Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Question About Raw Honey
2 2

31 posts in this topic

I eat honey with no fe3ar.

richard

Ads by Google:

Hello all! I am new to the forum and was excited to see this topic! For the past 2 weeks I have made gluten free pancakes on Sunday morning and have felt sick afterwards for the entire day. I used 100% pure maple syrup and the gluten free pancake mix. Well, the pancake mix calls for honey. I found it hard to believe that this would make me sick and I feared that maybe my gluten intolerance diagnosis was crap now. I researched online and found that honey can contain maltose. I was floored. I also found out that commercial honey is usually thinned and has syrup added to it. I bought a new pancake mix that does not require honey so I will let you know how it goes! ;)

A little late.

I would be concerned with the pan that was used to make the pancakes. When going gluten-free, I think it is important to consider all the places you have put wheat containing products and the likelihood that residual proteins have remained there.

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum but really glad I found it. I just wanted to add here that I react to honey every time. And coffee and tea too, though not always to tea. I have read that some companies use a gluten based food starch to seal their tea bags :(

i eat honey with no issues.  it doesn't matter, local or from grocery store, i'm ok with it.  o, the age old tea bag question:  nope, no wheat paste - i understand they are heat pressed so that the paper meshes to itself.  i use red rose brand tea bags and they have staples (no good for microwave, but i always make tea with boiling water)  

if you are new to the diet, you probably still have a lot of inflammation and there are plenty of things that are going to aggrevate your gut until you beging to heal.  try to eat plain 'clean' foods.  i would probably eliminate dairy for awhile, in the beginning many of us had a hard time digesting it.  i skipped it for about six months and then i was able to add it back in.  good luck :)

54 minutes ago, notme! said:

i eat honey with no issues.  it doesn't matter, local or from grocery store, i'm ok with it.  o, the age old tea bag question:  nope, no wheat paste - i understand they are heat pressed so that the paper meshes to itself.  i use red rose brand tea bags and they have staples (no good for microwave, but i always make tea with boiling water)  

if you are new to the diet, you probably still have a lot of inflammation and there are plenty of things that are going to aggrevate your gut until you beging to heal.  try to eat plain 'clean' foods.  i would probably eliminate dairy for awhile, in the beginning many of us had a hard time digesting it.  i skipped it for about six months and then i was able to add it back in.  good luck :)

Yep!  What she said!  :D

I react to honey- not because of gluten, but because of the high salicylates in honey