DO recover from ANY chronic illness once going on a high-nutrient diet (that would coincidentally be gluten-free/allergen-free). For example, it has been proven that people can cure Diabetes through all raw diets. The same is true for thyroid disease. I'm not saying all people will have the same result and I'm not saying that it's guaranteed. Alot of people find a raw diet unhealthy or unfounded. But actually, you can get all of the vitamins, minerals, enzymes, nutrients, protein, calcium, iron, carbs, good fats/omega-3's, etc. from a raw diet. The thing that makes this diet so effective is that it floods your system with nutrients. Where there is a deficiency in nutrients, there is often an accompanied disease.

For more info on it, Google "raw food diet" and Google "heal Diabetes with raw food". There are so many firtshand testimonials from people who did cure their disease. And, conseqently, they lose weight and get their cholesterol and other levels in range, and also feel better than they ever have in their life (of course on a raw diet, there's an even less chance of ingesting something you're allergic to).

Again, I don't say this to get your hopes up, but so so many people DO cure their chronic illness, even though it is not true for everyone. Also, something like that requires a HUGE commitment and most people just don't have the time or energy. I'm actually currently eating about 85% raw and feel amazing. I'm working hard to alleviate/potentially eliminate my thyroid disease and the terrible terrible Candida that I have grown to despise. :angry:

If you've ever watched the show Top Chef, you may be familiar with natural chef Andrea Beaman. She had thyroid disease and she cured it twice through Macrobiotics (which isn't all raw). So, it is possible.

There are so many "alternative" healing modalities that can help, ease, or maybe even cure. :D

PinkLady Newbie
:)

tHANKS FOR THE ADVICE, I GUESS I WILL ASK AROUND TO SEE WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS ANYONE HAS FOR THE NORTH SHORE, MA. FOR ENDOCRINOLOGISTS! DO YOU THINK AN ENDOSCOPY IS IMPORTANT?

PinkLady Newbie
Hi there. I have a hypothyroid (it's actually the autoimmune Hashimoto's) and was diagnosed in June 2007. About a year before the thyroid diagnosis, my cholesterol was very high (for a college student) and the Dr. of course didn't think to test me for any sort of disease at the time (what a great guy).

In regards to you asking about recovering from thyroid disease... (drum roll please) .....

Now, I can't say this is 100% for all people. But I can say ALOT of people DO recover from ANY chronic illness once going on a high-nutrient diet (that would coincidentally be gluten-free/allergen-free). For example, it has been proven that people can cure Diabetes through all raw diets. The same is true for thyroid disease. I'm not saying all people will have the same result and I'm not saying that it's guaranteed. Alot of people find a raw diet unhealthy or unfounded. But actually, you can get all of the vitamins, minerals, enzymes, nutrients, protein, calcium, iron, carbs, good fats/omega-3's, etc. from a raw diet. The thing that makes this diet so effective is that it floods your system with nutrients. Where there is a deficiency in nutrients, there is often an accompanied disease.

For more info on it, Google "raw food diet" and Google "heal Diabetes with raw food". There are so many firtshand testimonials from people who did cure their disease. And, conseqently, they lose weight and get their cholesterol and other levels in range, and also feel better than they ever have in their life (of course on a raw diet, there's an even less chance of ingesting something you're allergic to).

Again, I don't say this to get your hopes up, but so so many people DO cure their chronic illness, even though it is not true for everyone. Also, something like that requires a HUGE commitment and most people just don't have the time or energy. I'm actually currently eating about 85% raw and feel amazing. I'm working hard to alleviate/potentially eliminate my thyroid disease and the terrible terrible Candida that I have grown to despise. :angry:

If you've ever watched the show Top Chef, you may be familiar with natural chef Andrea Beaman. She had thyroid disease and she cured it twice through Macrobiotics (which isn't all raw). So, it is possible.

There are so many "alternative" healing modalities that can help, ease, or maybe even cure. :D

Thanks for the info...I AM encouraged that it is possible to recover form hypothyroidism..How do you

KNOW you have Hashimoto"s? Does he endocrinologist do a special test? Thanks

pink Lady

loxleynew Apprentice
Thanks for the info...I AM encouraged that it is possible to recover form hypothyroidism..How do you

KNOW you have Hashimoto"s? Does he endocrinologist do a special test? Thanks

pink Lady

Basically to get diagnosed with hashimotos you have to be tested for antibodies attacking the thyroid. It's just a blood test and if those are present depending which antibodies you have, and symptoms ect, you either have hashimotos or graves disease. Should always test for antibodies when testing TSH free t3, t4 levels.

pele Rookie

Hi everyone

I just read through the thread and a couple of things come to mind.

First I have heard that hypothyroidism can lead to high cholesterol.

Second, why, Pink Lady, do you think your numbers are high? Apparently there is NO LINK between high cholesterol in women of any age and heart disease. There are many folks out there who believe the whole cholesterol thing is just a way to sell statin drugs. And that cholesterol is a necessary, healing substance in the body produced to repair damage and build hormones.

If anyone out there knows a lot about this, I hope you chime in here.

My own story:

Diagnosed hypothyroid 30 years ago. I was skinny at the time. Figured out the gluten thing two years ago. Lately I have been switching and adjusting thyroid meds, and had been feeling quite hypo, with low T3 numbers. At the same time, my cholesterol numbers were a whole lot higher than yours!

I recently switched to Armour and have doubled the dose, feel better but still tired in the afternoon.

In my case, I am afraid it is far to late to heal my thyroid with diet. I think 28 years of synthetic hormones finished off whatever the gluten didn't get.

Also, I recommend reading stopthethyroidmadness.com

Archived