Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Oddest Reaction To Gluten?

15 posts in this topic

Thought this might be interesting...

Who here has the strangest reaction to gluten?

I think I rank up there and its an odd one.

I didn't really put it together until I had my last gluten incident but...and trust me, this is strange...

When I've had gluten, been glutened and the few weeks following recovery...

I look at the clock, two times a day, when its exactlty 9:11.

I don't care if I'm in the car, at the house, hell a few times I've even checked the guide for whats coming up on TV, and its 9:11.

I have no reason to look at the clock, but I'll always look at one, computer, laptop, you name it, at 9:11.

Religiously...2 times per day, ever day.

I can be in the middle deep thought and I'll stop, look at the clock, and its 9:11.

No gluten, no checking the time...and its never 9:11.

If I look at a clock 10 times a day, 2 of those times, without fail, it will be 9:11.

Anyone else have an oddity like that? BTW, I'm not joking around at all, dead serious. It freaked me out for a while :)

Ads by Google:
I can be in the middle deep thought and I'll stop, look at the clock, and its 9:11.

Wow, totally weird. I don't know what to make of it, but it is an interesting thing to track. And why 9:11 (also bringing up references to September 11th).

is it possible that 9.11 is the time at which you consumed gluten???

Wow, totally weird. I don't know what to make of it, but it is an interesting thing to track. And why 9:11 (also bringing up references to September 11th).

Or maybe a reference to emergency - 911

I've had weird things like that happen to me, but I just started the diet so haven't been glutened yet. I'll see what happens.

.....life can be so strange....

:rolleyes::blink::rolleyes:

I don't know why its only 9:11...no reference to anything else in my life, September 11th or otherwise.

Even when I was almost completely better, I'd still look up at the clock at 9:11.

The only reason I posted this was I was glutened about a month ago, and for two weeks after I went through the whole 9:11 thing...it had been so long I forgot about it.

I don't know why its only 9:11...no reference to anything else in my life, September 11th or otherwise.

Maybe the number itself has no significance, other than it's a number that makes you notice it. Maybe the whole point is that you take notice.

When I notice stuff like that, it gives me faith that there's more going on here than meets the eye. And that helps me get through difficult times.

:)

Haha...awesome :P:D

:o Eric_C - please check your private messages (e-mail) Thanks, MrsG

:o

Thought this might be interesting...

Who here has the strangest reaction to gluten?

I think I rank up there and its an odd one.

I didn't really put it together until I had my last gluten incident but...and trust me, this is strange...

When I've had gluten, been glutened and the few weeks following recovery...

I look at the clock, two times a day, when its exactlty 9:11.

I don't care if I'm in the car, at the house, hell a few times I've even checked the guide for whats coming up on TV, and its 9:11.

I have no reason to look at the clock, but I'll always look at one, computer, laptop, you name it, at 9:11.

Religiously...2 times per day, ever day.

If I look at a clock 10 times a day, 2 of those times, without fail, it will be 9:11.

Anyone else have an oddity like that? BTW, I'm not joking around at all, dead serious. It freaked me out for a while :)

:o

Eric_C,

I too, have this reaction! When I read your post, I was in shock! I saw this time only on the clock and I saw it 2 times a day BEFORE my official diagnosis. When I saw this time on the clock - I would get sick. I saw it for about 7 months before I even told my husband that something is just not right. I stopped seeing it for a few weeks now and then, however, It has been a year and I am now starting to see it again, not to mention I have new symptoms. I cannot relate this time with anything either. It only recently hit me that my official dx date was on Sept, 11 - this is the day that they gave me the news. I got worse and the Dr. that gave me this info was a GI that did not help me at all. At first, I was ok then- I became worse (I vomit when glutened). My husband searched for Dr. Gary Gray at Stanford Medical who gave me second testing and guess what? Anti-bodies where so high that he could not understand if I have been on this diet as they call it - I should be better. Now, I am still very carefull (own microwave, fridge - you name it) Yet its like starting all over again.

I do not know what to say to this. Only that I completley understand the strange behavior and I am so fustrated, as I do not look at the clock on purpose - I feel maybe it is a warning like "Emergency something bad is going to happen to you". Please, keep me posted on your findings as I will do the same. May the Lord help us, MrsG

OMG! Before I eliminated gluten, I looked at the clock every hour at 11 minutes past, 3:11, then 4:11, etc. from the first hour I was awake until going to bed. I told my pastor, thinking God was trying to tell me something, only to be met with a confused look and no explanation. LOL I had totally forgotten that until now! Wow, there has to be a connection somewhere!

Here is something not quite the same as the clock watching, But I also have noticed a dramatic change.

Before going Gluten free, my mind was always in fog and had headaches and at times thought I was going crazy. But I was astonished that I could predict things. I did seem to have a sixth sense, very strong intuition or what ever you might want to call it?

And I would get these premonitions, normaly when my mind was blank while doing the washing up, or sitting quietly. It was like a little voice that would say...

things such as ....

Watch out , in the next couple of days you will have a flat tyre, beware...

or a certain person has died...

or a family member is quite ill, you need to call them...

Or your son will have problems with an accident with his knee..

Or you are going to win a certain competition

Or you need to act fast to defuse a problem that is about to occur,

It would amaze my son and husband and friends, at how perceptive I always was. And they all just knew that if I said something was going to happen, they really knew it would come true!...

Although it was only major things I would tell them about, because I would get rather concerned and I always knew I couldn't change the outcome by saying it out loud, and I would also frett about that!

But constantly there were lots of minor things that I never mentioned out loud, that would happen.

But since going Gluten free, I don't seem to get these messages any more?

I was so use to having them all the time, that it really did become part of my life.

But now that my mind is fresher ("fresher", thats the word I use, and my thinking is clearer, and no longer have headaches)... and I no longer have the clouded brain and heavy doom and gloom enveloping my thinking. I am not getting these premonitions any more?

Maybe the clock checking was like a premonition for you? You just got the message in your brain to look at the clock at that time each day...

maybe or maybe not the time had significance, but it was a driven premonition to look at the clock .

I now wonder if the foggy brain and other chemicals released in the body when glutened, actually made us more perceptive on a different level?

I have read that some were more creative in an art sense than they are with going gluten free.

Honestly though, I would rather have the clear brain that comes with going gluten-free , than the horrid feelings my brain would endure before going gluten-free.

But there really does seem to be a relation here, Does anyone else here relate to any of this?

I am the same way. I see 3:11 at least once a day. Not necessarily on the clock either. Itll be out of nowhere. Ill be driving, look at a house and the house number is 311. driving by a drug store and there was a sign saying soday 3/$11. Everyday I see 311. Its very strange

i always look at the clock at 10:08, i really dont think it has anything to do with gluten though. i know a lot of people that look at the clock at the same time every day and they arent celiac.

Yeah... I'll always look at the clock when it's 11:11... because I always want to make a wish... it used to freak me out... that every day I would catch 11:11.. twice a day...but it's really something called confirmation bias. It means that you are so concentrated on that time... that you are not paying attention to all of the other times you look at the times... but you pay attention to that one time.

I could look at the clock 20 times a day... and if I happen to see 11:11 twice... it's really not that big of a deal.. I just make it out to be because thats the special time I'm really paying attention to.