This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten In Sushi.

OneScrewLoose

OneScrewLoose Rookie

I've heard for the longest time that fake crab meat has gluten. Why is this? I thought this was just another fish? I've avoided it forever, but want to know exactly why. Also, what is the chance of a sushi place using glutenous rice? Is it worth asking? Should I leave if the chef doesn't understand my question? Do some places put any soy in the rice? I can't have soy either.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I've heard for the longest time that fake crab meat has gluten. Why is this? I thought this was just another fish?

Gluten is used in fake crabmeat to hold it together.

Also, what is the chance of a sushi place using glutenous rice? Is it worth asking?

Glutenous rice is simply a kind of rice that sticks together. This shouldn't be an issue.

Do some places put any soy in the rice? I can't have soy either.

I could be wrong but I think alot of sushi has soy sauce in the ingredients. Soy sauce in addition to having soy will also have wheat. Plain white rice should be plain white rice.

GFqueen17 Contributor

some sushi places also use malt vinegar on the rice..which is not safe for us.

tarnalberry Community Regular

wheat is used in imitation crab to help it hold together and give it the texture of crab, rather than pollack. there are a few kinds of imitation crab that don't have wheat (I've seen them at an asian grocery store nearby), but unless you get to see the ingredient list on the imitation crab, I would assume that it has wheat.

"glutinous" rice is just a particular subspecies of short grain rice - sort of like basmati versus jasmine in the long grains. it does not mean that it has the particular gluten that bothers celiacs. (all grains have gluten - it is the generic term for a grain protein. these glutens are chemically different, though parts of them can be similar celiacs are bothered by three (or four) specific glutens that happen to have a portion of them that is very similar - the ones in wheat, barley, rye, and some by oats. all the other glutens in other grains are fine. that's why "gluten" can sometimes be used in confusing ways and it's important to understand the context in which it's used.

I do not know of any places that put soy in the rice or seen any sushi rice recipe that calls for it, but I've not been to every sushi restaurant, so I certainly can't answer that definitively. (I also haven't seen of one that calls for malt vinegar either, but hey, restaurants do new and wacky things all the time!) There most certainly is often soy sauce in some of the preparations - eel is usually soaked in a sauce that has soy sauce in it. Many other sauces - even some of the mayo based ones - can often have soy sauce in them. When in doubt, ask. When still in doubt, try to find the overtly safe items (tuna roll, cucumber roll, etc.). When *still* in doubt, don't eat there.

kenlove Rising Star

ravenwoodglass answered well.

Sometimes it depends on what you order. anago, unagi, mirugai, torigai and some other types of sushi will often have a sauce basted on them which is soy sauce based. You also have to be careful of the wasabi. If made from powder, some wasabi has wheat starch powder in it. Fresh wasabi is no problem but its also fairly rare to find in North America and Europe.

Rice for sushi should not be made with malt vinegar and Japanese chefs wont use it but others do so again it depends on the caliber of the restaurant. Having trained as a chef in Japan years ago, I'm pretty fussy when I eat out. I do bring my own wheat free sauce with me. Don't have a problem with free soy sauce but since you have a soy problem you could check Braggs liquid aminos which a few reported they use instead with sushi. I'm not sure if its got soy or not.

Good luck

I've heard for the longest time that fake crab meat has gluten. Why is this? I thought this was just another fish? I've avoided it forever, but want to know exactly why. Also, what is the chance of a sushi place using glutenous rice? Is it worth asking? Should I leave if the chef doesn't understand my question? Do some places put any soy in the rice? I can't have soy either.
wschmucks Contributor
some sushi places also use malt vinegar on the rice..which is not safe for us.

I have been told this too. Even if you think it's silly...it NEVER hurts to ask if anything was added or cooked with the rice.

There was a post a few months ago where a girl got glutened by edemame that was steamed using water...that was previously used to cook noodles with gluten in it--CRAZY. I would ask cause you never really know.

OneScrewLoose Rookie

So I could have "glutenous" rice?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

Right, as long as its just rice and water and no broth is added. Sometimes in Japanese restaurants they will use kombu or wakame ( seaweed) to flavor rice which is ok. Hon-dashi made with dried bonito is also used an ok but not all broths are. You have to ask to make sure there is nothing with soy sauce in the broth used to cook the rice. Sometimes it depends on the type of Japanese restaurant or if its really Korean or Chinese folks making the sushi.

ken

So I could have "glutenous" rice?
candrews Newbie

I have also heard that if the wasabi is "fake" than it might contain gluten. Any ideas about that?

kenlove Rising Star

MOst of the wasabi powder like S&B brand usually has wheat starch in it. I did notice a new brand he other day I think called Sonic wasabi powder which said 100% pure dry wasabi. Didnt get it but it's nice to know its out there.

I have also heard that if the wasabi is "fake" than it might contain gluten. Any ideas about that?

Archived